ORANGE Cell Phone Problems

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Just have been experiencing some problems with my Orange cell phone service and wondering if others are experiencing the same.
People in Canada, USA, Africa have said they are frequently getting a message when they call even though I available.
Sometimes the phone display will say 'Emergency Calls Only", and I am unable to make outgoing calls.

If this is normal for Orange service maybe I should switch to a different company.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
a friend of mine is currently experiencing problems with her ORANGE phone, granted it is still under warranty, and was told they have to reformat the phone's operating system, whatever that means....told to pick up her phone tomorrow

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Well my phone was purchased in Canada from ROGERS (they are a pain too but that is another conversation for another day LOL).
The people @ the Orange Shop unlocked it for me.
I use phone cards and I am not on a plan.
It 'seemed' to be working fine for the first few weeks.
But a friend living in Puerta Plata said she tried to call me too and was unable to and some message came on.
Just missing some important phone calls from home a lot lately.

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
this happens a lot. i wasnt with orange when i was there a few months ago (i was with claro) but i had similar problems on a regular basis. i brought an unlocked phone from canada and hooked it up in SD and used phone cards. friends and family would call me all the time and get a message saying my phone was out of service or that they had called an invalid number but then a few days later it would be fine and then back to out of service again :( i never had problem dialing out though.

you can change service providers but i think the problems will occurr regardless of which network you're with unfortunately.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Yes was thinking that changing cell phone providers would be a waste of time.
But I have been told by some that Claro service is better than Orange...that is why it is more expensive.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I too have experienced that with an unlocked Rogers phone in Puerto Plata with the "Emergency Calls" only message appearing on the screen from time to time. I always just assumed it was signal-related, or lack thereof;). I can only imagine your frustration and concern at missing important calls from abroad or locally, and hope the problem isnt with the hardware.

Maybe it is worth trying to contact Rogers in case the problem is on their end if Orange can find no reason for this glitch?

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
But I have been told by some that Claro service is better than Orange...that is why it is more expensive.

hehehe. i was told the opposite when i was there and ready to throw my phone out the window! the other service provider is always better when yours isnt working the way you want it to :paranoid: again unfortunately, i think you'll come across the same problems with another network but drloca's suggestion seems worth looking into...

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Probably have to contact Rogers too. Arrggghhh. Not looking forward to doing that.
ROGERS Co. is the cell phone and cable providers 'sankies' of the world LOL.... IMO

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Probably have to contact Rogers too. Arrggghhh. Not looking forward to doing that.
ROGERS Co. is the cell phone and cable providers 'sankies' of the world LOL.... IMO

Good luck with that...they give the word "nightmare" new meaning!

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Nightmare is correct!

I have had to personally march down to the head office in downtown Toronto many times to resolve issues.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I sooo agree I've had my problems with them already and BELL they are all the same girl grrrrrrrr is right it took me a month to get internet at home with BELL......rogers we tried and that was ugly too. I think they both need more competition!!! I can only imagine in the DR yikes good luck

Feb 7, 2007
Emergency Calls only means you are on an un-allowed roaming network. Means your phone is only able to pick up Claro or Viva network. By law, all carriers must let emergency calls through, regardless of what network is the phone subscribed to or locked to. When you get ECO message, you are not on Orange network.

Claro has a little bit better coverage. As far as prices, they are ABOUT the same.

For prepaid customers, I suggest you might want to look into VIVA network (former Centennial RD) as they have GSM now too. They advertise 7 cents a second rate.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
My husband owns & uses an orange phone.
When I am in the DR, I use my orange phone.

We have the same problems...sometimes the calls come through & sometimes it is emergency calls only.

I have used my Rogers phone with a Orange SIM in the DR as well...I don't think its the hardware...I think its the network.

I work for Rogers & if you called here to ask for help with your phone they won't be able to help you unless you are using a Rogers SIM card in the phone.

If you are using an Orange SIM you would have to call Orange for technical assistance.

Hope that helps
Sangria

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Orange problems

Hi Thandie

I started a thread a few weeks back asking about Orange problems in the POP area. I am in the UK with an Orange phone + three friends in POP area with Orange phones = big problems with connection, getting cut off mid-call, me thinking their phone was ringing when it wasn't etc. etc.
It is slightly better now with the two that still have Orange phones, but on average I have to dial the number at least two times before their actual phone rings.
The third one, my best friend, managed to drop hers down the loo ( not sure if it was an accident or sabotage) and so I bought her a Claro phone - am touching wood now - we have not had any problems to date (three weeks, daily calls) and the signal and call clarity is MUCH stronger. Could be coincidence - but I dont think so.

:ermm:

Rio

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Thanks for the reply everyone.

I went to the Orange office in POP and explained the problem and after fiddling with my phone for a while she said it was fixed... and said the problem was because it was on AUTOMATIC? That didnt ring correct to me and explained that other people on the internet said they are having the same problem!
So she sent me to the other office around the corner.
There was a very nice and helpful lady who thankfully spoke English and she called customer service for me and translated for me. She also told me that a lot of people with the (829) area code have been complaining they are having problems. Customer service said they would check my line within 72 hour and call me back. And at 8am today I recieved a call and asked if I could possibly speak to someone who speaks English so I could explain the problem in detail.
The gentleman I spoke to said that because the 829 area code is new, only 2 years old (ok 2 years old is considered new?) that some international companies have not added it to their system.
I told him that my friend who lives a 5 minute walk from me in POP was trying to call me on Saturday but couldnt get through? He said the system could have been congested.
So I said, basically the REAL problem is.... 'life in the Caribbean'? He laughed and said yes thats about correct.

All in all my experience with everyone who works with Orange was professional, pleasant, prompt and they were very helpful and patient!
So I will probably stick to Orange.
They could give a 'good customer service training class' lol.
Even though they did not make any promises and guarantees that my service would be ok from here on end... at least my blood pressure didnt rise like it usually does after talking with most Rogers reps. lol

I also got a call today from my bank back in Canada and the rep. said she could not get through when she called directly...but when she called through a Bell Canada operator it worked?

A game of hit and miss I guess! lol

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
I absolutely agree with Rio and others...Orange has been awful and it has days when it is worse than normal (Sundays and Mondays seem to be the worst on the S side of the island.) We keep Claro and Orange phones and there are times when neither works. Normally I can work around this but last week we had a very serious emergency at the clinic and COULD NOT get a single carrier to work. Our land line had no credit on it (don't laugh) and none of the cells were able to get through to our emergency dentists (we had signals but Orange no puede... came for Claro and Centennial). I had a kid with an adult tooth dangling and massive hemorrhaging (which I controlled but WANTED a dental consult). Eventually (after a half an hour of dialing multiple phones at the same time) I connected with someone's landline...and arranged an emergency consult. BTW, try not to have emergent dental issues during siesta time--it's not easy to find a dentist or their reception people IN.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
This past weekend Orange was down for 2 full days. Nothing got thru. I am on Codetel and we were down several hours on Saturday night and then on Sunday I was down from 7:30 pm until monday morning at 7:20 am.

Sometimes when the system goes down - I really do not understand why or how - when it comes back up you need to turn your phone off and then back on again. I was having all kinds of issues with my phone. Once someone told me this secret I have far fewer issues. So every couple days I make a point of turning it off and back on.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Thanks for the tip. I will try that next time.
I have a Dominican friend who has 2 cell phones with 2 different
cell phone providers. I thought it was silly to have 2 cell phones and now I know why and will be getting a second phone myself, since I have no land line.