Teleferico, POP, directions please?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I am sure someone posted directions recently to the starting point of the Teleferico coming from the Sosua direction but, I have done a search and found nothing. Could someone help out with directions please or give me the link to the previous relevant post? Thanks.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I am sure someone posted directions recently to the starting point of the Teleferico coming from the Sosua direction but, I have done a search and found nothing. Could someone help out with directions please or give me the link to the previous relevant post? Thanks.

Going from Sosua... U pass Burger King in Pop... turn left in the roundabout (not 360 degrees but left....) Go straight straight straight (appr. 5-10 minutes)... throw some traffic lights up and down under a bridge. U then finally come to a new small roundabout.. straight again towards Navarrete... u soon see the UTESA (University) to the left then just after that to the left u should see a sign "Teleferico". A road going uphill...

Good luck...

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
At the big PP roundabout, instead of taking the lower road (Luis Ginebra) to come to our place, take the higher road (Av. Manolo Tavarez Justo) & head towards Costambar direction. Down hill after Ricardo Limardo Hospital, keep going straight on. You'll see University (UTESA) & old folks home (Hogar des Ancianos) on your left, then you'll see Teleferico signposted - it's a left turn off the main road.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Taking the highway through POP towards Santiago, you will come to the hilltop traffic light, near the meain hospital.
From there, you will cross 3 more trafic lights, then you will start glancing to the left for left hand turns (the highway has an island and there are few openings to turn) until you see the Teleferico sign.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
We went a few months ago. The cost was 200 peso's each. Guides offer their services before the ride but we declined. A guide is not really needed. Enjoy

sybillecutey

May 16, 2007
I've always wanted to go to the teleferico. Since I don't have a car, how much u think they'll charge me for the taxi from the Caribe tours bus station (or metro tours in puerto plata ?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Caribe is a lot closer to the Teleferico than Metro. I'd be guessing (I drive so don't get taxis in PP) but not more than 100 pesos from Caribe, maybe 180 from Metro.

sybillecutey

May 16, 2007
Caribe is a lot closer to the Teleferico than Metro. I'd be guessing (I drive so don't get taxis in PP) but not more than 100 pesos from Caribe, maybe 180 from Metro.

Cool !!!! it's cheaper than I thought ! I'm sooo there ! thanks !!!

sybillecutey

May 16, 2007
One question, they have a specific time when they're opened ? like, is it okay to go on a saturday morning ?

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Just keep in mind that unless recently changed, the teleferico sign actually faces slightly in the wrong direction meaning if you are coming from the west, it is pointing a little more your direction. Coming from the East, (Sosua) you need to look back just a bit to see it. I know this because we missed it the very first time because of this.

Good luck. It is WELL worth the trip to see POP from the mountain.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
You need to go when it's clear, and the mist can descend very quickly. It could be clear when you are buying your tickets at the bottom and misty by the time you reach the top. Improve your chances by going early in the morning. If it is clear then it is more likely to remain clear for the duration of your visit. Anyone know at what time it opens? I think it is 10.00am but I am not sure.

If you are with Dominicans let them buy the tickets as gringo prices can apply.

Avoid the souvenir shops at the top. You can get the same stuff in the town much cheaper.

If you are travelling from some way away to visit the Teleferico, first check that is running that day. Out of four times I have tried it has been closed twice for no very obvious reason. Can anyone supply a telephone number for this purpose?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
One question, they have a specific time when they're opened ? like, is it okay to go on a saturday morning ?

Another good reason to go early in the morning is to avoid the busloads of tourists all arriving at the same time & thus meaning long lines. Not sure what time the tour busses turn up now, it used to be around 10 am so I used to advise getting there 9.30 am. Someone who has been recently can advise you.

And sorry, I don't have a phone number. I just look out my study window & if the trees have been cut opposite, I can see whether it's running or not......:) I'm sure someone connected to tours can get you a number. I did check the phone directory but no luck.

sybillecutey

May 16, 2007
9.30 ?
That's way early !
Does anyone else here have the phone number ?
I don't wanna go for nothing, since Im coming from santiago.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Thanks to everyone for the directions and good advice. We went today, arrived around 9.30am and there was no queue and we waited alone for a short while during which time some young Dominicans arrived who appeared to be on a school outing as they were supervised and very excited. Both Charlie and I and our visitors from UK throughly enjoyed the whole experience even when the cable car stopped abruptly mid flight!! We were assured that it was only a 'power glitch' - I promise I didn't even panic then whilst we were stationary and rocking in mid air!! Cost to us as DR residents was 100 pesos each and our visitors paid 200 pesos each. Luckily it was pretty clear, the view was amazing. When we ventured back down just after noon the cloud had lowered and it was an eerie feeling descending into the mist plus, by then, it was crowded with tourists in both directions. Before returning home we cooled down at El Rocon where we had a sandwich lunch. A thoroughly pleasant day and would definitely recommend the Teleferico to all.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If you are with Dominicans let them buy the tickets as gringo prices can apply.

No, please don't. If you are a tourist please pay the tourist price. The difference is only 100 pesos and this enables local schoolchildren to enjoy the facility. Thank you.

Cost to us as DR residents was 100 pesos each and our visitors paid 200 pesos each.

Glad you enjoyed it, whirleybird :).

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
9.30 ?
That's way early !
Does anyone else here have the phone number ?I don't wanna go for nothing, since Im coming from santiago.

809-970-0501................as posted previously and by Lamada......

......We call this number to get hours and whether they are open on certain severe weather days and they usually answer.......