bringing potential child to the U.S. ??

mmilone

Mar 25, 2003
A friend of mine, U.S. citizen, most likely fathered a child in the D.R. with his girlfriend. Put the paternity issue on the side for now. The child is very ill, and would have probably passed away had it not been for the large amount of money he has sent for the medical care (no insurance). This is unlikely, but my question is: does anyone know if the child could be brought to this country for medical care, which could probably save him? Would the father have to prove to the government that the child is his?

Thanks

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I am SURE this is a silly question mmilone but does your friend have independent verification that his (possible) son has been very sick? Does he KNOW what clinic the child went to, which doctor was consulted, what symptoms & medication was prescribed?

We regularly hear of 'Mothers' being very ill, 'Fathers' dying once or twice or even children of sisters of girlfriends being very sick & needing hospitalisation in the DR only to find that such a circumstance/illness never really existed. Get your friend to verify EVERYTHING as though he was an independent PI working for a client. Suspicious & aware of most of the scams that go on here ............ absolutely!!

If all stacks up it would be better for you (or your friend( to contact the Embassy direct to see what compassionate circumstances they allow children in to the USA. I suspect it will be a fairly long haul But I wish your friend very good luck. ~ Grahame.

mmilone

Mar 25, 2003
sick baby to U.S.?

Grahame, thanks for the quick response. Yes, we are aware of, and have the details of the child's medical history. He has basically been hospitalized since birth (4 months). His main problem is a heart condition, which causes difficulty in breathing, fever, etc. He has been to a childrens hospital in Santo DOmingo for extended periods on two occasions, and now he has been in a hospital in Santiago for 1 month. The hospital itself, not including intensive care, may be free, but the parents are responsible for all medications, and analysis, which are expensive. It may sound crazy, but the mother had to actually look for a blood donar, and pay him for his blood for the baby. On another occasion, she purchased blood from another location.
I've seen the baby. He is basically the same weight now as when he was born. I know about scams, but this is not the case right now. Thanks for the advice.

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
If the father's name is on the child's birth certificate it can be done quite fast ( enlist the help of your local representative, pay extra fee at the embasy for medical emergency )
Sorry about your friend's kid.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
The father needs to go to the US Consulate in Santo Domingo to apply for a Birth Certificate for US Citizen born Overseas. (at this moment, the baby is a dominican without a valid US travel visa) He will most likely have to run around getting documents for a day or two.

The father will need his birth certificate, passport, and whatever other documents are required (this information should be on the US State Department or the Santo Domingo Consulate websites). A Dominican birth certificate naming him as the father isn't sufficient evidence (too much previous visa fraud by many others).

Because they are not married, he and the baby will need to get a DNA test done by a lab which has been approved by the US Consulate, to prove the blood relationship and his fatherhood. Then he will need to present the test results and his identification papers back to the US Consulate. IF they approve, they will issue the US Birth Certificate.

If the mother does not have a US visa, then the father and she will then need to obtain permission to have his baby (with the new US Citizenship) accompany him to the US without the mother. This involves more running around getting documents and permissions stamped before he will be able to legally exit the DR with his minor child to go to the US for treatment (even on a medi-vac flight). The mother and father must appear in person to get these documents, or else have notarized documents if one is absent)

Finally, the last question - does daddy have medical insurance in the US for his sick child - if not, maybe the Shriners or another organization can help them.

Last edited:

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I know it is possible for a sick person to get a medical visa to the US. In December of 2006, I traveled to the US with a young woman who had had a large, badly treated hemangioma on her calf. She had been told that it was inoperable and she consequently lived in constant pain. She has since returned to the DR after having the surgery, grafting and plastic surgery to minimize the scarring. She is now in school, learning English and has worked with me on the dental clinic I organize in June each year.

The Consulate requires:
  1. a letter of invitation from the person with whom the child will be staying (should include a statement that the person will be responsible for ensuring that the child will return to the Dominican Republic after treatment)
  2. a letter guaranteeing the means of paying for the medical treatment (in the girl's case, that was letters from the vascular surgeon and the hospital promising free treatment)-said letter to include the statement that there will be no recourse to government aid
  3. that the person/child have a passport
  4. that the accompanying person also have a passport and apply for the visa if necessary (I am a US citizen so a visa was not necessary for me)
  5. proof of payment of the visa application fee
  6. a completed Form 156 for a B-2 visa
  7. 2 passport size photos
  8. travel itinerary if available

It is necessary to buy a pin number to call the Consulate for a visa appointment, but in the case of medical necessity, the wait is usually only days. I called on a Monday and the interview was on Wednesday of the same week. She had her passport, with the visa, on Thursday morning.

I would strongly suggest that, if the father goes this route, the person applying for the child also have notarized copies of the child's medical records.

If the father cannot afford to pay the costs of the medical care himself, then I would suggest that the child be evaluated by Dr. Lu?s Cuello at Corazones Unidos for the US Foundation Healing the Children. That foundation can also arrange for the necessary treatment.

Jeff

Aug 28, 2002
Medicaid Eligibility

If a US citizen by parent is involved, then forget the charity aspects for "aliens" and get the US Passport for the kid! No waiting for green cards....you have the go straight to US card....kind of a get out of jail card.

If the US citizen will get the birth registered at the US consulate or embassy, it is just a matter of getting to a hospital inside US territory with the child and his US Passport. If dad needs immediate or "emergency" health insurance for junior, then Medicaid will cover it. And if dad's finances are screwed up from DR hospital bills also don't forget the Children Health Insurance Program for their subsidized health insurance, too. US citizen children are protected and will be taken care of inside the USA. Bottomline, Medicaid will be a social safety net and personal bankruptcy protection is the worst that could ultimately happen to dear old dad. Stop fiddling around with DR hospitals and get the US paperwork filled out for US citizenship by parent (i.e. register foreign birth abroad). Good luck, kid!:bunny:

guandulera

Apr 22, 2008
gather inf. in the process

While trying to get the child in USA try to gather all paper work for medicaid if you don't have health insurance. The process for medicaid vary accourding to each State. Here is a web to find inf.Medicaid about the program however go to the DSS of your county to get more specific information..In some Counties you may have to go though the process of an aplication which would be call an inquiry.