moving to DR from BC

theskinners

May 5, 2008
Hello to all who read. We are a family of four hoping to move to DR by Aug, we are coming from Canada. We have permanent income both of us so we are not looking to work there as well are investing in a home. We have tons of questions and no one to answer them.
Whats the first thing we do? Where do we get residency papers to fill out?
Health care? Do we purchase out of country health care?
International schooling? Where, which place is best,
Sosua or Caberete which and where are the better places to purchase.
Where do we find a web site to long term rent so we have time to look for our house to purchase.
Can we bring dogs over? Basically we would like to hear from someone who has gone through this experience so we can make a list and start getting things done now before Aug comes.
Thanks to all...cheers The Skinners

Grandma Jen

Jan 16, 2008
Been here 8 weeks so not much help to you but there are some great plots in Lomas Mironas for sale - keep in contact

Jeanette

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
The Skinners, Hi. Welcome to the forum.
There is a wealth of knowledge in these threads. Have you used the search feature to answer some of your questions from previous posters with the same inquiries?
You sure do have a lot of questions, good questions indeed, but why wait until 3 months before you make this major move to ask or find this pertinent information out?
My suggestion? First thing you do is get here, plenty of places for rent. Then these questions can be answered and put into action. You can bring a pet, but I am not positive what the ins and outs are for legalities.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hello to all who read. We are a family of four hoping to move to DR by Aug, we are coming from Canada. We have permanent income both of us so we are not looking to work there as well are investing in a home. We have tons of questions and no one to answer them.
Whats the first thing we do? Where do we get residency papers to fill out?
Health care? Do we purchase out of country health care?
International schooling? Where, which place is best,
Sosua or Caberete which and where are the better places to purchase.
Where do we find a web site to long term rent so we have time to look for our house to purchase.
Can we bring dogs over? Basically we would like to hear from someone who has gone through this experience so we can make a list and start getting things done now before Aug comes.
Thanks to all...cheers The Skinners

The best part of your move to the DR is that you have a permantent income to help you pay your way...

#1 You must contact the Dominican consulate in CAN to address recent changes in what can you import to the DR under "special" conditions and what not. There they'll offer you with concrete and up to date info.

#2 Don't buy! Rent! Rent! Rent! This is a major rule to moving to the DR...
You don't want to be stuck for a long while in a community that could just as easy turn out to be the "Elm street" of horrors.
Rent in a place close or in the perimeter of where you'll eventually buy or construct form scratch (The best option).

#3 There's more to the DR other than living so close to the beaches. They're all very nice but once a major storm makes the way around things deteriorate quickly for those communities. Sometimes living more into the country than the coastal area makes more sense. You can hit any beach from most major cities in the DR quite fast and with very good roads.

#4 You can file for residency in the DR once you start to make you move via the DR's consulate rules for your country of origin. The best way is to hire a lawyer (costlier but effortless in the long run) and let him handle all the steps.

#5 You can purchase health care in the DR to cover your medical expenses but you'll be better served by traveling form time to time to your home country for check ups and medical attention rather than use the expensive DR?s services. Some private medical providers are equal to foreign medical care providers, but the fees are highway robbery.

#6 Regarding schooling for you children, there are several to pick from; again, it all depends on where you'll end up locating yourself.

#7 Yes, you can bring your dog(s) over and anything that's allowed to be had in the DR. Just know that this step is best done using the best services provider where you can check the services they provide to pets. There will be a quarantine for the pets before they're release from customs.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
there is no quarantine for pets here just a small fee. but you will need international papers for the pet before you leave canada and it will need to have its rabies shots more than 30 days prior to departure.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I want to applaud PICHARDO's answers. Well, I do because I agree with him!!

I want to emphasize this one especially:

#3 There's more to the DR other than living so close to the beaches. They're all very nice but once a major storm makes the way around things deteriorate quickly for those communities. Sometimes living more into the country than the coastal area makes more sense. You can hit any beach from most major cities in the DR quite fast and with very good roads.

Living along the beach is swell....but that is all it is...
there are no good schools up there. There is not a whole lot to do. There are no country clubs to join (except Playa Dorada Golf Club, but that is tricky), there are no movie theaters to speak of, no real good shopping, etc, etc.

And I love the beach....

Think "close to the beach, but not ON the beach"

Where? you ask? Okay: San Francisco de Macoris, Moca, La Vega, and my dear Santiago...Santiago best of all... You are an hour and a quarter from most nice beaches, 3 hours from Samana, 2 to Monticriste, 1 1/2 to Santo Domingo, 4 1/2-5 to Punta Cana....
Good schools, churches, shopping, things to do....do you play bridge???

Oh yes, nice people...normal people...

HB

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
All of the above are very good answers. My question, have you looked at the south of the country such as Juan Dolio. Here you have the beaches and are close to STD and all the comforts one seeks.

Frank you speak excellent English but be careful using STD as in English it stands for Sexually Transmitted Diseases!!!!

Matilda ;)

cabaretesunshine

Apr 3, 2008
Hi Skinner Family!

You hadn't mentioned what areas you are familiar with here. I know you HAD TO feel that certain areas could be 'home' or you would not be taking all these measures to pull up stakes and move here. RENT in the area(s) you liked. Absolutely!
Weekly rates drop if you guarantee the rental manager a month's stay. There are nice sized apartments here - fully stocked with pots & pans and linens. You can rent a 2bedroom/2 bath for as little as $700 a month in Cabarete up to $1200 a month.... depend on whether you want "The Brand Name" place or something just as nice, just not on the beach. I could give you a few names of reliable HONEST people who will help you find a good rental to please your entire family.
Beware not to ship things in their original boxes or you will get "rated" by Customs on new items and if you are shipping electronics, pack the remote control devices or a printer in another box. Microwave ovens that normally sell for $79.00US in North America cost nearly the equivalent of $150.00US here. However, if your shipping company is basing your cost to ship on the cubic feet space used, you may just want to forego the microwave and pack a computer in its place, opting to buy the microwave here because it's much cheaper than buying a computer!
Email me direct if you like at cabaretesunshine@hotmail.com . I'll answer anything else I can.

sunnymermaid

Jul 6, 2008
you will need a Domincan national to sign a letter before you are able to obtain residency. we just went through this and fortunatley a woman from my husband's workplace signed for him. you also need 2 letters from your bankers in CAN to open an account here AND a personal letter of reference from someone here as well.this is to DEPOSIT your money into their bank! my husband is Canadian (I am from USA) so we went w/scotia bank in Punta Cana area and it is not at all like the one in the north!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
you will need a Domincan national to sign a letter before you are able to obtain residency. we just went through this and fortunatley a woman from my husband's workplace signed for him. you also need 2 letters from your bankers in CAN to open an account here AND a personal letter of reference from someone here as well.this is to DEPOSIT your money into their bank! my husband is Canadian (I am from USA) so we went w/scotia bank in Punta Cana area and it is not at all like the one in the north!

You say two letters - two different letters? please expand, thank you.