Price of a Gas Cooker in the POP area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
I am thinking of buying a free standing gas cooker for my Dominican friend who lives in the Puerto Plata area as a surprise. Could any of you living in the Puerto Plata - Sosua areas give me an idea of the current prices I would expect to pay in town?

Further afield - e.g Santiago is impossible for transport reasons so I am only interested in local prices, even though I know they will be higher.

I am looking for a cooker (we call it an oven in the UK) which is an oven/grill below and 3 or 4 gas rings on top that I can buy to replace her two gas rings that she currently uses.

Lambada, Planner, trabajadora et al - any ideas?

Rio

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
RD$ 5000 and up! Free standing, white, four burners and an oven. Bought one for a family a year ago and it just keeps on taking the abuse quite happily.

You need to shop these places... these "deals" kind of "migrate" from one to the other as they don't seem to have either total control of what they buy or not a constant supply, or both.

... J-D.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
RD$ 5000 and up! Free standing, white, four burners and an oven. Bought one for a family a year ago and it just keeps on taking the abuse quite happily.

You need to shop these places... these "deals" kind of "migrate" from one to the other as they don't seem to have either total control of what they buy or not a constant supply, or both.

... J-D.

Good point - I am actually in the UK and a bit frustrated by the fact that I cant wander around and find a deal. I do know a couple of shops in POP and have bought quite a lot in the past from Facil Muebles in front of the hospital. I was thinking if you guys could give me a guide price I could possibly call the owner and do a deal and have them deliver it to her.
Thats the plan anyway.......

Rio

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Really - is that new?
I thought it would be more.

:bunny:

Rio

Yes that would be new. As JD says if you shop around from RD$5000-6000 upwards for new. From RD$3000 for second hand at some of the compraventas or sometimes the gas tank places have the odd second hand cooker. Very odd second hand cooker sometimes............:cheeky: I'm a bit pressed timewise until after the election but if you haven't got it sorted after that & need my help, let me know. I haven't got time to go 'shopping around' for you right now, but I'm happy to go and pay for it if they won't take your credit card. Unless it's really urgent that it gets done now & if you're coming back in 4 months, why not wait & then you & B can go shopping together & she'll end up with the cooker she wants?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Yes that would be new. As JD says if you shop around from RD$5000-6000 upwards for new. From RD$3000 for second hand at some of the compraventas or sometimes the gas tank places have the odd second hand cooker. Very odd second hand cooker sometimes............:cheeky: I'm a bit pressed timewise until after the election but if you haven't got it sorted after that & need my help, let me know. I haven't got time to go 'shopping around' for you right now, but I'm happy to go and pay for it if they won't take your credit card. Unless it's really urgent that it gets done now & if you're coming back in 4 months, why not wait & then you & B can go shopping together & she'll end up with the cooker she wants?

Lambada to the rescue...what an incredible lady!

With all that and more that you take on, you step up to the plate (pardon the pun;)) without an ounce of hesitation.

Rio, you are very lucky to have such a friend in Lambada, and you with your own generosity are also one very noteworthy friend.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
.......Unless it's really urgent that it gets done now & if you're coming back in 4 months, why not wait & then you & B can go shopping together & she'll end up with the cooker she wants?
& if it IS urgent & needs doing before you are over here next Rio, I am sure Lambada can organise for the 'Gofer' to sniff out a deal or two!! Wouldn't be the first time I have 'gone shopping for stoves/cookers" for young ladies!!:cheeky: ~ Grahame.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
& if it IS urgent & needs doing before you are over here next Rio, I am sure Lambada can organise for the 'Gofer' to sniff out a deal or two!! Wouldn't be the first time I have 'gone shopping for stoves/cookers" for young ladies!!:cheeky: ~ Grahame.

"Gofer's" need to feel useful from time to time too lol;).

les1

Feb 1, 2007
I bought a basic one for 4000, but in Gasper Hernandez, delivered free to Rio San Juan. 4 rings and oven.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
What a pair of stars you two are!

Thanks Lambada and Bushbaby,

I didn't want to ask for your help because I know how much you two have got on and I was going to try and organise it myself. Cue disaster, Dominican style. :ermm:

I am back at the end of August but I wanted to surprise her with it on her birthday - June 18th - so if we could arrange something that would be great. I owe you two a dinner when I am over - :chinese: perhaps?

Rio

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I am back at the end of August but I wanted to surprise her with it on her birthday - June 18th - so if we could arrange something that would be great. I owe you two a dinner when I am over - :chinese: perhaps? Rio

June should be fine, we'll be able to organise something by then. Feeding not necessary but thanks for the offer. :) If I'm getting low on glucosamine sulphate powder or red rice yeast by then I might ask you to bring some in August though, if you wouldn't mind?

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
June should be fine, we'll be able to organise something by then. Feeding not necessary but thanks for the offer. :) If I'm getting low on glucosamine sulphate powder or red rice yeast by then I might ask you to bring some in August though, if you wouldn't mind?

It's a deal!

:laugh:

Rio

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
We can do the detail by email but I'll post this here in case others want the info. I was in town today: Facil Meubles have all sorts of new cookers from RD$5500 upwards. Beige coloured 4 ring & oven cooker with basic finish, brand American RD$5500 - functional & will probably take loads of punishment, GEC white cooker really nice finish RD$8500. Silverio Meson's had a white Polar cooker RD$9634 - extra features like fold down cover for the hob, maybe of use in gringo household where people might eat out quite a bit but not compatible with average Dominican lifestyle where hob will be in use most of the day.

These were the asking prices - no negotiating went on & no thumb screwing :cheeky: but I post just to give a ball park. Next time I get a chance I'll look elsewhere for the basic model in a different brand to see if the finish is better.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Three more shops done today, all up by Ricardo Limardo Hospital, all done in the middle of a cloudburst so my damp notes are a little difficult to read. Commercial Imperial has a Mabe at RD$8500 and a General Electric (same as one in post above) at 8600 - knock off 10% for cash on each. Facil Meubles has General Electric (ditto) 8500, an IEM (white) at 7500 & a Nedoca at 9500. El Lugar de Mueble has an Acros at 9000 & a light beige Super Chef 7000. At this point the heavens opened & the store manager was flirting mildly anyway so I decided to use the opportunity to negotiate - got it down to 6200 delivery to Sabana Grande included. The Super Chef was similar to the American posted above but a much better finish, better chrome & better saucepan holders.

So far my first pick would be the Super Chef at 6200 followed by the IEM at 7500. I have Lugar de Meuble phone number having assured flirter that if he thought I pushed a hard bargain, he should meet my friend in UK who was a real pro at negotiating. Plus she is younger, prettier & visits Puerto Plata often............:) yeah, I know its a kinda cheezy way to get the price down but, you know, it was raining...............

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
So far my first pick would be the Super Chef at 6200 followed by the IEM at 7500. I have Lugar de Meuble phone number having assured flirter that if he thought I pushed a hard bargain, he should meet my friend in UK who was a real pro at negotiating. Plus she is younger, prettier & visits Puerto Plata often............:) yeah, I know its a kinda cheezy way to get the price down but, you know, it was raining...............

What are you like! :rolleyes:

This is great - tracking down and buying a cooker - without any of the footwork or verbal skills! Thanks L - you are doing a "sterling" job. If you see one that is a bargain and needs snapping up - let me know and I will send you the money out straight away. I can just imagine B's face when she sees this arriving - I'm glad in a way I wont be there - the bear hugs and kisses just might be too much for me!!!

Yet again this week she has worked her butt off sorting something out for me - she pays me back tenfold for every peso I have ever spent on her and the kids. I am priviledged to have her as a friend.

Thanks again for helping Lambada.

;)

Rio

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Remote control shopo-robot reporting - week 2 :) . Went to the 2 Distribudor Gonzalez stores today thinking 'I bet they don't even have any inexpensive brands' Wrong! The DG on corner of Separacion & Beller (Parque Central) has a 20 inch white Royal at RD$6990, discount for cash brings it to 6255 - the chrome/gold bits where gas comes out are replaceable on this model.

DG store on corner of Separacion & JFK had the same: I queried the discount for cash saying their other branch would do me a better deal ;) but it didn't work. Salesman said his colleague's calculator must be misfunctioning :laugh:. This model & the 20 inch Super Chef above are similar quality, only difference is colour, Royal is white, Super Chef light beige. This DG store also had a 24 inch Sankey (!) Arco at RD$8100, discount for cash 7500. Then I spotted a bash on one corner (doesn't effect functioning) so got price down to 6885 for the damage. If you don't mind one with a bash on one corner this probably isn't a bad deal. Otherwise, so far if we stick to 20 inch it's the Super Chef or the Royal.

More in our ongoing saga from the gas cooker front next week...............:cheeky:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
We can now rule out Corripio on Beller. Cheapest 20 inch with haggling for discounts was RD$8625. Told the salesman I could do better elsewhere & he insisted his were better quality. This is for the same make and type, mark you ;). Seemingly if you believe him the manufacturers make different quality for exactly the same make & model number ............yeah, right.

Great shame, Corripio's used to be a competitive store - we bought A/Cs, large cooker & fridge there 8 years ago for the new house. I wouldn't ever have thought Distribuidor Gonzalez was better value than Corripio's.........until today. Now I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.