a question about dominican heritage

ohomem_t

Jan 26, 2006
Hi,
I was just wondering about something. My family is Dominican, and both my
parents' ancestors came from Spain and intermarried in the D.R. The only problem is that my parents don't know what generation of ancestors came to the D.R., so it could be rather distant. My question is, if my family and relatives come from the D.R., thus making the Dominicans my people, can the Spanish also be considered my people if my ancestry to that country is so distant?

Tony

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
By virtue of heritage, both Spain and DR can be said to be "your" people.
The rule of thumb would be that once the third generation is achieve at some stage in a new country, then that would entail the children to become identified more with that late country as their people than the first or second generation ever could or will...

Yes and yes to both your questions...

contasm

May 10, 2005
Dominican heritage

Hi,
parents' ancestors came from Spain and intermarried in the D.R. The only problem is that my parents don't know what generation of ancestors came to the D.R., so it could be rather distant. My question is, if my family and relatives come from the D.R., thus making the Dominicans my people, can the Spanish also be considered my people if my ancestry to that country is so distant?

Tony

And let?s not forget to also consider your African ancestry as part of your Dominican heritage..

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
The question is worded rather oddly, but the gist of it is the extent of your heritage, correct? The honest truth would be that you, just like many Dominicans, are made up of so many things that, unless you have specific documentation, would be difficult to trace.

On one side you have your Spanish ancestors and god knows what that ancestral composition is like. Now we move on the Dominican side and this can be made up of so many cultures/ethnic groups. Depending on when the inter marriage happened there could be mixes of African/Haitian, Jewish, Chinese, Arab (Lebanese), other European, West Indian and X amount of other cultural/ethnic groups. It's interesting to know the "inter-mixing" that's happened in the DR and how immigration has played a big part in the cultural development of this nation.

So if you can provide some more details then you can start pin pointing some more details about your heritage.

Mr. Lu

contasm

May 10, 2005
you are assuming that every Dominican has African Heritage; most do, but not all.

I am assuming that TONY, not every Dominican, has African Heritage, given his comments regarding his Spaniard ancestor intermarrying in the D.R. x number of generations ago.
Bob, I agree with you; most do, but not all.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Agree and disagree

you are assuming that every Dominican has African Heritage; most do, but not all.

I would agree that in the physical sense not all Dominicans have African heritage. Some Dominicans are a mix of a variety of things and if their families haven't inter-married the African heritage, in that physical sense, is non existent. But it would be difficult to imagine a Dominican family that has been here for more than three generations, and inter-married on the island, not having the physical African heritage (i.e blood). It is possible and I could think of some cases where this would happen.

I would also point to heritage, not just in its physical form, but also in the sense of tradition and culture and in that way you could make the argument that every Dominican has some vestige of African heritage. I would point to the music, the dance, the foods, religions, the oral traditions, family make ups, etc. Though there are many other cultural points to draw upon African heritage is very present, directly and indirectly, in the lives of ALL Dominicans.

The questions is whether Dominicans recognize this, understand it and accept it. Even in the way many Dominicans look and how they interact can be a reflection of the African cultural diaspora. At the end of the day you could argue that in an indirect way even expats and migrant groups have come to embody African heritage.

To sum it all up, in a physical/biological way, not all Dominicans might have African heritage, but in a cultural/traditional, way they do.

Mr. Lu

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
While it's a good thing to know one's heritage, I personally am weary of people claiming a people as "their" people - we are one people, the human race.

Some of you may think that is an innocuous term, but then again, some of you didn't have the opportunity to grow up in the deep south of the US and hear how this term is used. The bottom line this so called love of "one's people" has what has sustained racism over the centuries - it is a simple fact of history and can easily be verified that those societies that historically have used terms such as these have been the most racist and have committed the the most heinous racially motivated crimes, etc.(Germany, Japa, Bosnia, etc, etc, ad nauseum)

Why can't people think out of the box for once and why do people have such a hard time recognizing this?

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
true

While it's a good thing to know one's heritage, I personally am weary of people claiming a people as "their" people - we are one people, the human race.

Some of you may think that is an innocuous term, but then again, some of you didn't have the opportunity to grow up in the deep south of the US and hear how this term is used. The bottom line this so called love of "one's people" has what has sustained racism over the centuries - it is a simple fact of history and can easily be verified that those societies that historically have used terms such as these have been the most racist and have committed the the most heinous racially motivated crimes, etc.(Germany, Japa, Bosnia, etc, etc, ad nauseum)

Why can't people think out of the box for once and why do people have such a hard time recognizing this?

I agree with that. In my first response I made a reference to the fact that the OP's comment was worded rather oddly. That whole "my people" thing always gets to me. As if the person saying it was the "messiah." Thanks for pointing this out. By the way, where is the OP? Haven't heard a peep from him yet.

contasm

May 10, 2005
hmmm..

Mr. Lu and Chip make good points regarding how the expression ?my people? is often used.. and misused.

But isn?t ?My People? the very basic corner stone on how nations are formed? A group of individuals with the same origin, same ancestry; eventually forming a common culture. On the other side of the coin ?.. we have Dominican Republic!!!!!! and as Pichardo commented; a melting pot indeed.

I can see and appreciate the essence of the OP?s question and what he?s searching for, as well as Mr. Lu and Chip?s idealistic, but probably correct, take on the issue.

Ok. Let me throw this one out there and see what type of comments\reactions we get. Here it goes:

Given the fact that we are a (relatively) recent nation, with diverse mixed people.. Could it be possible that we are not yet ready to recognize our Dominicanness as ?one people??
Is it the eagerness of belonging to specific, and sometimes ?prestigious?, groups the reason we do not see ourselves as ?one people? ?

It seems we are searching for one identity, and in that search, we are aware of our Taino, European, African and many other ancestries, however, until we learn to recognize that we are a mix and leaving it at that, the search will continue.
But one day, referencing Tainos, Spaniard, Africans etc; will be just a footnote, and not the main context of being Dominican.

Contasm

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I just don't think the majority of Dominicans are interested in this topic. There are various reasons why this is the case but I think rather than trying to dissect it as there was something the matter with it, I think we can learn a lot from it.

In others words the whole "heritage" issue as seen in the US is a product of a society opposed to to racial integration(hence one does not loose one's identity, bla bla ad nauseum) and is not something to be admired or copied.

This is not to say that knowing one's heritage is a bad thing - but the moment one starts defining one's worth because they are "Scots-Irish with a smidge of German" or from "Central Africa" imo they have turned history into a tool of separation, exclusion and ultimately racism.

EddyT644

Apr 18, 2008
I agree with it all. A lot of Dominicans have a strong african presence in their ancestry (such as myself), but not all of us.

EddyT644

Apr 18, 2008
I would agree that in the physical sense not all Dominicans have African heritage. Some Dominicans are a mix of a variety of things and if their families haven't inter-married the African heritage, in that physical sense, is non existent. But it would be difficult to imagine a Dominican family that has been here for more than three generations, and inter-married on the island, not having the physical African heritage (i.e blood). It is possible and I could think of some cases where this would happen.

I would also point to heritage, not just in its physical form, but also in the sense of tradition and culture and in that way you could make the argument that every Dominican has some vestige of African heritage. I would point to the music, the dance, the foods, religions, the oral traditions, family make ups, etc. Though there are many other cultural points to draw upon African heritage is very present, directly and indirectly, in the lives of ALL Dominicans.

The questions is whether Dominicans recognize this, understand it and accept it. Even in the way many Dominicans look and how they interact can be a reflection of the African cultural diaspora. At the end of the day you could argue that in an indirect way even expats and migrant groups have come to embody African heritage.

To sum it all up, in a physical/biological way, not all Dominicans might have African heritage, but in a cultural/traditional, way they do.

Mr. Lu

THIS WAS SAID SO PERFECTLY. Even if you are a white dominican, the mofongo you eat, and the merengue you dance (and other things) is a result of the african slaves' presence in the dominican republic years ago.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Hi,

Tony

I don't see why not, there are plenty of cultural things, including language and religion, received from Spain. Of course the connection will not be as strong as a Spaniard but there will aspects which will link the both of you.

The culminating of Spanish, African, Taino culture and even for some, Chinese, Filipino, Jewish culture creates the distinct one of a kind "Dominican" people and their culture. So, even if you can link just 1% of a distant relation which makes up your family tree, you have a part or link, even though a small one, nevertheless you have it.

ohomem_t

Jan 26, 2006
just interested in family background

Ever since I learned about the background of my ancestors, I have been interested in learning as much as I can about it. For instance, my paternal uncle has told stories about how one of my paternal ancestors, with the surname Diaz, which is the family surname, came to D.R. at one point and was part of one of several families who came there and settled in Santiago. I heard that the archives that tell of his arrival where destroyed at one point, so there's no proof in that sense. However, both sides of my family have constantly mentioned the Spanish ancestry, especially due to the fact that there are many people in the family with the typical European features, i.e., white skin, blond or chestnut hair, eyes of green, blue, or a light brown. When I ask my parents how come they really never looked into further learning about the family history, they said that their parents didn't consider it very important, and they don't think it's such a big deal either. I myself know that people are people, but it's interesting to learn know one's ancestors came from a place that has an interesting history and from which the family language originates. I feel proud when I know that an aspect of the D.R. culture, such as the merengue music, has such a great rhythm on account of the African influence that's present in the country. As far as the Spaniards, I think that some people from D.R. may be ignorant to the fact that the first Dominicans were Spanish colonists, and so may look at them as a completely different people.

Last edited:

nena_bay

May 4, 2008
www.myspace.com
idk how to help but i have a similar problem. i just found out last summer that my deceased grandfather is half dominican and half puerto rican. my mom just told me last summer. i was happy and all but the problem is that she doesn`t know anything about him or his family. how do you think i can find out my family genealogy?

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Question

As far as the Spaniards, I think that some people from D.R. may be ignorant to the fact that the first Dominicans were Spanish colonists, and so may look at them as a completely different people.

Is this your first "contact" with Dominican culture and history? Meaning is this the first time you've decided to venture into the labyrinth that is Dominican culture/heritage/identity? Your posts make me think so. I think you need a quick refresher course. There might be "another" reason your family touted the "Europeaness" of your ancestors and as for that whole first Spaniard/Dominican thing. All Dominicans know this and the "ig'nant" ones revel in it.

Not trying to be dismissive, just trying to help.

Mr. Lu

contasm

May 10, 2005
.. As far as the Spaniards, I think that some people from D.R. may be ignorant to the fact that the first Dominicans were Spanish colonists, and so may look at them as a completely different people.

I did not want to touch this one with a ten-foot pole !!!! But I?m glad Mr. Lu did, and very diplomatically I must add.

Yes.. A revision of ?DR? or ?Hispaniola Island? or ?Name given to Island before Spaniards? history is definitely required by Tony. The concepts of ?first Dominicans?, ?real Dominicans? are delicate perceptions that merit discussion and study from many different angles. Emphasizing the European part of the
Dominican equation seems to be the ?preferred? one, but again, it is just one of many that deserves a closer look. Perhaps some DR1 ?anthropologists? or/and ?historians? might want to contribute to this thread.