hotels in consuelo????

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am almost 100% sure that no one on this site has ever been to Consuelo...It is a sugar mill plus the surrounding village. If they have been there is was as a missionary or some other charity thing.
Unless you know someone there, I would not suggest that you waltz over there and say : "Here I am!"
Many years ago it was a prosperous village, but over the past decade and a half it has declined into a sort of despondent lethargy of poverty, ignorance, and decay.
There is a dire lack of basic services and there are NO hotels in the area. There might be a pension where visiting salesmen stop for a night but before you ask me for their web sites, let me say "You gotta be kidding!!"

Get to someplace near San Pedro de Macoris, hire a vehicle to take you to Consuelo in the morning and see for yourself..

HB

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I go to Consuelo as my stepson is in baseball school there but it is as Hillbilly says. There are a few hotels in San Pedro de Macoris which is a 15 minute ride away by bus or taxi. The biggest is the Howard Johnson and there are a couple of smaller ones. By the way I have already answered this for you on another thread!

Matilda

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I would amend the above to say that as a town of some 30000 people there has to be a few who have risen above. Certainly some are in the USA and sending money back and others have prospered in other parts of the DR and sent or spent money there.
This is a very Dominican town, closely associated with agriculture, mostly sugar and cattle. I have to remember Consuelo as having one of the very best baseball teams in the nations for years on end...I remember one young man that graduated from our university with a degree in EME, and played for the university during its hayday..

HB

( I did , too, Matilda, but she won;t listen..)

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
"I am almost 100% sure that noone on this site has ever been to Consuelo"

Good thing you didn't bet on that HB, cause you would have lost. ;) I actually have spent 2 days in Consuelo, and stayed in a flea-bag pension/love hotel there. As you might expect, there was a woman involved. :D I might be able to find it again but I don't remember the name, and I won't even try giving directions because I really don't think it's a good idea to stay there (which is why I didn't mention it in my response in the other thread). I would not describe it as clean or safe (for a female especially), but then again it is neither the dirtiest or the most dangerous place I have stayed in the DR. No hot water and no Planta. I had to run down the manager to get toilet paper. The second day I looked into getting an overnight rate at the cabanas up the highway toward SFM, but the price they gave me was outrageous, so we went back. If none of that bothers you krissy, and you want to PM me and convince me it is important for you to have a place to stay right in Consuelo, I could give you directions that would put you close enough to probably get local help from there.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Like I said " ...doing charitywork...." HEHE...Well I figured someone might have been there...
If I was involved in baseball, I would go there a lot...they seem to breed ball players there..
But, it's just a wide spot....in a road to almost no place.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can see the town yourself. Go to Google Earth, type in
18* 33' 13.42" N
69* 18' 08.16 W

Click on the blue dots for pictures of the town....

HB