Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What are gas prices in DR?

What are the current Gas prices in DR?My friend is considering renting a car but not sure of gas prices thanks!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Premium
    RD$ 187.40 = USD$5.53

Regular
    RD$ 175.70 = USD$5.18

Diesel
    RD$ 156.10 = USD$4.60

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Could change in the blink of an eye....

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Options are for short trips: Motoconcho or caro publico
    Longer trips: Caribe Tours

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I've stopped driving in Santo Domingo during the day. My wallet cant take it. I used to spend most of my check on gasoline and considering the traffic jams in the city I was spending my money sitting in one place. Guaguas and public transportation suck but saving 5 and 6 thousand per month is worth it for me. I've become adept to the public transport system, though uncomfortable at times. What is fascinating here is that gasoline is US$5.553 and in a blink could be US$6 by next week (or longer) yet we still earn in pesos, meaning less than the average American. Yet Americans complain about gasoline at US$3.40 or whatever it is.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Mr Lu in your case will the metro make any difference and help out in lowering your expenses when it opens.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Hidalgo,

I have been apposed to the Metro from the beginning and will continue to be apposed to it. In my particular situation it doesn't solve anything. I live on the other side of the city and I'd need to take two buses to catch the Metro and then take the Metro, so where is the efficiency? I've always said that the money would have been better spent on revamping the public transport system. I am not alone in my feelings. Yes you need to make moves like these to progress, but I am not sure that in these tough times the Metro is the answer.

As per prices of gas I concerned as to what it will do to the economy. I mean I have money for a car, and money to pay the gas and etc so I am complaining to complain, to a degree. But what about those who have cars and must pay for their gasoline and don't make as much as I do, where gasoline is a larger percentage of their budget? Its going to hurt in the pockets. Summer will tough this year. Like I said, learn your bus routes and learn how to effectively take the bus to maximize your comfort. After riding the bus for so long I've learned a few tricks on how to make the guagua experience bearable, if possible.

One final thing I will say this, for as much as people think the Metro will be a big success, I hope it is, but I just don't for see it.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

In the UK it's just topped US$10 per gallon.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree that revamping the public transport system was the way to go, after all buses and taxis would serve all of the capital not just a small sector (if the metro system works at all). I feel for you folks, those gas prices are scary.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    In the UK it's just topped US$10 per gallon.
    That is expensive, but in general Europe has had higher prices for years and the big difference is that their public transport system is very developed. On top of that in general they do not drive gas guzzlers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast