DR to US & Canada almost free calls

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
Works for me - next to nothing fees, and if you have a decent connection can save quite a bit ove time.
magicjack.com

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
There has already been a thread on the MagicJack...
After reading the first thread I bought mine and it has been great!
Only problem was that they did not have NC phone numbers so I chose a Florida number and for the first week every time I called someone, the first thing they said was "What the hell are you doing in Florida?!?" (Caller ID) And then I had to explain the whole thing...

Other than that it has been wonderful...I am looking forward to using it when I move to DR (so are my friends...)

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Question:

Can you use magicjack with a cellphone or only a land line? Their ad seems to say land line?

And how much does the magic jack apparatus cost?

Thanks.

lili4ever

Jan 22, 2008
Walmart calling card

for $20 I get 227 minutes when I call my fianc? in Santo Domingo....on his orange cell phone

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I'm interested in calling the US and Canada from the DR (North Coast). From the US I use Tel3.com - a prepaid calling card for pennies a call.

I only have a cell phone and want to know if magic jack works off a cell?

Thanks.
Ro

Jan 9, 2004
You need...

Question:

Can you use magicjack with a cellphone or only a land line? Their ad seems to say land line?

And how much does the magic jack apparatus cost?

Thanks.

a land based telephone plus high speed internet, but not a landline itself. You cannot use a cell phone with the magicjack. Hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Check out Talkster.com

FREE for REAL calling - WORLDWIDE. Only catch is listening to a 10 second advertisement which will, as this product grows, be geared to you, the user.
Nio cards, no charges, and it works with cell phones, land lines. users dial in to a number that they save for next time and the calls are connected by Talkster.

This has been mentioned in O Magazine as well as on CNN and other media.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
a land based telephone plus high speed internet, but not a landline itself. You cannot use a cell phone with the magicjack. Hope this helps.

Is a land based telephone one that is in the DR, that has a local DR #? As compared to a landline? I have a cell phone with an 829 area code and local number, is that what you mean?

Thanks.

Ro

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I don't think that your landline based phone has to have a numbr or service. I disconnected my service here when I received the MagicJack.

What they mean by landline phone is a phone with the cord that you plug into the phone jack...but instead of plugging it into a phone jack you plug it into the MagicJack.

For example, my friend in DR has no phone service but internet service...I can take my laptop and we could plug a phone into the MagicJack and call for hours to the USA!

Jan 9, 2004
To further clarify...

Is a land based telephone one that is in the DR, that has a local DR #? As compared to a landline? I have a cell phone with an 829 area code and local number, is that what you mean?

Thanks.

Ro

any phone that plugs into a jack can be used (but not a cellphone). You do not need landline service to that phone, just a high speed internet connection (wired or wifi). You simply plug the magicjack into your computer, your computer into your high speed connection or access wifi....and you should be in business.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I have been using my Magic Jack for three weeks now and love it :)
I also picked a Florida area code so first thing people ask is, what are you doing in Florida?

Anyone who has a monthly North American call plan will be able to call me here in Puerto Plata Via my 305 Telephone # that is supplied with my prepaid two year service.

I use it to make unlimited calls from Puerto Plata to anywhere in North America, land line or cellular 24/7.

MagicJack.com

carolathompson

Oct 11, 2007
Talkster is not available worldwide as stated above. It is availbable in many countries but not worldwide and not in the Dominican Republic. Although it is adding many countries all the time

disciplemckie

Feb 16, 2004
www.dovemissions.com
Ok, I have read all of the posts and still can't figure this out. I have laptop internet service through Codetel (the highest speed). I have the Magic Jack with a regular phone and the service is great. I have called people and they have called me. My problem is my reception during the call. They hear me fine but the party I am calling sounds like they are stuttering. I tryed to return the phone but it works just fine on a land line. Any suggestions?

Jan 5, 2006
My problem is my reception during the call. They hear me fine but the party I am calling sounds like they are stuttering. Any suggestions?

The settings on the phone adapter (MagicJack) need to be adjusted to correct this issue. Contact the company and they can tell you how to do it using your computer, or they can replace the adapter.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Does the magicJack provide voicemail...for example, when someone calls your US number and you are not at your computer, can they leave you a message which you can see next time you are on the computer?

Beergirl

May 3, 2008
MagicJack is pretty good. My parent's bought one and bought one for me because they are cheap and didn't want to spend money calling here long distance all the time :). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if you call from one majicjack to another it is free, if you call from a majicjack to any other phone connection you get charged a minimal fee.