Sending documents to the Canadian Embassy in Haiti..archive info 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
Hi

My husband has just received his call for his interview, it will be Monday morning at 8:00 AM, the girl who phoned said all he needs is his passport. She said she did not anticipate any problems, so all should be good. My question is I heard that new immigrant to Canada can not be on a flight that goes through or stops in the USA, does anyone know if this is true or not

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hi

My husband has just received his call for his interview, it will be Monday morning at 8:00 AM, the girl who phoned said all he needs is his passport. She said she did not anticipate any problems, so all should be good. My question is I heard that new immigrant to Canada can not be on a flight that goes through or stops in the USA, does anyone know if this is true or not

My Mother-in-law, after receiving her visa to come to Canada as a immigrant, went to the USA Embassy and applied for a VISA and received a 10 Tourist Visa. When my nieces came for school this past summer they also went to the American Embassy after getting their Canadian Vistors Visa's and they received Transit Visa's to go through the States. If you don't get the VISA they can't go through(land) the states.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I split your question so we don't mess up an ongoing thread.

Bob I'm wondering if men would have a harder time getting a US visa on their first trip to Canada than women and young girls. ;)

Mart let him try it once he has his visa to Canada.

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
thanks

thanks for the responses. I thought that may be the case, now it is to find a direct flight to Canada, I have heard that it is nto easy to get a flight out as many airlines will refuse you if it is yoru first visit. They don't make this process for easy. Any ideas on what arirline to try

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
A little bit of advice

Forget about coming through the USA. The visa is for Cda, and no other country will grant him entry with that visa. Even when he's here in Cda for a while, and wants to visit the US, you have to apply for a special visa to get stamped into their passport in order to enter the US even though they are permanaent residences...(it costs $100 USD) and you have to show proof of employment IN CANADA, a bank of account in Cda, property in Cda (if applicable), and ties to Cda that he would be returning to Cda, not staying in the USA. (the more documentation you have the longer the visa is valid for) in order to get the US visa issued, once he has landed in Cda, that is)

My husband arrived in Cda in the beginning of Dec. And he went to every and all flight places. Air Cda is a rip off (totally to expensive), but you get more opportunities to fly as they fly more freq to Cda.

He went to Sunquest, who flat out told him no, they w ont sell him a ticket...very frusterating. As did Skyservice, who said no charter flights will let Dominicans on their flights...to refer them to Air Cda, so the Cdn gov't advised them...?!?!? (which is Bullsh**) but who am I to argue???

He went to Air Transat and had no problem to get on a flight, only had to wait until the day after the flight dropped people off in the dr, in order to see if there were any seats avail for the return portion back to Cda. Thats when he got his ticket.

Where is your husband flying from, my husband came from Puerto Plata. And there is an Air Transat by Burger King (by the torn-a-about, across from the baseball staduim).

Hope this helps
Lisa

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
it helps

Thanks Lisa, it does help, My husband is flying from Puerto Plata, and I woudl agree we looked into Air Canada, wow expensive! I live in Saskatchewan and I am not sure how many flights we get here in the boonies, LOL Do you think it is possible to fly him to Toronto, or Edmonton then to Saskatoon. I am not having any luck with travel agents here they keep saying he needs to purchase the ticket there.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Thanks Lisa, it does help, My husband is flying from Puerto Plata, and I woudl agree we looked into Air Canada, wow expensive! I live in Saskatchewan and I am not sure how many flights we get here in the boonies, LOL Do you think it is possible to fly him to Toronto, or Edmonton then to Saskatoon. I am not having any luck with travel agents here they keep saying he needs to purchase the ticket there.

Refer him to the Air Transat by Burger King, across from the Baseball stadium...close to Coco Tours.....he should know where it is. I think her name is Sophie, or Sadie. Phone # is 809-970-2121. She speaks English, I think she is Cdn. Orlando went and got it booked, and it cost him 15000 RD one way into Toronto....which was about $500 Cdn, rememeber it was in Dec before Xmas, when the prices went up. You can probably get him one into TO for about $300-400 USD.

You can call to ask if they book in Calgary or Edmonton, and if he fly there....same procedure too.

Hope this helps
Lisa

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
A couple of thoughts for you

Also he has to buy it on his end. Can't book it through us. So if you are paying for the ticket, you'll have to send the money down to him.

I tried to purchase it on my end, and it was a no go, b/cv they ahve to see his passport, and perm residence papers he gets form his interview.

At his interview they will give him an envelope, which the Air Transat lady will open (despite Immigration saying don't open until Immigration in Cda asks for it) but it's o.k. The Air Transat lady HAS to open it, in order ot see he has perm residence status in order to be able to sell the ticket.

Also, when you husband gets his visa, tell him not to freak out b/c there is an expiry date of 3 months on it. That is how long he has to get to Cda before it expires. Once he gets to Cda, Immigration in Cda will put a pen line through it, making it null and void, take a picture of him and send him his perm residence card in the mail a few weeks later. He will get a letter stapled into his passport declaring he has perm residence status, taht will allow you to register for his SIN card right away, and health card etc....they need a copy of that, as it takes a few weeks to get the Perm Res card.

I also recommend taking out a saftey deposit box (if you don't have one already) to put all the docs for him, in, at the bank. That way if anything were to happen to your home (fire, thef,t etc) the dosc are safe. I have his passport, and Perm Reisdence card, and Cedular.... in ours. I took him to our local municipality and got him a Nova Scotia ID, so he has a picture ID. Just a suggestion though. PM if you have any other questions, or need assistance.

Lisa

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
thanks

this information has been very helpful. We are both a little nervous tonight. I will call Air transit as soon as I hear form Juan about the interview

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I split your question so we don't mess up an ongoing thread.

Bob I'm wondering if men would have a harder time getting a US visa on their first trip to Canada than women and young girls. ;)

Mart let him try it once he has his visa to Canada.

why would they?

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
immigration interview

Hi

My husband had his interview today in Santo Dominigo, the lady who interviewed him, said she thought it was rather fast that we got married, so she is going to send a letter to me and I have to go talk to a judge. Can anyone tell me more about this. Why do I have to see a judge and what do I need to talk to the judge about.

wendy_s

Oct 26, 2005
Hey Mart,

I'm sorry to hear the interview wasn't successful. Believe me, I have nightmares about all the bad things that could go wrong when my husband has his interview as well!

So was your husband denied the VISA then? If this is the case, you will probably have to petition and hire a lawyer. Talk to your husband and find out exactly what happened in the interview and when you get the letter from Immigration and find out what it says, I'm sure you'll have a better idea on how to proceed and take action.

I wish you luck!

GringaRubia

Sep 9, 2006
This kind of sounds like it is on adminastrative review, since the petitioner (the wife) wasn't at the interview to answer the questions that the CO's had about the marriage. The consulate officers probably want to investigate the situation further and have the wife give some info about the marriage. I have heard that if the petitioning spouse doesn't go the chances of being denied are greater so being on "review" is a lucky break. I'd follow the instructions as given by the consulate and if he is given an "open cita" go with him to the appointment.

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
thanks

Thank you I guess we just wait now for the letter to come from immigration. No the girl who interviewed did not say he was denied the visa, she said I had to talk to a judge. She said she would still forward his papers to Haiti. My present employer has agreed to send a letter stating he has a job when he arrives, do you think this will help?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Gringarubia is mistaken

We are talking about Canada's Immigration and non of the sponsoring spouses that I know have been present at any interview.

If they said it was too fast it means there wasn't enough proof of a real relationship and that he more than likely didn't know enough about his spouse when asked.

Read Lisa's blog about the interview http://www.dr1.com/blogs/entry.php?u=baileyboy&e_id=3381

Let us know when you get the letter what it is you are suppose to do ;)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
My present employer has agreed to send a letter stating he has a job when he arrives, do you think this will help?
If Canada (I'm guessing that's where you live, based on the reference to the package being sent to Hati) operates similar to the US, employment is not relevant for a spousal visa.

I've always recommended that one goes with their spouse on the interview. While not required, it helps to prove a real relationship. I've been shot down by people that it's not necessary or too expensive, but I say it should be done.

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
not sure

Gringarubia is mistaken

We are talking about Canada's Immigration and non of the sponsoring spouses that I know have been present at any interview.

If they said it was too fast it means there wasn't enough proof of a real relationship and that he more than likely didn't know enough about his spouse when asked.

Read Lisa's blog about the interview http://www.dr1.com/blogs/entry.php?u=baileyboy&e_id=3381

Let us know when you get the letter what it is you are suppose to do ;)

Juan said the interview was going really well, all in Spanish by the way. She said I had sent along a lot of stuff but would still need to talk to a judge, I am not sure what the judge has to do with it. She said she would send a letter to me, Juan asked when and she said maybe a week or two or maybe longer. Juan said at the end of the interview the lady was not so nice anymore, she said it is not a problem, I will send everything to Haiti and they will send it back to you, so does that mean they are going ahead. the waiting for this letter is going to be excrutiating

Status
Not open for further replies.