Neighborhoods

nikkip

Apr 25, 2008
Does anyone know about this neighborhood?
Alma Rosa II, near El Italia
I may be getting an apartment there but I'm not in the DR to get a sense of the neighborhood

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Alma Rosa II is an OK neighborhood, but one thing you should not do is to rent an apartment sight unseen. Wait until you actually go to the area, come back at night, and come back again on a Saturday night to see if you REALLY want to live anywhere. It might look OK the first time you see it, but coming back in the night, or on a weekend will reveal more about the neighborhood to you. Things like a colmado with blaring speakers close enough to your bedrooms that will keep you from sleeping, bad neighbors, lots of night traffic like guaguas or taxis taking shortcuts down your street, bad garbage collection i.e pickup only every 10 days, etc.

Also, if you are planning to work, will your job be on the west side of the river? If so, you will be facing a traffic jam every morning to get over the bridge if you leave much after 7 am every day, until normally 9 am or so. Same in the evenings returning.

Also, go visit a few potential neighbors, and ask them how the electricity is, the water, etc. That might reveal problems you do not want to live with on a daily basis.

nikkip

Apr 25, 2008
thanks gringo Carlos! I'll be going to school in the Zona Colonial so I'm sure there will be traffic. Renting it sight unseen seems like my only option b/c when i get there(June) i will already be in need of a place to stay. I'm A student in the US so multiple trips would be expensive. Should i get a hotel first?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Why not check out places in Zona Colonial, at least in the beginning? You won't be spending money on transport, as you can walk to school. Walking around ZC might lead to something nice too, for the same or less money, and a big savings in transport.

There is lots of info here on cheaper places to stay in the colonial zone using "search".