Inquiring about employment opportunities

flowbear

Apr 21, 2008
Hello! Folks,
I visitied the DR a month ago and fell in love with the country. I'm originally from Haiti. I lived in the United States for 20 years. Hold a Bachelor in Accounting. Just want an interesting job to get situated. I'm not expecting to earn a lot, though that would be nice. I'm very realistic. I'm a bit of an entrepreneur and I expect things to get better in the not too distant future. My best asset: language skills. I speak English, French, Haitian Creole, and little little Spanish. I'm eagerly learning Spanish. My favorite place to live would be the Capital. That will be all for now. Please, help.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Welcome to DR1
The 'little little Spanish' will be your greatest disadvantage. You could probably get some work translating/interpreting between the other languages, and/or as a French teacher. Once you know Spanish and you establish contacts your chances will improve.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I would take courses so as to become proficient with what the Tax Department (DGII) is requiring and then go to work for a local accounting firm that deals with local clients that have executives that are foreigners and would prefer someone who knew their language. The languages will come in handy with the international clients. There is lots of work these days now that the new tax systems require companies to be organized and get expert help to untangle all the new requirements. I would concentrate on learning Spanish as quick as you can, also. But accounting + languages should be able to get you a starter job so you can make a living. Once you are proficient at accounting here and dealing with all the new government requirements, you should be in a good position to quickly get a raise.

Last edited: