Wireless Internet Extenders

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
I am looking to 'extend' my wireless internet connection.
The wireless device is in my landlords house few hundred yards away from my apartment
I cannot get a connection in my apartment ...so I have to sit in their gallery.
Which is ok in the day but inconvientant a night.

Any suggestions on what I can buy (and where...in the DR or in North America)to extend the connection a few hundred yards more? Or is this not possible?

Warning I am not a techy person lol

Feb 7, 2007
Point to Point Wireless Bridges

search the google

here are some picks

Wireless Bridge, Buy Wireless Ethernet Bridge, 2.4GHz, 5GHz, 4.9GHz

Wireless Point to Point Ethernet Backhaul Bridges
Wireless Broadband Ethernet Backhaul Point-to-Point (PTP). From 2 to 20Mbps

BridgeLINK Point-to-point Wireless Ethernet Bridges

Page Title

♠RadioLabs || Point to Point Bridge -

Be prepared that your least expensive setup would run at least RD$12,000 + mounting poles + installation.

How far is your apartment? It might be cheaper to run Ethernet cable at 4-5 pesos per foot.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Try a "Wireless Range Extender"

........our property is two properties back to back from one street to another........our DLINK wireless router would only service 1/2 of the property so we added a "DLINK" DWL-800AP+ Wireless Ranger Extender........at a cost of $54.99..USD and we now cover the whole area...........

Very reasonably priced and works great...........

Fishguy

Oct 22, 2006
If you have a direct line of sight to the current antenna, just replace the antenna with a Hi Gain model. Typical factory originals are only 2dBi antennas.

Hawking Outdoor Hi-Gain 9dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

If you decide to use a repeater or range extender, it would need to be mounted somewhere between your two properties since you cannot currently see the signal at your place. Likewise, a single bridge wouldn't work because you can't see the signal where you are and would need to run cat5 from it to make up the distance.

You can get stronger directional antennas for about half the price, but this would mess with your neighbour's signal.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Thanks everyone

POP Bad Boy, I will look into your suggestion. Did you buy or order the product from the USA or is it available here?

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I bought mine.............

...........in the US and brought it down.............

It is very small.........about the size of 2 a deck of cards, twice as thick.........

Prices range all over the place..............if buying online i usually check google shopping with the model number to find the cheapest prices.........

Sanation

May 21, 2007
Internet Boosters

We were at Omega Tech in Santo Domingo on Wednesday and saw they had boosters in-stock for around US$50 - US$70. They also have a store in Santiago.

Santo Domingo 809 683 4343
Santiago 809 971 8383