Assistance with Permanent Residency

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Our temp Residency expires in June 2008. Can any one recommend someone to walk us through getting our Permanent residency? Our temp was not that easy and are hoping for a recommendation based on your experience. I searched the forum but was hoping for current information.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I believe that the DR1 Lawyer, Fabio Guzman at Guzman Ariza & Asociados can help you.

We have used Jordi, an immigration Lawyer in S.D. A nice guy and easy to work with. He speaks English. 809-350-0098. We sent him, via Caribe Bus, our temp. cards and he got our permanent without us having to go. He does have all our files.

Regards, Ringo

Last edited:

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I believe that the DR1 Lawyer, Fabio Guzman at Guzman Ariza & Asociados can help you.

We have used Jordi, an immigration Lawyer in S.D. A nice guy and easy to work with. He speaks English. 809-350-0098. We sent him, via Caribe Bus, our temp. cards and he got our permanent without us having to go. He does have all our files.

Regards, Ringo

Would be very interested to know more... we also need to renew our residency soon and papers are with a lawyerwe used for temporary in SD. Anything to save making that trip down there would be worthwhile - what sort of cost?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have a good friend Javier who is Ecuadorian who is actually applying for his permanent residency. In fact we are both going to the capital this week to apply for his premanent and my temporary residency. He only speaks a little English, though. BTW, getting a permanent visa should only cost you RD12k to 15k total, lawyers fees incl.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Call Fabio or Jordi. I don't know the costs and might depend on being a new client and having to get and review all the papers.

For us, a lot less then driving down from Sosua, getting a hotel and standing in the wrong lines in the wrong office. Then having the Mrs. want to go shopping. lol.

Regards, Ringo

You must go to S.D. for your perminant Cedula.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

Regards, Ringo

How did you get around the medical test for your permanent residency if you didn't travel to SD?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have a good friend Javier who is Ecuadorian who is actually applying for his permanent residency. In fact we are both going to the capital this week to apply for his premanent and my temporary residency. He only speaks a little English, though. BTW, getting a permanent visa should only cost you RD12k to 15k total, lawyers fees incl.

If you have the time, it's much cheaper to do it yourself.

Most people I know that have done it themselves in order to save money, said that if they had to do it all over, they would pay a lawyer :)

Using a "reputable" lawyer you cut out the time factor and any potential guarantor letter hassles. Plus they know what's what etc.

If you decide to use a lawyer or law firm, make sure they have a well documented history of delivering "legal" residencies, both temporary and permanent.

My pick would be Fabios' firm. Plenty of DR1 people have used them and are very happy. Contact them directly for pricing and let them know you have come via DR1. They will look after you!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I didn't ask and don't want to know. They got blood, twice, before.

Regards, Ringo

I would double check, it may come back to bite you, especially if you have an accident or legal problems here. They love looking for loop holes, especially if money is involved :)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The Virginian,

If you are in or close to Santiago, the Immigration office there is very helpful and friendly.

Work should already have been started
on getting the permanent residency, it takes a while for all the work to be completed and processed.

The permanent residency is much easier then the temporary, paper work wise. Lawyers are not really necessary, but do what ever makes you more comfortable. I did my own and I don?t even speak conversational Spanish (.. as some would say here, I don?t speak Spanish).

It was very easy to do.

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I have my Cedula. I don't know if it is in "The system". Had small problem getting my drivers lic., but got around it.

(I'm not entering any info. anywhere if I can help it.)

lol, Ringo

Nobody asked you to post it on here!
That is an official JCE website, have you renewed it, if you did sin problemas it is real, if not, ya may have a piece of plastic with your name on it. (Go to the Police Station and have them run it...assuming you know an officer)

Just a heads up, there are many fake ones issued without a medical.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If you have the time, it's much cheaper to do it yourself.

Most people I know that have done it themselves in order to save money, said that if they had to do it all over, they would pay a lawyer :)

It is much cheaper, and better, we have a cu?a in the immigration office in la capital, hey, when in Rome...

Using a "reputable" lawyer you cut out the time factor and any potential guarantor letter hassles. Plus they know what's what etc.

We're using an example letter the local immigration office provided. We will meet with the lawyer to sign it tomorrow, all for RD500.

My pick would be Fabios' firm. Plenty of DR1 people have used them and are very happy. Contact them directly for pricing and let them know you have come via DR1. They will look after you!

For those so inclined, sounds good to me.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Is your Cedula in "The system", is the big question?

Estatus Solicitud Cédulas

I know my cedula is valid but it doesn't come up on the JCE website. Is that only for cedulas of citizens now? A few years ago I could verify my cedula on the JCE website.

Hating to make trips to the city of Santo Domingo if I can avoid it, I have a few questions:

1) What is the current validity period for a renewed permanent residency card? Is it still one year? Two Years the expiration date is on the card Fecha Expiracion

2) What is the current validity period for a Cedula? Mine was reissued in 2006 and expires on my birthday in 2010. The rules may have changed on this.

My answers in bold.

Many government processes have been streamlined under the current administration.

PRD - corrupci?n bruto
PLD - corrupci?n conceptualizada
PRSC - salami
the small parties - Da me algo.

Pa 'lante la yipetocracia.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
How did you get around the medical test for your permanent residency if you didn't travel to SD?

When Hippo left office, and all his thieves in the administration (incl. immigration) knew that they would have problem to rob anymore, we bought our Residencies. We got the permanent right away. We had to go there, photo taken, information in their system. They asked for blood type, that was it... 5 minutes, 800 dollars, no medical, nada, and no need to go back a year later. Two weeks later we had the residencies (permanent ones) and cedulas. Remember though that u need long pants to enter the office, at that time some baracks.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
DR Mpe - Now that's a deal! $800 no medical and no year wait? Instant Permanent Residency. Have you verified your residency since you got it? Where do I sign up?

The rules have changed... This was 4 years ago. Hope the blancos wins!! and hope for same chaos/opportunity as back then. My friend did it a year ago and he had to do it twice to get the permanent. I am sure that it is possible to get round it if u have the right connections, unfortunately I can not help u there.