Marriages in the Dominican Republic

parryd05

May 1, 2008
Hopefully this is the right section to post this in.

I was married in the Dominican Republic on 9th May 2002, at what was the LTI Sol de Plata (Puerto Plata). I had all of the correct documentation prior to the marriage, and then once it was over was issued with 2 copies of my marriage certificate in Spanish. To my knowledge they were never taken to the UK Embassy in the DR, for translation and legalization.
I therefore have two questions.

1 - Is the marriage process complete and is it a legal marriage, or am I still a single man.

2 - If it was a legal marriage, how can I get hold of a copy of my marriage certificate, as my wife has run off with another man, and both copies of the marriage certificates.

I suppose thats actually 3 questions really! lol

Your help at this traumatic time would be gratefully appreciated.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
2 - If it was a legal marriage, how can I get hold of a copy of my marriage certificate, as my wife has run off with another man, and both copies of the marriage certificates.

You can get another original/copy at the ofiscalia civil (civil office) where your marriage was registered.

It is about 200 pesos I believe.

parryd05

May 1, 2008
Thank you for the information. Is this something that I can send off for from the UK? Or do I need to attend in person?
Is there an address for the ofiscalia civil (civil office), in the Puerto Plata / Sosua region?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can hire a person to get you the copy. You need the names of the parties and the day and date.
It should not cost a great deal...

You are talking about the Oficial?a Civil.

It should not be hard to find.

HB