Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Planning on starting a library at the Campo

I am planning on starting a library in the campo, near San Jose delas Matas, province of SAntiago.

On my next trip to the DR in the summer I will be bringing some books to start, not many because of the weight restrictions.

There's a couple that stays in our house so we'll come up with a system as to keep the books in good condition and to have them returned.

The adults and children don't ever read much and I hope this idea gives them a door to very useful information.

I would love to organize "charlas" and seminars or any kind of informational get togethers for these people in the campo, I will only be there for two weeks but of course i keep in contact with community leaders, so if anyone can provide any useful information in reference to finding information or people who can donate time to give informative seminars or speeches please let me know.

What sorts of books do you suggest would be useful for our collection?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a tip on books and weight restrictions.....and books are heavy, and can take up a lot of your weight allowance!
    I carry as many books as I can carry, in my hand and if asked (which only happened once) say I am a speed reader LOL
    Carry a plastic bag to hold the books you are carrying once you have gotten past customs and security.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default That's wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.R. View Post
    I am planning on starting a library in the campo, near San Jose delas Matas, province of SAntiago.

On my next trip to the DR in the summer I will be bringing some books to start, not many because of the weight restrictions.

There's a couple that stays in our house so we'll come up with a system as to keep the books in good condition and to have them returned.

The adults and children don't ever read much and I hope this idea gives them a door to very useful information.

I would love to organize "charlas" and seminars or any kind of informational get togethers for these people in the campo, I will only be there for two weeks but of course i keep in contact with community leaders, so if anyone can provide any useful information in reference to finding information or people who can donate time to give informative seminars or speeches please let me know.

What sorts of books do you suggest would be useful for our collection?
    I was wondering about book mobiles, if they've ever tried them in the DR. I'd like to meet a teacher in Puerto Plata and direct my book donations to his/her classroom. I think it's great what you're planning to do.

Here's are some good links for looking into children's books and library projects:
    Welcome to IBBY
    BANCO DEL LIBRO
    IFLA - The official website of the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions

The International Association of Library Associations received a million dollar grant from the Bill & Melissa Gates Foundation. It would be great if you could get some financial support for this M.A.R.

Best of luck!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

M.A.R.

I am willing to do any speeches and or seminars although I would prefer health related topics being a Nurse (my specialty is OB/GYN, I do Labor&Delivery here in the US). I will be there permanently (in Sajoma) in August so I will not be far from your campo (which is it?)

I was already thinking of starting some birth education classes or STD education classes or something like that. I was just waiting to get there and get settled to ask the women what topics they would like to discuss or learn about and to get to know the hospital and how it operates

I do believe though...for the sake of the natives...I should get my Spanish a little better

Dejame Saber!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Good work and good luck, to you all

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A Suggestion and an offer

Angela: Why not a blue tankard filled with books? I will offer my office/store as a donation point for books into the blue tank. I'll buy the tank and we'll post notices around several nabes.
    After a period of a month or so I'll ship to DR. Five weeks by boat. My contribution.

JOHN

Post Thanks / Like

This is a wonderful idea, and will work best with the community's active input and participation.

Bring a selection of books: adults, children, fiction, non-fiction, practical, etc. and hold a meeting with a representative group of the people you're hoping to involve, and ask them for their ideas. This could also form a local management committee to run the library - assuming you're not going to be there to run it 100% of the time?

Combine this with talks as SKing suggests, and play activities for children.

Post Thanks / Like

TO SKING!! they are not natives!! They are Dominicans, locals, serranos, but NOT 'natives', please...
    The offer of courses is to be applauded. Ignorance is flourishing in the hills. One of the most astonishing things is SEX among the very young....11 and 12 year olds...

M.A.R.: I have a bunch of reference books, in Spanish, that I can contribute to your library.
    The suggestion of a blue plastic tank filled with books is outstanding and took the words right off of my keyboard!!

HB

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gracias de todo corazon.

Johne that's a wonderful idea, I had thought about it too.
    I'll start some kind of letter to communicate it, my brother has a sunday radio show where I can advertise it.

SKing that's exactly one of the "charlas" i would love to set up, and i'll be there in august its perfect, maybe for August 17th?

HB that's wonderful I can have someone pick those up or I can pick them up when I get there.

OH my i am soo excited, Thanks everyone for your ideas.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default If anyone can let me know

I would love to contribute as I love this idea MAR. So if there is somewhere I may send books etc either pm me or post please.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast