can anyone identify this plant?

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
This plant is growing on our stable road and before I get rid of it I was wondering what it is. I would think this thorny little plant should have somekind of medicinal value. There are three of them growing near each other. Anybody recognize it? Thanks.

SANY0367.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
This plant is growing on our stable road and before I get rid of it I was wondering what it is. I would think this thorny little plant should have somekind of medicinal value. There are three of them growing near each other. Anybody recognize it? Thanks.

SANY0367.jpg

I think it is cardo santo.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
I am looking in wikipedia, but there are many many types. It appears to be indeed a thistle, thanks Norma Rosa.
I mentioned this is on the road to our stable...we have horses here and some thistles are toxic to horses. Now I'm even more curious.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Sounds like folks think that once we're finished ID'ing this particular plant for Reese, we should post others. Good!

Keith R, digging up his collection of DR photos LOL

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Which thistle grown in the DR good for human consumption, i would love to find out. Milk thistle is the best for liver diseases, is this plant that kind?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It is a cardo Santo...usually appears in February or March in this area...it is supposed to have medicinal uses...

HB

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Also called cardo mariano. My sister is drinking milk thistle in capsules for her fatty liver.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Plant summary

Thanks again Norma Rosa!
I have found this plant to be a "mexican pricklypoppy" (Argemone Mexicana L.)
Medicinal use: sedative

Disclosure :) This species is considered a noxious weed in the U.S. a catagory 5.

The Noxious Weeds Act of 1993 declares and classifies plants which are a danger to human health, serious economic pests, and invaders of natural systems.

I love the DR!!

J

John Evans

I think it might be a mexican prickly poppy (argemone mexicana)- look it up on google search images to see if its the same - oh bugger too late to be clever

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
New plant to identify

Ok folks, since there was much help in determining what the last plant was, I have another one that needs identifying. For some of you that have been in this country for a while you should know what it is......

SANY0367.jpg

Rumor has it, that this was banned years ago.

SANY0378.jpg

J

John Evans

errrrrrrrrrrrrr im not very good on plants yet- has anyone seen a good book anywhere

J

John Evans

I know it as angels trumpets- and there was thread on here that said it was illegal to grow it - although my next door neighbour has one- if you fall asleep under one you may start to halucinate