how do I mail a gift to my friend in DR?

Lorna R

Dec 12, 2007
Hi, I live in Vancouver Canada and I met a very nice DR family in Dec. 2007 I want to send them gifts for their children and for themselves. What is the best way to send gifts to them in Baron? Thanks for your help. You can contact me directly at lorna-rush@shaw.ca.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
since this is a public forum, perhaps others out there in cyberspace could benefit from the information, no need to keep it secret by contacting you directly and also because private information coming from a silver or gold member of this board can be quite expensive. if the information is coming from a member in the DR payment can be in pesos, everyone else must receive euros. please be advised that payment must be received via private courier in a plain envelope clearly marked "gift" in advance of question being answered. this website is monitored by the british intelligence agency MI5 as well as the new version of the old soviet KGB, as such, posting one's e-mail address could bring unwelcome consequences. (while being interrogated, you never heard of ramon martinez). since i will answer your question here there will be no charge. use FED EX. it is the best but not cheapest.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Make sure you have the address right. By 'Baron' do you mean Beron, near Punta Cana? (Just to confuse matters it is also spelled Veron.)

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Amparo's correct. If you want to send it through formal channels (rather than with someone going to DR in their suitcases), the only way to sure it will get there is send it Fed-Ex (if it's in Santo Domingo, you can also safely utilize DHL). Make sure you provide them with a working phone number for the recipient, in case Fed-Ex needs to call to get delivery directions. Addresses in the DR are often problematic, even in "nice" neighborhoods. For example, where we lived in Santo Domingo had two places with the same street number on the same street. We frequently had to be called in order to receive packages, and give them coordinates (X avenue between Y & Z streets). LOL

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Folks, that's VERON, according to the signs there.

If you have their name & address, you can use any of the express agencies. FedEx, DHL or Brown (UPS)....All have service to that area. Please include the local phone number.

Otherwise, see if you can have someone take it with them when they come down.

HB

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
There you go, Lorna: the word from the Sage of DR1. It doesn't get more authoritative than that! HB has forgotten more about the DR than the rest of us put together remember. ;)

Keith R
A big HB fan

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
USPS Express Mail.
Cheapest of all and 2-3 days longer. Delivered to the address as well.
I use them often. $25US - initial charge (up to two pounds) , each additional pound approx $3.50 - $4.00/

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
USPS Express Mail.
Cheapest of all and 2-3 days longer. Delivered to the address as well.
I use them often. $25US - initial charge (up to two pounds) , each additional pound approx $3.50 - $4.00/

Then they have improved alot over the years. When someone sent something to me in SD in 1999 via this route, it took weeks. There was nothing "express" about it. And oh, it was not delivered to my home like it was supposed to be -- I had to go to the main post office near the Feria, and get passed between 2-3 windows before they found it. And no, there was no customs issue involved, it was just papers.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Then they have improved alot over the years. When someone sent something to me in SD in 1999 via this route, it took weeks. There was nothing "express" about it. And oh, it was not delivered to my home like it was supposed to be -- I had to go to the main post office near the Feria, and get passed between 2-3 windows before they found it. And no, there was no customs issue involved, it was just papers.

True. They are a bit slow.

But cost of a bigger package is 50% (or even more)cheaper than with any other. For instance UPS quoted me $400 charge for a package of approx 18LB that I shipped with USPS Express for $85.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I, too, have received stuff via the USPS International Express Service. It actually works and I tend to think that the DR Postal Service kind of likes to deal with them. That is, they are proud to be able to provide this service. There is a special cage in Santiago that handles this sort of mail. Again, I am sure that it could be used, if Canada has a similar service and the OP has a really good address.

HB

yogibear

Jan 27, 2007
just sent papers to puerto plata from the UK with fed-ex took just three days very good service

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
yes i agree it is VERY expensive but sometimes worth it if you dont want things 'lost' [aka stolen]. i usually ship CDs or documents/photos so its no big deal, good service! :)

lili4ever

Jan 22, 2008
I've mentioned this before but I sent a christmas package to my fianc? in Santo Domingo December 12 2007 and he still did not receive it. I sent it via Canada post - air small packet. Cost me $14 to send it. I contacted Canada post and they are investigating it. The value of the gift was over $200. I had kept the receipt which they took my infos and my fianc?'s infos...sent a letter to DR post...awaiting a response from them. I probably will get my $100 insurance money. Someone out there smells and looks good!!..

I did send earlier in the year through the same service, another gift and he did receive the package. I beleive that since it was xmas...someone made themselves an xmas gift....

I would pay a little extra and have it sent xpress post with a tracking number....or better yet...there's always someone going to DR...and have them bring it...

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I've mentioned this before but I sent a christmas package to my fianc? in Santo Domingo December 12 2007 and he still did not receive it. I sent it via Canada post - air small packet. Cost me $14 to send it. I contacted Canada post and they are investigating it. The value of the gift was over $200. I had kept the receipt which they took my infos and my fianc?'s infos...sent a letter to DR post...awaiting a response from them. I probably will get my $100 insurance money. Someone out there smells and looks good!!..

I did send earlier in the year through the same service, another gift and he did receive the package. I beleive that since it was xmas...someone made themselves an xmas gift....

I would pay a little extra and have it sent xpress post with a tracking number....or better yet...there's always someone going to DR...and have them bring it...

Shipped from NYC on Apr.10, received today in Sosua (delivered to home). Apprx. 20 LB. $105 US. USPS International Express.