Where are the universities located in DR?

travelaround

Jul 22, 2007
Universities,Rec centers...where are they located in DR and if anyone could tell me in what areas basketball is big in DR...thanks

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Mostly in the main cities, like Santo Domingo and Santiago...
Basketball? Just like above but with more emphasis in just the (2) cities named...

There are several universities offering classes in the DR all over the country, but their main campus remain in the big cities, where most of the population resides at.

Unlike the US and Europe (to some degree) the DR's colleges don't use athletic programs to woo students, nor are they full flexed to take advantage of them as scholarships based on student's attributes. You're better served by the privately run basketball clubs in the DR (which are many) and still enjoy the game.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The main universities are the UASD-The Autonomous University of Santo Domingo-which claims to be the oldest in the New World but only courtesy lets them do that. There was no university on the island for centuries, and the original Papal Bull was for Saint Thomas of Aquinas Seminary, certainly not for a raucous state school. The UASD has campus in many cities: POP, Nagua, Higuey, Mao, Santiago, etc.
Anyway, then there is the PUCMM, the Pontifical Catholic University Mater et Magistra founded in 1962 and run by the Dominican Council of Bishops.
Then there is UNPHU, the Pedro Henriquez Ure?a Nation University, founded by dissident (ie. non Communist) professors from the UASD in 1964(??).
Then Intec, the Instituto Tecnologico, also in Santo Domingo, founded by some former PUCMM professors and other liberal professionals.
Then APEC, which started as a secretarial school and developed into a reasonable full university.
UCE: The Central University of the East, in San Pedro de Macoris, is a for profit institution owned by Jose Hazim. It has been involved in degree scandals and is not considered to be a very prestigious institution--it is, however, very popular.
The UTESA, the Technological University of Santiago, was founded by Priamo Rodriguez, in the early 70s (??) and started out as a short course institution working out of rented classrooms in high schools. Because of the demand for anything remotely resembling a university degree, it has prospered and is possibly one of the three or four largest institutions in the DR. It does not, however, enjoy academic prestige and its medical school has been sorely blasted by the California Review Board...
The Catholic University of Santo Domingo is doing well, founded by leading Catholic lay persons.
The UNIBE, the IberoAmerican National University, is known as the rich kids school.

There are other university level schools like UAPA and the Third Age, the Evangelical, the Cibao Technological in La Vega, the Northeast in San Francisco de Macoris, the O&M in Santiago and other cities.

There is no organization similar to the NCAA, in spite of efforts that date back to the late 60s. The UASD is the only university recognized by the FIU and they will not cede that recognition to any other organization...so nobody plays. and nobody likes to play with the UASD since you never know who you are going up against. You might find that the national basketball team just happens to be registered as students (HAHAHA) in the UASD, even thought they can't read or write. Same thing for any other sport.
Many years ago I beat the crappo out of them at f?tbol, but that is because I recruited so much better than they did.

If you want basketball, you go to San Carlos, San Lazaro, Naco in Santo Domingo or
SAMEJI, CUPES, Pueblo Nuevo, CDP (Club Domingo Paulino) or GUG in Santiago. Each major town (well a few of them anyway) has a semi pro league and the top players go from town to town...La Romana, San Pedro, San Francisco, La Vega Moca, Puerto Plata all have leagues, as do Santo Domingo and Santiago.

I always said that Dr. Balaguer told his sports director Horacio Veras to push basketball since it took people's minds off of other issues....just like baseball.. There have been no riots nor major strikes that really bothered anyone during the baseball or basketball seasons in Santo Domingo...smart guy...

Okay??

HB

DOMINICAN-KIDD

Mar 21, 2008
Basketball Is Big In The Capital Especially In Los Minas !! Thats Where Im From !!!! ...there Is A University In Santiago That Has Bangin'chicks In It !!! I Got A College Degree But I Want To Know If I Can Take Some 5th Grade Math Class Up In There !!!!