Newbie - Dumb Questions!

Beergirl

May 3, 2008
Okay, so I have been searching around here for awhile,but I haven't found a satisfactory answer to dumb question number one nor have I seen anything related to not-so-dumb question numbers 2...

Question 1: How safe is it to walk around the "good" neighborhoods (i.e., Piantini, Naco, Seralles, Evaristo Morales) after dark? The reason I ask is that I have a very hyper dog who needs a good walk every day and I will likely get back from work at or after dusk... I know it's probably not safe, but I have to ask since I have had many varied answers to that question from locals!

Question 2: Does anyone know of a pet-sitter or a place that I can leave my dog when I go on vacation that won't cage her? (See the hyper part about question number 1). I seriously can't leave her in a cage for 2 weeks... she would literally go crazy!

Beergirl

May 3, 2008
Newbie - Dumb Questions - Part 2

How rude... didn't even introduce myself:

New to DR... actually, I don't actually live here yet. Just accepted a job (semi-expat) here. Speak fluent "Puerto Rican" Spanish and a little apprehensive about the move!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If you walk with the dog, would think these neighborhoods are very safe. I live in Julieta. This used to be a very safe neighborhood, but of late there have been many attempt at bag snatching. But no one will come near you if you have the dog. There are many easier targets.

Servican has a "finca" location that serves as a long stay hotel. I leave my boxers there when I go away. The cages are very big. And you could also pay for a "training course" instead of hotel fee to insure that the dog gets taken out of the cage.

First time I left my boxer alone there, he came back very depressed. He stayed for about 10 days. But the second time I talked to the vet's daughter, Carla Nova and explained that my dog was a spoiled pet and needed people. So the second time she took him out personally and played with him. He came back happy.

Now that I have two dogs (father and son), they don't get depressed. But I make the point so that you either pay for training or insist that they take the dogs out. She lives at the farm, so she can make sure this happens. Of course your dog would have to be a friendly dog.

Note these facilities are on the outskirts of Santo Domingo, would say about 1/2 hour out of the city.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Why not give the neighbor's maid an opportunity for a "second job" and pay her to take your dog for a walk every day? She would probably be glad to get out of the house for a bit too, and to pick up a bit of extra money for the lottery. Just clear it with your neighbor, so that the neighbor knows what's going on, and for a "second pair of eyes" watching the maid's actions.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Okay, so I have been searching around here for awhile,but I haven't found a satisfactory answer to dumb question number one nor have I seen anything related to not-so-dumb question numbers 2...

Question 1: How safe is it to walk around the "good" neighborhoods (i.e., Piantini, Naco, Seralles, Evaristo Morales) after dark? The reason I ask is that I have a very hyper dog who needs a good walk every day and I will likely get back from work at or after dusk... I know it's probably not safe, but I have to ask since I have had many varied answers to that question from locals!

Question 2: Does anyone know of a pet-sitter or a place that I can leave my dog when I go on vacation that won't cage her? (See the hyper part about question number 1). I seriously can't leave her in a cage for 2 weeks... she would literally go crazy!

Questions about your safety are never dumb-actually very smart, I suggest you get to know your neighbors, so they can watch over your home as well while away...Good luck, sorry i couldnt have been more help!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
neighborhood safety

From what I seem to hear and observe, and it's actually also logical, upper scale neighborhoods are not always as save as they may seem, appear or the class of homes an people living there would suggest.
Lately some of these neighborhoods have struggled with nightly street muggings where 24hrs on-site patrolling safety services are not present.
The rationale being that the assailants seem to assume that people living in those neighborhoods do carry money and valuables as well as their employees entering and leaving at after daylight times can at times not only carry keys but money too.
Be also weary of neighborhoods which seem exceptionally quite... because the homes belong to people abroad and are the occupancy is low.
In my opinion it can at times be better to have some life on the street and even some good ol' Dominican bulla and ocasional bonches but to know that you DO have steady neighbors which, once you will have befriended them WILL denounce any suspicious movement around the hood.

... J-D.

Beergirl

May 3, 2008
Found one!!!!

For those who made some suggestions about where to board my dog, thank you very much! After a month or so of searching, I have finally found a place that boards without cages and they also have a daycare! The prices range by size of the dog; I have a Westie and it costs RD$200 for daycare and RD$350/day for longer term boarding. It's a steal considering I currently pay
$20/day in Puerto Rico. Here's the info in case anyone is interested:

Happy Tail Pet Salon & Boutique
Calle Aristedes Garcia Mella No. 14
Mirador Sur, Santo Domingo

(809) 518-0705