Un proyecto que busca unir a RD, Hait? y Puerto Rico por v?a f?rrea

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
The CRD (Consejo Nacional de Desarrollo) proposes to build railroads between Haiti, DR and PR.

What's your take? Can this eliminate the yola trips? Will such railroads increase Haitian immigration to DR (not that there's anything wrong with people who want to better their lives!)? Discuss.

Source: El Dinero - Un proyecto que busca unir a RD, Hait? y Puerto Rico por v?a f?rrea (Spanish)

Moderator: please move this thread to a better place if this isn't the right forum.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Huh? They're not proposing a railroad to Pto Rico.

Good lord, the article says they are :tired:, then maybe Cuba & Florida.
Loco en la cabeza.

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by mariel
Can this eliminate the yola trips?
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I doubt it, less likely to die in a yola.

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
Great..............

Good lord, the article says they are :tired:, then maybe Cuba & Florida.
Loco en la cabeza.

Maybe they can get one to Canada too :cheeky: A large underwater tunnel perhaps! :ermm:

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
I guess the same way they built the tunnel between London and Paris? :confused:

It's amazing. Everyday I say "I've seen it all" and then there's a new something that makes me believe otherwise. Why don't they fix the electricity problem instead? *sigh*

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
In Sicilia, Danmark and Germany they put the train into ferry, that is not impossible, but still it is a dream, even in this country should put the transportation on rails consideracion the trafic actual.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Goodness gracious, I hope the foreign press gets hold of this, what will they be saying about us then?

This is downright embarrasssing.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
In Sicilia, Danmark and Germany they put the train into ferry, that is not impossible, but still it is a dream, even in this country should put the transportation on rails consideracion the trafic actual.

Yes, well, DR does not even have a viable RR system at this point.

And one would have to wonder what would be the ultimate point of such a system? Just to build it and say you did it? Would transhipping goods through PR on such a system really provide a significant cost savings to use of cargo ships? Doubt it.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Just to add some perspective of the unreality of this proposition, curently, rail systems are costing 100M per mile or more in major cities. Granted, real estate is much more expensive there but then again, you don't have to have piles that are 500 to 1000 meters in depth.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
I completely agree with you although I was just answering the question. I think it's possible, but not between DR and PR. Maybe the CRD should focus on solving the problems that DR has (but I guess I'm asking for a lot).

Sorry, but I seriously doubt anyone will invest the type of money that went into the Chunnel just to link the DR with PR by railroad. :tired: This project is more fantasy than anything else.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Oh come on... the map doesn't show a link to Puerto Rico; it ends in Samana. This is just some dumb Listin journalist completely confusing a railroad plan. An illustration of the sorry state of Dominican journalism.... The Mona Channel is more than 100 km, the Channel Tunnel something like 25.. ridiculous.
Still, a Samana - Haiti railroad is ambituous enough i'd say :tired:.

Then, I remember some conspiracy theorist on this board suggesting tunnels existing linking the US and Europe.... :paranoid::paranoid:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Couldn't find a link, but remember the Mona Island project that turned out to be an 'artistic happening' type hoax?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
There is no doubt that rail is a much more effecient, safe and eco-friendly means of transporting freight than Tractor-Trailer. One of the big problems is that in a 3rd world country on a geologic fault line, a single seismic event can cripple an entire rail system. Costa Rica used to have a railroad from San Jose to Limon on the coast. It was a wonderful thing til it was put out of comission by an earthquake decades ago and never repaired/rebuilt. All that freight is now hauled by truck across narrow, winding mountain roads.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The CRD (Consejo Nacional de Desarrollo) proposes to build railroads between Haiti, DR and PR.

What's your take? Can this eliminate the yola trips? Will such railroads increase Haitian immigration to DR (not that there's anything wrong with people who want to better their lives!)? Discuss.

Source: El Dinero - Un proyecto que busca unir a RD, Hait? y Puerto Rico por v?a f?rrea (Spanish)

Moderator: please move this thread to a better place if this isn't the right forum.

I guess they meant to have the train cars transported via ferry to PR and then onto rails back on?