Suggestions for theme-based chats

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Following the success of last week's relaunched, sock-proof chatroom, several of us have discussed the possibility of scheduling a series of thematic chat sessions, with one or more resident 'experts' as hosts as well as a moderator to keep order.

Subjects could range from serious to light-hearted, and ideas put forward so far include:

Health, popular DR remedies
Scuba diving
Camping, Hiking
Dominican cooking
Golf in the DR
DR plant and animal life
Doing business
The DR music scene
Waste/recycling
Legal
Spanish lessons
Volunteering in the DR
Women only chat
Men only chat

We would like your opinion on this, and suggestions for non-controversial ;) themes and experts. The possibility also exists of inviting people who are not dr1 posters, and the themes do not have to be DR related, within reason.

Ideas welcome!

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
I like the idea but................

My question is what if someone goes "off topic"? the chat can get very "busy" at times,( with many talking all at once), would that be a "boot". Also if it is a men or women only chat, can the other watch what is going on,( I mean it could be educational),? Also if "experts" are called in, ( and I presume that this would be posted as to who, where and when), what type of credentials will they be expected to possess ? Just some questions that popped into my mind but I think the idea is great.;)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's very easy to deal with people that don't play by the "rules", they will be booted from the chat room, the mods have this power. We are all adults here, I'm sure it will work out and run just fine.

Sometimes it's best to just let things happen and see how things evolve, rather than think about rules, whats, buts, credentials etc etc.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
More ideas:

1. When Dominicans travel to different parts of the world - how do they perceive different countries, people and their culture/behavior (warm/cold, friendly/unfriendly/rude, indifferent, etc.)?

2. How do they like music in different places?

3. Just chat about people, cultures, differences and perceptions in general.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Literature - read and discuss Junot Diaz, Judith Alvarez, you could have a book club and discuss themes in the literature.
Spanish conversation (Levels)
Buying, renting, running a business, investing, import/export
Education, which schools, where are the jobs, which programs for foreign students, studying abroad.
Elections
Debates on history, economy etc. (Trujillo, Balaguer etc.)
Environment (Current issues, sustainable development, reducing your carbon imprint, ecotourism, protecting the wildlife)
Health (malaria, dengue, bird flu, TB, HIV)
Photography (equipment, tips, great landscapes, using the Internet to post them)
Dominican blogs
Questions & Answers on life in the DR
Bringing your Dominican to your country
Weddings
Dominicans abroad
Community involvement (volunteers, charity, missions, orphanages etc.)
ESL chat
Tourism, where to go, what to see, where to stay, where to eat, etc.
Traveling to Haiti
Baseball
How to stay safe...

Last edited:

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
We would like your opinion on this, and suggestions for non-controversial ;) themes and experts. The possibility also exists of inviting people who are not dr1 posters, and the themes do not have to be DR related, within reason.

Ideas welcome!

I think a little controversial chat is not really harmful. Debate and disagreement are healthy.

"what goes on it the chat... stays in the chat."
It's not like visitors to DR1 will read old chat logs. The moderators could control anyone who is crossing the lines and personally attacking someone. When there's a political discussion or some other type that's controversial, they could follow some guidelines for presenting their argument.

Last edited:

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
How about a "chat" this week

I was thinking on plant and animal life as there are a few great threads on here now that relate to this.

Anyone interested? ;)

J

John Evans

ah but im a trouble-maker lol...:devious:- my suggestion is - I like the idea of trying to type/chat in spanish but id have to adapt my keyboard and also learn some words that arent rude

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
How about we start with a newbie night? I'm in there right now trying to explain how to start a new thread.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
ah but im a trouble-maker lol...:devious:- my suggestion is - I like the idea of trying to type/chat in spanish but id have to adapt my keyboard and also learn some words that arent rude

Who said we'd be chatting in Spanish? We could (and I have), but majority of the time it's in English.

And I wouldn't worry about anybody being too rude or troublesome. There's always us official mods who have the power in the chatroom to kick people out if they get too out-of-hand. ;)

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
UH HUH Keith BUT........................

Who said we'd be chatting in Spanish? We could (and I have), but majority of the time it's in English.

And I wouldn't worry about anybody being too rude or troublesome. There's always us official mods who have the power in the chatroom to kick people out if they get too out-of-hand. ;)

You mod's are always out of hand !!! :cheeky: So who gets to kick you out :cheeky: lol Sorry my silly side is showing again.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
You mod's are always out of hand !!! :cheeky: So who gets to kick you out :cheeky: lol Sorry my silly side is showing again.

Robert. If someone thinks any of us mods have gotten out of hand in the chat room (or on the board itself, for that matter), petition Robert. If he thinks the complaint has merit, he can bar me or Anna or any other mod from the chatroom.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Keith always gets out of hand but I've yet to send in a complaint. :laugh:

Hey I wonder if we can kick each other out? Come in the chat room right now Keith and let me try

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Enough of the mods and booting etc, it's not needed in this thread, please stick to the topic at hand.

So when is the first chat and what is the theme?