Archie is now 6 weeks old - photos as requested by some members

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Archie has done well after being a 'house-lamb' for the 3 weeks since his Mum died. He has forgotten he was ever a sheep and walks through the fields disregarding his uncles and aunties and his Dad, runs to the gate when friends arrive, and generally believes he is a dog (even trying to eat the dog food now). Only difference to having a new puppy is that he is much more demanding!!!!! But we love him anyway....

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
OMG those are so adorable! Does he sleep with you like a dog too? Can you train him to do his "business" outside only? Does he go on walks on a leash? Curious minds want to know more of the story of Archie the house-sheep. I would imagine that the cloven feet would be slippery on typical DR tile floors, no?

One more question (for now)...since lambs I've been around jump on each other and their mama's backs, does Archie do this to your dogs? Have the dogs taught him to bark yet (oops that's another ?.)
TIA!

Last edited:

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
OMG those are so adorable! Does he sleep with you like a dog too? Can you train him to do his "business" outside only? Does he go on walks on a leash? Curious minds want to know more of the story of Archie the house-sheep. I would imagine that the cloven feet would be slippery on typical DR tile floors, no?

One more question (for now)...since lambs I've been around jump on each other and their mama's backs, does Archie do this to your dogs? Have the dogs taught him to bark yet (oops that's another ?.)
TIA!

So many questions.... lol. He sleeps in his own bed (big bowl lined with a towel) next to me in our bedroom. Am told it is impossible to house-train a sheep but we are working on it. Don't need a leash as he never leaves my side. The cloven feet do slip a bit especially as his legs seem so long for his body atm especially when he tries to run up or down steps out in the gardens but he copes well. Yes, he does jump on the dogs and they don't seem to mind at all (though they would chase sheep/ lambs out in the field given the chance!!) but no he does not bark like a dog but baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa's very loudly when he wants something!!

Funniest thing is that he drinks huge amounts of bottled baby formula milk but doesn't seem partial to water unless it is out of our house worker's bucket which has Chloro and Fabuloso added!!! Tonight he tucked into leftover sweet and sour pork with rice though.... am starting to wonder if I have made a HUGE mistake as one day he will have to return to the field (maybe?????????????)

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Doesn't sound like Archie is ever going back to that field! My question about the barking was serious. We had a cat that never learned to meow (sounded more like a dog). He lived 19 years and always had that weirdo cry. I'm not surprised that your dogs aren't bothered. Our golden retriever lets hamsters run amok in his long, luxurious fur and he cleans our cats (actually just the one that lets him who is too lazy to clean himself.)

So how much is the formula costing? I never had to buy formula for my kids, but I have had to use Espilac for kittens and puppies that were orphaned (my mom has always run rescues.)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
am starting to wonder if I have made a HUGE mistake as one day he will have to return to the field (maybe?????????????)

BushBaby asked me tonight if he baaaaaaarked :laugh:.

Don't know that you have made a mistake - I don't know how quick sheep revert to the 'wild' but if he has to return to the field, maybe he could assist Charlie at roundup time? If you start training him now to be a sheepdog (in sheep's clothing :cheeky:) by the time he returns to the field it'll be second nature. Then you can contact Channel 4 or ZigZag productions (the UK TV people who've been around Sosua filming) & suggest he becomes a 'star' in one of their shows :).

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
Your thread caught my attention as we have some land with animals. No sheep, but we do have some goats. Archie may be cute now, but he will grow up into a ram with a mind of his own. Some time ago, we got a bit too friendly with a little billy goat. When he grew up and developed large, curved horns he also developed a mind of his own. He refused to be kept in his enclosure with the other goats and broke out on many occasions. He only wanted to be either on the terrace or in the house butting his way through the screen doors. Sadly, we had to get rid of him. He may be very loveable now, but you should start weaning him from his dependence on you before it is too late!

J

John Evans

just out of interest what does a grown one of these beasts look like - im guessing its not as large as the uk variety..... I remember been chased across a field by a wild eyed sheep when we had a picnic once-

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
I don't know about that..............

Your thread caught my attention as we have some land with animals. No sheep, but we do have some goats. Archie may be cute now, but he will grow up into a ram with a mind of his own. Some time ago, we got a bit too friendly with a little billy goat. When he grew up and developed large, curved horns he also developed a mind of his own. He refused to be kept in his enclosure with the other goats and broke out on many occasions. He only wanted to be either on the terrace or in the house butting his way through the screen doors. Sadly, we had to get rid of him. He may be very loveable now, but you should start weaning him from his dependence on you before it is too late!

I grew up on a "farm" with many animals and had a "pet" lamb,( ok not very original here called him "lambchop"), and he remained with me for years. Never a problem. Yes he grew very large but was also very protective.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
just out of interest what does a grown one of these beasts look like - im guessing its not as large as the uk variety..... I remember been chased across a field by a wild eyed sheep when we had a picnic once-

His Daddy is a BIG boy in every way but unlike UK sheep they are hairy not woolly, will try to post a pic of him soon...:bunny: