Worlds Fair and Columbus lighthouse

dra5049

Apr 18, 2008
Hi I am a college student studying spanish and I have a project to do. I am doing research on the Dominican Republics worlds fairs. If anyone can direct me to any kind of resource it will be much appreciated. I have so far come across some information regarding the columbus lighthouse but it is limited. I am planing on trying to make a replica for my project but I want to read up more on it and also the actual lights. I want to know what kind of lights are used...Again if anyone has any help it will be much appreciated. Thank you!!!

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Balaguer built the Columbus Lighthouse for an estimated US$200 million. (that was a LOT of money in those days). It was terrific when the sky was overcast, and one could see a giant cross shining on the clouds from miles away. The last time I saw it lit up was early in Hipolito's presidency, and since then most, or all of the lamps were/have been stolen. It has been dark since, as far as I know.

The lamps were huge reflector-type fixtures, mounted on steel in the concrete. No telling what size bulbs inside, but they were BRIGHT, and (according to one website) there were 149 floodlights, as well as the 70 kw searchlight that revolved and could be seen for many miles.

It became an issue due to the blackouts, and the electricity costs, and so they didn't light it up often.