It's Offical... Ikea Are Coming To The D.r

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico: Government officials say IKEA is opening its first Latin American store in the Dominican Republic next year.

A government news release says the discount furniture retailer will invest US$65 million (?42 million) in the outlet that is expected to open in early 2009.

Dominican President Leonel Fernandez said in a statement Tuesday that he began negotiations three years ago during a trip to Spain. The outlet will be built in the capital of Santo Domingo. Details about the size of the store were not available. A message left with IKEA officials was not immediately returned.

The Swedish-based retailer sells easy-assembly furniture and housewares.

J&T

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
This is great news. More jobs for the city and IKEA is relatively inexpensive so hopefully everyone benefits. It will be a bit of a trip to see an IKEA in the DR though ;)

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
im not an expert in DR employment but i have a couple of friends who work for IKEA here in canada and in the US. from what they've told me, they get great pay and really good benefits. hopefully that is somethng that is extended to the IKEA in the DR.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003

The Swedish-based retailer sells easy-assembly furniture and housewares.
?

This will be a clash of cultures, I kind of know... "easy-assembly", let us see, last time I was at the repair shop, I had to wait there quite a long time, and sat there with my beer watching the action. They assembled a toyota motor, not mine..., then I say them being confused when the motor was in place, there were still a lot of bolts and screws left... they just threw them away. Imagine what will happen now when IKEA is here. Be careful when you sit down on a chair, you never know. The one-piece-plastic-ones are easier to assemble.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Oh yes I forgot about the cookies and hotdogs and other yummy food they sell!
I wonder if it will be crowded with people, all the time, like every other Ikeas on the planet. lol
Hopefully they will sell some nice potted tropical plants.
Oh I am getting excited already!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm looking forward to watching some of my Dominican friends standing around waiting for something to happen to their furniture that had "Self Assembly" stamped on the box.

Hehehe, me make joke!

Have you ever tried to get out of an Ikea? They design them so you have to cover every square foot before you can escape :)

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
lol @ Robert

Ikea is a great one. They also have the best Swedish Meatballs;)

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
let me know when this store is OFFICIALLY open and i will check it out. i think they will be located in the capital on JFK and not sure what other cross street....

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
And I believe next door where there is a Ferreteria Amaericana warehouse, will be torn down or converted into the countries largest mall.

Biggest lasts a short while in the DR...
There's always somebody wanting to go even bigger to get the claim.
Caney isn't even finished yet and some bigger buildings are in the blueprints already...

IKEA will hit an underserved niche in the DR and yet will have to compete from scratch to fend off the copycats soon to follow.

Now, I'll visit for the hot dogs most likely!!!! Yummy!!!

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
I'm sorry, I have to ask. What's the deal with the Swedish meatballs? No ONE in Sweden will tell me because they don't know and to me they taste sort of like the ones my mom makes. I've asked people living outside of SE (non Swedes) and they can't explain it either.

Dominican born and raised but living in the land of IKEA, ABBA and meatballs.

My mom will go cuckoo once Ikea is open hehe.

Ikea is a great one. They also have the best Swedish Meatballs;)

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
lol mariel

I'm sorry, I have to ask. What's the deal with the Swedish meatballs? No ONE in Sweden will tell me because they don't know and to me they taste sort of like the ones my mom makes. I've asked people living outside of SE (non Swedes) and they can't explain it either.

Dominican born and raised but living in the land of IKEA, ABBA and meatballs.

My mom will go cuckoo once Ikea is open hehe.

I am not sure what you are asking in regards to the "deal" with the meatballs. :cheeky: I just know that every time I go to IKEA,( as well as most people I know), I have to have those meatballs.:classic: Sometimes I think IKEA puts something in them ,( sort of like "subliminal messaging" in commercials :cheeky:), to make me come back for them :devious: lol Hope that answered your question.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
I should have expressed myself better. I mean, what's the difference between Swedish meatballs and "regular" meatballs? Regular meaning the ones you eat at home/the city you live in.

I mean, to me all meatballs taste the same so I couldn't tell a Swedish meatball from a Dominican one hehe. OK, now I'm hungry.

I am not sure what you are asking in regards to the "deal" with the meatballs. :cheeky: I just know that every time I go to IKEA,( as well as most people I know), I have to have those meatballs.:classic: Sometimes I think IKEA puts something in them ,( sort of like "subliminal messaging" in commercials :cheeky:), to make me come back for them :devious: lol Hope that answered your question.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Swedish meatballs are all about the special cream (sourcream?) sauce...the meatballs themselves are basically the same as regular meatballs, except I think you add a little nutmeg and/or paprika to the meat...or maybe to the sauce.