Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ant Problem

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ant Problem

I have bit of an ant problem (the tiny ants) in my apartment and wanted to know if anyone had any tips (preferably without using a lot of chemicals) on how to get rid of the majority of them.
    I use the spray when I see a lot of them, but more the next day, have those little ant houses around the house, and my place is spotless.
    Nothing is really working.

Thanks

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Ground cinnamon ! Sprinkle it around the window sills and doors. Grounded chalk or peppermint oil works too.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

can you find out where they are going?
    I am assuming they are not fire ants....try to locate there 'nest' and spray the larvae (inside nest) if you can.
    Ants do not like cucumber peels at all. They will feed on almost anything. Find out what there attracted to and remove it.
    Your place may be spotless Thandie, but what is next door or 2 doors down?
    Ants can travel pretty good distances.
    We use "shakti 25 ec" when ants get out of control, this whipes them out, but there cousins and family keep coming to there funerals. Good luck.
    "Shakti" is available at NB or other vet shops.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no neighbours...it is a solo apartment on my landlords property.
    Alot of trees around and my apartment is elevated at least 100 feet off the ground. cant see a nest?
    I see them marching in my kitchen and bedroom window.

Will try all the natural recommendations.

Yes cousins and family I think come to attend the funerals lol

Retired Ussername
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ant and Cockroach bait

Originally posted by Texas Bill:

#12 04-08-2008, 05:53 PM
    Texas Bill
    Gold Join Date: Feb 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boric Acid issafe to use if used properly.
    Mix 3 tbs with 1 tbs flour and 1/2 tbs of sugar. add enough water or milk tomake a paste. Roll this out between two sheets of wax paper andallow tobecome dry andflexible. spread a very small quantity of it, about the size of a dime, around inside your cabinets and under the sink. the roaches, ants, and other insects will eate it anddie. The ants take it back to their nest and feed it to the queen and she dies obliterating the colony Bear in mind that there are TWO types of ants, Sugar ants and protein ants. This mixture takes care of both the pesky, stinging varments. I have used this mixture for over 60 years with great success. Got the formula from my Grandmother andshe never had either ants or roaches in her house.

Texas Bill

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

A few drops of trementina (the stuff used to fill your hurricane lamp) put in the water used to wash floors, surfaces etc is also quite effective. And the 'everything for 10 pesos' store on 12 de Julio has Chinese chalk, but wash your hands after using because it has a strong insecticidal.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default some good controls

Add borax to sugar. The oft quoted concentration is 50:50 but if you start with that, the ants will not likely be too fond of it. Start with a much lower concentration of borax – maybe 10% and very gradually increase it to 30-40%. The objective is to have the ants take as much borax as possible into the nest and they’ll take it if it is sweet. Put it where you see the ants or on the ant trails.

How about red chili pepper paste or hot curry paste? Spray it or mix it into a paste and put it on their trails. Tough on your cat or dog though.

Peppermint sprayed around the edges of your house and ant entry points will deter ants as will growing peppermint and other mints in your foundation planting. I caution you against this as you’ll quickly be over-run with mint instead of ants. But spraying a mint extract or heavy mint tea might help; as long as it leaves a minty smell behind it is strong enough

John Evans

I bought the chalk as suggested by mrs lambada - it worked without even using it - i keep the packet near to any outbreaks and they just seem to bugger off

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chinese chalk to combat ants

What exactly is Chinese Chalk?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

peppermint sounds like a good remedy, but where can one find the plants? I would be interested to buy some.
    I have used Chinese chalk, worked good for a day or two then the ants found another way to blaze a trail.
    Since we are in the campo ants are a problem 24/7. I use the Shakti sparingly, diluted with 3 times the water instructed/ recommended and attack the fire ant mounds outside, digging them up with a shovel and spraying the larvae and winged ants primarily.
    I think what Thandie has is the other kind of ant. These, in my experience, don't bite-sting. they are a bit smaller than the regular African fire ant.
    Another remedy is sprinkling talcum powder (talco) on the nest if you can find it.
    BTW-Thandie...
    my apartment is elevated at least 100 feet off the ground
    I can't help myself these must be flying ants you have

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast