Planning on starting a library at the Campo

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I am planning on starting a library in the campo, near San Jose delas Matas, province of SAntiago.

On my next trip to the DR in the summer I will be bringing some books to start, not many because of the weight restrictions.

There's a couple that stays in our house so we'll come up with a system as to keep the books in good condition and to have them returned.

The adults and children don't ever read much and I hope this idea gives them a door to very useful information.

I would love to organize "charlas" and seminars or any kind of informational get togethers for these people in the campo, I will only be there for two weeks but of course i keep in contact with community leaders, so if anyone can provide any useful information in reference to finding information or people who can donate time to give informative seminars or speeches please let me know.

What sorts of books do you suggest would be useful for our collection?

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Just a tip on books and weight restrictions.....and books are heavy, and can take up a lot of your weight allowance!
I carry as many books as I can carry, in my hand and if asked (which only happened once) say I am a speed reader LOL
Carry a plastic bag to hold the books you are carrying once you have gotten past customs and security.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
That's wonderful!

I am planning on starting a library in the campo, near San Jose delas Matas, province of SAntiago.

On my next trip to the DR in the summer I will be bringing some books to start, not many because of the weight restrictions.

There's a couple that stays in our house so we'll come up with a system as to keep the books in good condition and to have them returned.

The adults and children don't ever read much and I hope this idea gives them a door to very useful information.

I would love to organize "charlas" and seminars or any kind of informational get togethers for these people in the campo, I will only be there for two weeks but of course i keep in contact with community leaders, so if anyone can provide any useful information in reference to finding information or people who can donate time to give informative seminars or speeches please let me know.

What sorts of books do you suggest would be useful for our collection?

I was wondering about book mobiles, if they've ever tried them in the DR. I'd like to meet a teacher in Puerto Plata and direct my book donations to his/her classroom. I think it's great what you're planning to do.

Here's are some good links for looking into children's books and library projects:
Welcome to IBBY
BANCO DEL LIBRO
IFLA - The official website of the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions

The International Association of Library Associations received a million dollar grant from the Bill & Melissa Gates Foundation. It would be great if you could get some financial support for this M.A.R.

Best of luck!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
M.A.R.

I am willing to do any speeches and or seminars although I would prefer health related topics being a Nurse (my specialty is OB/GYN, I do Labor&Delivery here in the US). I will be there permanently (in Sajoma) in August so I will not be far from your campo (which is it?)

I was already thinking of starting some birth education classes or STD education classes or something like that. I was just waiting to get there and get settled to ask the women what topics they would like to discuss or learn about and to get to know the hospital and how it operates

I do believe though...for the sake of the natives...I should get my Spanish a little better;)

Dejame Saber!

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
A Suggestion and an offer

Angela: Why not a blue tankard filled with books? I will offer my office/store as a donation point for books into the blue tank. I'll buy the tank and we'll post notices around several nabes.
After a period of a month or so I'll ship to DR. Five weeks by boat. My contribution.

JOHN

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This is a wonderful idea, and will work best with the community's active input and participation.

Bring a selection of books: adults, children, fiction, non-fiction, practical, etc. and hold a meeting with a representative group of the people you're hoping to involve, and ask them for their ideas. This could also form a local management committee to run the library - assuming you're not going to be there to run it 100% of the time?

Combine this with talks as SKing suggests, and play activities for children.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
TO SKING!! they are not natives!! They are Dominicans, locals, serranos, but NOT 'natives', please...
The offer of courses is to be applauded. Ignorance is flourishing in the hills. One of the most astonishing things is SEX among the very young....11 and 12 year olds...

M.A.R.: I have a bunch of reference books, in Spanish, that I can contribute to your library.
The suggestion of a blue plastic tank filled with books is outstanding and took the words right off of my keyboard!!

HB

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
WOW THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gracias de todo corazon.

Johne that's a wonderful idea, I had thought about it too.
I'll start some kind of letter to communicate it, my brother has a sunday radio show where I can advertise it.

SKing that's exactly one of the "charlas" i would love to set up, and i'll be there in august its perfect, maybe for August 17th?

HB that's wonderful I can have someone pick those up or I can pick them up when I get there.

OH my i am soo excited, Thanks everyone for your ideas.

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
If anyone can let me know

I would love to contribute as I love this idea MAR. So if there is somewhere I may send books etc either pm me or post please. ;)

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Hey just a bump for those who haven't seen this, i hope to be setting a date to do the collection at a location to be annouced.

Thanks everyone again for your ideas.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Hello everyone I am again here to give you some more information.

Johne has allow me to have a few hours in his locale in Ridgewood, Queens, NY to collect books for our project.

the address is
589 Onderdonk St.
Ridgewood, NY 11385
hours 2pm to 5:30 on JUNE 1st, 2008, SUNDAY

Any books in Spanish will be greatly appreciated,
dictionaries,
children's books
adults fiction-nonfiction

You can buy the books or we'll take any used books you have.

I also contacted Caliope bookstore owner and he is willing to receive the donated books.

thanks everyone.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Correction

the correct address

589 Onderdonk Ave not street.
corner of Grove st.
Ridgewood, NY 11385

Also, johne can make arrangements with you if you contact him by email, he'll try to accomodate you.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Hey guys!!! just reminding everyone about out book collection, of books in SPANISH, this sunday June 1st!!!!

I want to thank everyone who has given ideas, books and other donations,

thanks very much!!!

gracias a todos!!!!!

BTW; I need to buy book cases for the books, in the DR, please help me with places and economical prices to buy one, in SAntiago area.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
When are you coming down here??? I cannot afford to go to Long Island,NY to carry books from the DR!!!
So, when you get to Santiago, let me know. I will start piling them up...

HB

lollipop

Mar 28, 2008
What part of SAJOMA are you going to be at?
My grandparents are from that area but we never go there anymore.
I'd love to donate some books, but like Hillbilly I live in DR already, so please once you're here let us know.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
I love it, MAR!

I will be doing some of the same in my campo. Are you going to allow people to check out books? If that's the case, you will need to develop a system to keep track of them. Since most Dominican kids do not have a single book at home, they would love to keep a book or two. (Can you blame them?)

The first thing I am planning to do is give them (the kids) a free book. (The younger ones love coloring books.)

Here are few subjects adult would benefit from:
Parenting, health, first aid, nutrition, ESL, gardening (vegetables, not flowers!)

Good luck in your righteous endeavor.
Norma

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
HB and lollipop i will be there in August and I will definitly come with a pick up truck to get those books, THANKS A MILLION GUYS.

Norma Yes I am planning on letting them check out books, God help me, I hope they come back to the library. lol

I will be having opening day on August 14th, i will be inviting the children and parents and will explain the system of a library, i am sure foreign to many. I will plead if i have to so that everyone follows the rules, which i am planning on printing on paper and inserting in every book. I am also buying ziploc bags to put the books in when they are checked out, so that they don't get wet and dirty.

I love the idea about giving out coloring books and crayons.

Norma and Jalencastro I will let you know how it all turns out so that you can start your own libraries.

Last edited:

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
M.A.R. we'll talk at the BBQ! love the idea! I actually thought about doing this in my wife's campo in San Cristobal too but I dont even know where to start to get lots of books in spanish.....best of luck in your project and if I can help in any way I shall!

eldorada

Mar 9, 2005
Great Idea, I trust that the books will be in Spanish? I have a few that I will donated, PM when you are ready.