Quick and simple entertainment system.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Here is a simple entertainment system for anyone who cares to listen and learn.
If you are moving here or already live here, why go through the trouble of buying TV, DVD player and stereo system when you can have it all the easy way? Here is what I have done.
A year ago my brother gave me a used defective laptop which I fixed right away, then on this recent trip he also gave me his docking station for the same laptop and his 17 inch LCD display.
So I put together the system as if it is a desktop but I can also take out the laptop just by pressing a latch. The monitor seems huge as compared to laptop display and I have connected an optical mouse and keyboard. Then I also connected my subwoofer and 2 satellite speakers that I had bought a while back. Then I went ahead a step further. I took a S-video cable and connected my TV to the docking station as well.
This is what I have now: I have computer which has internet (wireless), 14 gig of music to play songs like stereo through my speakers. Then if I need to watch a video, no matter in what format, I simple turn on my 27 inch TV and watch computer videos on my TV, DVD, DIVX, Mpeg or any other format. All play fine. If I get a TV card, I won?t even need my TV and simply use my computer as TV.
So in essence, I have a stereo, computer, DVD player and even telephone (IP telephony) all built into one. This saves me space and lets me avoid paying custom taxes for equipment like huge TV, stereo and desktop computers etc.
AZB

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
That is awesome AZB

Here is a simple entertainment system for anyone who cares to listen and learn.
If you are moving here or already live here, why go through the trouble of buying TV, DVD player and stereo system when you can have it all the easy way? Here is what I have done.
A year ago my brother gave me a used defective laptop which I fixed right away, then on this recent trip he also gave me his docking station for the same laptop and his 17 inch LCD display.
So I put together the system as if it is a desktop but I can also take out the laptop just by pressing a latch. The monitor seems huge as compared to laptop display and I have connected an optical mouse and keyboard. Then I also connected my subwoofer and 2 satellite speakers that I had bought a while back. Then I went ahead a step further. I took a S-video cable and connected my TV to the docking station as well.
This is what I have now: I have computer which has internet (wireless), 14 gig of music to play songs like stereo through my speakers. Then if I need to watch a video, no matter in what format, I simple turn on my 27 inch TV and watch computer videos on my TV, DVD, DIVX, Mpeg or any other format. All play fine. If I get a TV card, I won?t even need my TV and simply use my computer as TV.
So in essence, I have a stereo, computer, DVD player and even telephone (IP telephony) all built into one. This saves me space and lets me avoid paying custom taxes for equipment like huge TV, stereo and desktop computers etc.
AZB

I am betting that you will have many who would like your "assistance" in setting up. Hey now you can have the AZB home system , do it yourself, business. Just put together a few of what you have, and you can get your own DR infomercial. :cheeky: Just kiddin. Sounds great.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I will post a picture later. I am in my office now but later on, I will take a picture and post it. Its really a cool system as you have all the toys in one little place and you can use all the features just by clicking keyboard buttons. I chat on the net and play my music at the same time. then i watch videos as well and even make calls to my family with my headset. This is all from one table.
AZB

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I am technology impaired...so just reading that gave me a headache
I couldn't imagine trying to do it! JEJEJEJE

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
AZB, I have this wonderful thing called the SLINGBOX [www.slingmedia.com] and I can watch my TV anywhere in the world as long as I have a connection to the internet. It can come in handy when I want to watch my shows and or sporting events if I happen to be abroad! LOL
I have it installed at my job computer so I can still watch from my own desk! LOL
Also installed on my laptop for TV on the go!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Also installed on my laptop for TV on the go!

I know, this setup is better than anything when it comes to watching computer videos on to TV. No need to convert the format or anything, all is seen on TV. I download lots of movies and then watch them on TV or on my projector. Both connected to my laptop.
AZB

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Sounds great! I need something like that!
I am so technologically challenged I wouldnt know where to begin.
Can you cook and iron? And are you single LOL!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Actually, you don't even need all the gadgets that i am using. Just get a USB TV card for laptop and buy some small laptop speakers. Now you can copy someone's music and you are all set. just connect the powered speakers to your laptop, usb TV card for Tv viewing and you are all set. You now have a stereo system with thousands of MP3 music, Tv with all channels and wifi internet ready computer. All in one. Now you can play your DVDs on your laptop and also play any downloaded video. No need to buy a stereo, TV and a huge desktop computer. laptops are really cheap now in USA.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
This is my simple setup.
TV connected to computer system to play all internet videos.
2nlsn0m.jpg

2rqnfj9.jpg

laptop with docking station, monitor, speakers.

2e1gks0.jpg

laptop connected with docking station and external drive.

dxd644.jpg

Finally, sosua beach. No connection to the system setup, just to make some people jealous up north. hahaha
AZB

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
I run a dedicated HTPC (home theater PC) hooked up to the TV just for that purpose. There are plenty SFF (small form factor) computers to choose from nowadays (cheap too). With a 20$ MCE remote and software like Windows MCE or MEDIAPORTAL - free MediaCenter HTPC Software - Home it can be made completely seamless & useable from the couch. Latest TV series in HD quality and 5.1 sound among other things all available online (not fully legal, buy we're in the DR who cares). Only times I turn on the Telecable box is for News.

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
Question to AZB, and others. You state that you get all the channels with your USB TV card??? Could you explain this in a bit more detail please, what USB card, connected to cable TV, etc. Thank you.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The USB card is nothing more than a cable Tuner, which converts a cable frequency to be fed into your computer to be able to be displayed on VGA monitor as a video. You connect your local cable to it and watch it on your laptop as thou your laptop is a TV. A program comes with the hardware (USB tuner) which lets you watch TV channels on laptop or desktop. You can change channels on a supplied remote control.
AZB

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
Thanks for the explanation, I do understand. I was thinking along the lines that the signal is scrambled, so wondered if all the channels were available. I am staying just outside of Sosua at the moment and was thinking of fooling around with this idea.

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
So, then I take it, you will only get your subscribed channels...........not all. Thanks for the reply.