Where's the best place to live?

onedaysoon

May 9, 2008
It looks like my fiance will be deported to DR, and I don't want to be w/o him, so it looks like I'm moving with him.

Where's the best place to live? to find work? to raise a family? I have a bachelor degree from Montclair state in NJ, will my degree be useful in dr?

Also, even though I'm Dominican, I don't really speak spanish, but I can understand most of it, & read some of it, will it be very hard in the beginning?

We're planning on getting married over there, do I automatically become a citizen or not?

I guess I need a general idea of how it will be since him & I will be on our own, no help from his family members or mine.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
If your story is true your boyfriend is incarcerated at this time. If you can live without him now.... You will be able to live without him later. I have a question for you. How can some one with a good education be so dumb? What happens if you get pregnant? What happens when you get tired of living in the DR and want to go home? You know what do it. Why do I bother?

onedaysoon

May 9, 2008
Wtf

jruane44 , I didn't post hear to have to read ur negative comments. If you can't answer the the question that I post, then don't bother to reply.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
jruane44 , I didn't post hear to have to read ur negative comments. If you can't answer the the question that I post, then don't bother to reply.

You are going to speak in such a tone in Los Charomicos too?

Well, well...

God bless you!

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
i will refrain from criticizing the OP and her motives, i just hope it all works out in the end. I suggest you make a serious effort learning to speak, read and write spanish fluently and correctly. In terms of getting a job I am sure there are plenty out there, but the need for english speaking people I would think comes easier in the capital as they are always looking for help at the high end hotels. also check the resorts and airports as they look to hire english speaking individuals as well. Good luck wherever your travels take you!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I cannot say that the future is rosy. Most likely your b/f will be ostracized in local society and is probably without any 'saleable' skill sets. That means work will be difficult, most likely in the call center business or returning to what got him in trouble in the first place (a generalization, I know, but 70% of all deportees are/were in "that" business).

Your parents are probably right, but you are a big girl now. So, what is your degree? Are you a computer engineer? Civil engineer? Or a teacher? (I remember Montclair State Teachers College)...what skills can you market? With a degree and a good personality you can probably find work.

Were you born in the states? If so, you have a series of benefits that should not be lost: Social Security, Medicaid, etc....As well as the possibility of Federal Loans for further study.

Let's see where this goes...the OP needs knowledge now....later on we can tell her what we think of this situation...

HB

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
onedaysoon, it's a good thing that you are making the effort to inform yourself ahead of time!! :) You'll learn alot of useful help & tips on this board!

Just be aware (as I'm sure you are) the move will not be an easy one...especially if you are not able to communicate with ease in Spanish. The suggestion to learn as much as you can before you go is a good one.

Since you are Dominican, have you visited the DR much? Are you familiar with any part of the country??

As HB requested, it'll be easier for ppl to help and give suggestions if you can let us know what your bachelor degree is in.

Don't mind the occasional negativity in responses - they just know you are in for a bit of a tough time, the DR is not always the easiest place to live & adjust to. But that is your decision, and since it is what you have chosen to do, you will just have to adapt. Same as any other difficult circumstances that arrive in life. ;)

Good Luck - Buena Suerta ;)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
There are work opportunities all around the country. Where you will live would usually depend on where you can find work. You could relocate to where the first of you finds work, and then the other one could look for work.

If you have Dominican parents, you qualify for Dominican citizenship. A woman who marries a Dominican man qualifies for Dominican citizenship. In both cases, a procedure needs to be carried out. It is easier than getting the residency, but it has many steps.

If you can understand Spanish, you should quickly be able to speak it.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Where to live etc is a complex issue! It will depend on so many variables. It is like asking for your opinion on what I should buy at the grocery store....... You don't know what I like, what I need, what I already have or what I can cook! (the answer to the last is very little....)

So, tell us what your skills are, what you like, what his skills are, etc and then maybe we can help you out.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
money, money, money!!!!!!!!do not come here without at least 10K us dollars and with that you will just get by, riding the bus, eating rice and beans, no discos or restaurants. with 10k you have a chance of making it 1 year while looking for work. do not let the boyfriend anywhere near that money, it is only for paying rent and food, that money is not for starting a business, not for his cousin to start a business, not for his mother's liposuction that will save her life, not to fix a friends car to drive to a maybe job. it is not to loan to his best friend who will pay it back with interest. it is his country, he can and will sleep in a rat hole, he will get by in deplorable conditions, you grew up in the US and can not. dominicans do not understand tomorrow, that 10k can easily be gone in a week, dominicans do not understand "no", as in "no" you can't borrow from the 10k. i have seen many people with bachelors degrees in the western union office in tears, hands trembling, waiting for the money to get out of here. buy a round trip ticket.............i wish you only the best, you can do it, you will either love it or hate it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Whew! Now that is telling it like it really is....
Sort of sorry you had to let the cat out of the bag so soon....

If we can get the requested information, perhaps we can guide her more positively???

HB

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Wham.......

money, money, money!!!!!!!!do not come here without at least 10K us dollars and with that you will just get by, riding the bus, eating rice and beans, no discos or restaurants. with 10k you have a chance of making it 1 year while looking for work. do not let the boyfriend anywhere near that money, it is only for paying rent and food, that money is not for starting a business, not for his cousin to start a business, not for his mother's liposuction that will save her life, not to fix a friends car to drive to a maybe job. it is not to loan to his best friend who will pay it back with interest. it is his country, he can and will sleep in a rat hole, he will get by in deplorable conditions, you grew up in the US and can not. dominicans do not understand tomorrow, that 10k can easily be gone in a week, dominicans do not understand "no", as in "no" you can't borrow from the 10k. i have seen many people with bachelors degrees in the western union office in tears, hands trembling, waiting for the money to get out of here. buy a round trip ticket.............i wish you only the best, you can do it, you will either love it or hate it.

True and informative - even though it made me think "ouch" when I read it!!
Pretty hard hitting amparocorp.

Rio

J

John Evans

where is the best place to live ? in ones own little world....just a minute Michael jackson tried that and look what happened to him

onedaysoon

May 9, 2008
I have a degree in Anthropology & History along w/ a Teaching degree.
I speak a lil spanish, but I understand it more than I speak & I can read it.

My uncle agreed to help me adjust, but I'm still planning on making an effort to find my own place

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
in SD or santiago you can get a nice nice apt for half of what you pay in NY/NJ. there are opportunities for certified teachers, other posts have gone into that issue, you will need to use the search function on this website. you will be paid half of what you would be paid in NY/NJ, maybe. your biggest expense will be a car, i know a lot of posters promote public transportation, it is cheap, but from 20 years experience, with and without car, having a car wins. everyone comes to this board worrying about the price of housing without ever thinking about how to get around, and a car, or taxis, can cost as much as a house. a car will give you a lot of freedom. come on down, this will be a wonderful experience for you, try to bring as much money as possible though. once you get settled you can cut your expenses down, but getting started will cost you a few bob.

swooperman

Oct 10, 2007
Stay where you are is the right choice.

This is no place to exchange for life in the US especially if you are well educated and have no large bank account to invest . I see unskilled people working 6 days a week 12 hours a day and earning 8000 pesos a month and many earn much less. If you want to live comfortably here you need about 2500 pesos a day but you could get by on 1500 if you lived modestly. This is not the place to live if you have no money.

or come and see for yourself.

The woman are the backbone of the country. Most of the men come out of the womb hand first instead of head first. Not all mind you. I know some hard working good men. Just make sure your guy is one of them.

With all due respect to you.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This is no place to exchange for life in the US especially if you are well educated and have no large bank account to invest . I see unskilled people working 6 days a week 12 hours a day and earning 8000 pesos a month and many earn much less. If you want to live comfortably here you need about 2500 pesos a day but you could get by on 1500 if you lived modestly. This is not the place to live if you have no money.

While I agree that paradise without money is not paradise, by your estimate of $2500 peso per day is $73+ US per day = $2205 per month. Her budjeting skill might be much better than yours and her needs/wants much less. Your low equals $1325 per month. I think as long as you have at least a $1000 per month it is doable.

Last edited: