Power Bills for Rental

paradisehunter1

Apr 15, 2008
I read somewhere on this site that you needed to be careful about seeing the old power bills when renting a place long-term in the Dominican. The reason being, that you might get stuck with old unpaid bills upon moving into your new place.

Does this really happen? I'm used to having utility accounts opened up in my name so that something like that doesn't happen. Or is it the case that utility accounts are based on the property and whoever is living in the place is responsible regardless of if the bill is theirs or not?

Thanks for your thoughts.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Doesn't matter what you're used to - that does not apply to the DR, in many cases.

Make sure the meter is zeroed out, and has no outstanding balance, and get a stamped statement to that effect, or you will pay if there IS a problem, and if you ever want power.

In general, (not just the power company) get a receipt for any money that ever changes hands, and never throw them away. Ever. Until you leave the country. Doesn't matter who is saying "don't worry, I'll bring it to you tomorrow. Just tell them fine, when you bring the receipt you can have the money. Get the receipt when the money changes hands. And if a company, make them stamp it with the company seal.

The electric companies are some of the worst. Have a problem, get in line. Some days you might get the 300th number given out that morning. Prevention is better than a cure for this type of problem.

good luck.

paradisehunter1

Apr 15, 2008
You said: "Make sure the meter is zeroed out, and has no outstanding balance, and get a stamped statement to that effect, or you will pay if there IS a problem, and if you ever want power. "

So, how does the billing work then? I assume you don't open an account personally, the account is based on the building? Or do you just go off of the meter, and if there's still a counter on it that means there's money owing for the apartment? Do you need to pay some kind of deposit to get the power turned on in the first place?

Sorry for all the questions but your thoughts are much appreciated.