From Pedro Santana to Restauration

Borec

Dec 20, 2005
I was wondering if somebody did this trip in a car. It seems that there is a stretch of a road that leads through Haiti. Can you use this road without doing immigration show, or you need to go through some immigration procedures?

Thanks

David

Borec

Dec 20, 2005
I have found a really good post, called carretera international, but it is 6 years old, so if there is anybody who did it lately, i would love the comments.

Feb 7, 2007
I went to Pedro Santana with a friend who has a family there. This was about 2 months ago. I was told the following:

The road from PS to Restauracion is a bad shape gravel road. Best advised to use 4x4 "high" vehicle. Also heavy trucks travel the way. The stretch is quite narrow (one lane) and is about 50 kms long.

After you pass the river at PS you will be on Carretera Internacional which has Haiti to its left and DR to its right. You actually have to have passport or cedula, and you have to register at Ejercito Nacional Cuartel in PS. They will give you special permit which you will have to show at checkpoints and surrender after you get to Restauracion. There are about 5-6 checkpoints along the way. The permit has the driver's details and car details. That is for your protection in case you get robbed or your vehicle gets stolen.

Borec

Dec 20, 2005
That is for your protection in case you get robbed or your vehicle gets stolen.

Thanks, do you know if that happens often? And do you know where do you have to get the permit if you travel the other way around, I suppose in Restorauration.