Going back to DR?

jms

Apr 22, 2008
Hello all,

First of all, I'll introduce myself: I'm a thirty-something male, lived for several years in Santo Domingo, and by that time posted here (rarely) under another username which I don't recall.

Since several years my (dominican) wife and I decided to move to my homeland and try out living there, (partly because of economical reasons after living the hipolito years). However, after living for 3 years in Europe we realize that we (both!) miss living in DR. My country is not the same as it was (or I am not) and I'm confident my wife will never see my country as her country.

We are seriously considering moving back there, even though we are aware that this might mean sacrificing a bit of living standards we are currently experiencing.

In the last few weeks we hear more and more 'rumors' that the economical situation is serious in DR and friends and family from DR are telling us que las cosas son duras.

Are there any people here that could give there opinion on the situation in DR and give any recommendation on coming back. I'm wondering if we are looking through pink glasses, cause I remember how much I disliked the apagones, (not having inversor or planta), but right now being ready to accept a black out every now and then and being able to live again in DR.

Or perhaps anyone has experience in this situation, living in DR, going back to their homeland and coming back or wanting to come back after a while?

Thanks a lot!

jms

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
As much as I disliked Hippolito, the years 2000-2004 were much easier on Gringos & Dominicans alike... Things are much tougher now. Prices have gone thru the roof...

However, where there's a will, there's a way...

Come down here, tour around to find out where you would like to live... Rent for a while...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
As much as I disliked Hippolito, the years 2000-2004 were much easier on Gringos & Dominicans alike... Things are much tougher now. Prices have gone thru the roof...

However, where there's a will, there's a way...

Come down here, tour around to find out where you would like to live... Rent for a while...

And if you have been living in any other country for the the past 4 years prices have gone through the roof also. With oil at $118 per barrel...etc the DR is affected more than most vcountries because they don't have oil and gas revenues or resources. Your statement about things easier under Hippolito leads me to believe 2 things - you have a very short and selective memory - and you know a much different group of Dominican than I do because most Dominicans I know are better off than 4-5 years ago.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Back Home

.... because of economical reasons after living the hipolito years). However, after living for 3 years in Europe we realize that we (both!) miss living in DR. My country is not the same as it was (or I am not) and I'm confident my wife will never see my country as her country.

When Don Hippo ruled we got more than 50 RD$ for one $.
One box of 'Presidente' (small) then was less than 6 $.
Now we pay about 24 $....
Go figure.

Dominicanas taken abroad seem to wither. away .. She'll be happier back home.
But how about you?

m'frog

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hello all,

First of all, I'll introduce myself: I'm a thirty-something male, lived for several years in Santo Domingo, and by that time posted here (rarely) under another username which I don't recall.

Since several years my (dominican) wife and I decided to move to my homeland and try out living there, (partly because of economical reasons after living the hipolito years). However, after living for 3 years in Europe we realize that we (both!) miss living in DR. My country is not the same as it was (or I am not) and I'm confident my wife will never see my country as her country.

We are seriously considering moving back there, even though we are aware that this might mean sacrificing a bit of living standards we are currently experiencing.

In the last few weeks we hear more and more 'rumors' that the economical situation is serious in DR and friends and family from DR are telling us que las cosas son duras.

Are there any people here that could give there opinion on the situation in DR and give any recommendation on coming back. I'm wondering if we are looking through pink glasses, cause I remember how much I disliked the apagones, (not having inversor or planta), but right now being ready to accept a black out every now and then and being able to live again in DR.

Or perhaps anyone has experience in this situation, living in DR, going back to their homeland and coming back or wanting to come back after a while?

Thanks a lot!

jms

Things will always be harder as years pass, that's a given!

First of all you'll notice petrol is far cheaper in the DR than Europe...

Food is expensive if you plan to load your pantry with imported brands...

Basic stuff is priced lower than you'll pay in Europe right now...

Electricity, cooking gas, water is like passing a kidney stone a month, but when not?

Basically everything is the same as you left them, just a tad higher given the hike in Diesel prices which have impacted the whole world the same; not just the DR.

On the up, you'll have a Metro to ride!!!! LOL!!!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I am not sure I can really help you with sharing the following with you:
I have traveled and had the privilege to have LIVED in many parts of the world. I also had a very wise Uncle who had traveled and lived abroad his whole life. One of the many wisdoms he shared with me was: "Son, where ever you go, never go back."
It took me years to understand the true meaning of that statement until I tried to settle back in my country of origin after several years in Germany, France and most importantly, Ecuador, where I got married.
First yes, I indulged myself in satisfying some long kept envies and desires... but then, I soon found that my memories of the place had been somewhat overly fond and a bit romantic maybe and that my country had changed and I myself had changed too. I felt like a stranger and Nationals around me seemed to assume too that I was a stranger. Maybe, that's how you feel right now in your home country.
So, what seemed the logical remedy? Yes! Go back (again!). After one and a half year we where back at where we left... Ecuador, the country we had fond and maybe somewhat romantic memories we had come to cherish during out stay abroad, a country which had changed, even thou maybe only half as much as my bride had during her stay in Europe. And somewhere, somehow I heard a voice from the past... "Son, where ever you go, never... " :)

I am not telling you don't do it. But I recommend you think about it more than once or twice (I am sure you did...) and look inside you and your wife and do as suggested by some of above posters here and try to stay for an extended period on trial. Maybe 3 months or so (not just a happy vacational visit at friends and family, fiesta, sancocho como lo manda la ley and habichuela con dulce asta que te harte de la vaina...), no, like you'd be living here. I know it's difficult to do but...

... J-D.

guandulera

Apr 22, 2008
I have heard "la cosa esta dura" since

In DR things are and will be always hard. However, it's all what ones really want to do. The first thing that a person who wants to go back needs to do is to find what he or she is going to work on. El moro siemre aparece in DR now your style of life is what make the difference. What are you willing to give up and what are you willing to change. Hope things are good for the ones who makes up their mind.:bunny:

jms

Apr 22, 2008
Thanks a lot all of you for the comments...:)

Definitely some usefull stuff....Going there to try out probably would be the best option but since we were married we have been living 2 years in DR , 3 years here in Europe, and we think we finally should make up our mind and make a final decision. If that means stay in Europe it should be like that 'forever' and if it means moving there the idea should be that we stay there forever as well (and never go back...)

I actually think after going there there will be moments that we regret it, but I know that if we stay we will probably think regularly: what if we....or...why didn't we. Probably one of the consequences of a marriage across borders.

I also think that the high prices of the moment (which we are definitely facing here as well, but due to good working opportunities at the moment we do not really feel them) should not be the reason in the end to not go, while this can be temporary and a sudden drop in purchasing power is something that one should consider as a possibility when moving to a country in development. Thanks again for the comments, it gives me the impression that with the good attitude DR is still a country that has a lot to bring besides the problems it has. At least until now I didnt see any message saying: don't ever come back, be happy you left this horror.

I ll keep you guys informed of the decision.....