Buying Gold in the DR

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I know there is a good bit of gold mining in the DR. Does anyone know if gold is a good buy here compared to the US. I am off to SD this week for a few days. Anyone know of a good place to buy gold in the capital. Thanks

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
what exactly are you looking to buy, jewelry, coins, gold bars, gold dust, nuggets? what karat? do you have a problem with poorly lit parking lots at night?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I am just looking to buy for the wife's birthday, jewelery. Not afraid of dark spaces but I would not assist a thief in profiting from their victims by buying anything stolen. Maybe I should begin by looking in the compra-venta shops first. Just thought that since gold is mined in the DR that it might be available at a lesser price than in the US. Is it Falconbridge near Bonao that does a lot of metal mining?

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Just thought that since gold is mined in the DR that it might be available at a lesser price than in the US. Is it Falconbridge near Bonao that does a lot of metal mining?[/QUOTE]

Is gold in the DR mined or panned?

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Where is an active gold mine operation in the DR....

.... I just must be sleeping since I keep missing where these precious metals operations are located. I know there used to be large operation years ago....but it closed down (with all types of environmental concerns to boot). Then there was a gold sulphides discussion from that same old operation ...but that has not happened yet. Then there is lots of talk on new exploration and concessions for gold...but I obviously am missing where the acual mining operations are located that are extracting gold here in the DR.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
I wasen't aware that gold was mined here I believe there might be exploation going on but an actual mine? . Bauxite mines yes Fero-Nickel yes.

As for cheap gold, wrong Island. St. Thomas is the place to go

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
Gold in them hills

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...orts-new-gold-discovery-in-Dominican-projects

SANTO DOMINGO.- (PR-USA press release).- The company GoldQuest said today it has found more gold in its Jengibre project, in sediment samples taken by geologists from a stream in the program funded by its partner in the venture, Gold Fields.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...ew-gold-zone-discovered-in-Dominican-Republic
Santo Dominigo.? Unigold Inc. announced the discovery of a new gold zone on the southwestern flank of the Los Candelones high-sulfidation epithermal gold deposit, in the province of Santiago, Dominican Republic.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/th...corporationpledges-help-for-rural-communities
SANTO DOMINGO.- Pueblo Viejo Dominicana Corporation (PVDC), a subsidiary of Canadian-Dominican mining company Barrick Gold, Inc. has signed an agreement with the Association for the Development of San Jose de Ocoa (ADESJO) to start small development projects in communities bordering the Pueblo Viejo mine, such as Cotu?.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
"Gold in them hills"

Again...these are not active operations.....just discussions/exploration.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Bob....please tell me where they are actually mining here in the DR for gold...you indicated there were active operations in your answer to the OP's question....I am only asking you where these commercial operations are (see my post ...I know about all the hype and the old operation).

Last edited:

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
P.S. I am sure these operations are located "real close" to the recent "emerald find" announcement (which is all hype as well).

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Why is it important to you whether the gold deposits are active mines. The large deposit that Barrick has rights to is real, not a speculative company(Barrick) or fools gold.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
real gold, the 14 kt jewelry is real and costs less in the DR than Canada or the USA. Where the origin of the gold is I don't know. My wife goes to a shop off Av Mexico in Santo Domingo that she says is reliable, run by Chinese if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Bob....please tell me where they are actually mining here in the DR for gold...you indicated there were active operations in your answer to the OP's question....I am only asking you where these commercial operations are (see my post ...I know about all the hype and the old operation).

There are no ongoing extraction Gold mines in the DR as of this date...
The gold that gets reported mined is the byproduct of non-gold related mining operations in other mines.

However, there are major gold finds in the Rosario Dominicana and Pueblo Viejo mines as of today. They're being set to exploitation once the environmental impact has been satisfied 100% before they start.

Gold is cheaper in the DR than the smaller island in the Caribbean by sheer number of markets and imports...

Mccoolhill

Jun 11, 2007
I see at some norwegian web pages that DR is the 5. biggest gold exporting country in the world, so I can understand that gold isn`t that expensive here.

sosuajames

Mar 8, 2005
Does anyone know where to buy gold and silver coins for investment???

anywhere. melt price is melt price. gold is only worth market value when dealing in coins. a friend of mine owns a coin and stamp store and he only purchases for "melt" prices which is the term for market prices. he doesn't care what special edition or who is on it. its all the same.

best off just buying bullion from your local bank