Edenorte power?? and I don't mean electricity (Long post, sorry!)

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Alleged Edenorte personnel arrived beginning of December wanting to install a meter and were supposed to return the following day with a new contract - they did not return but that same night we had 1000 metres of electrical wire stolen... would you have been suspicious? Spoke with the Manager, Fabio, in Sabaneta and he agreed that they were not bonafide personnel from Edenorte and our contract was fine just as it was. Later the real Edenorte persons returned and again insisted on the new meters so we said okay but they did not arrive to do the work on the days they arranged. When they arrived and we were not in situe, our worker correctly told them they were not able to enter the property. We agreed with the Cabarete office that we had 2 weeks to correct electrical wiring before the meters were fitted. Then, and here comes the crunch... 10 days ago they disconnected us from the electrical system. We have run on generator and inverter power since then... today (again 3 days after the arranged time) they returned to fit the meters and reconnect us. They insisted on entering our house to see what appliances, TV's, computers, lights etc we have. Firstly we said "no" particularly as we had shut 10 dogs in the house to give them ease of access. They insisted so I released all the dogs, by which time they were back in their vehicle, moved it when I asked them not to as the dogs were lose, and drove off so we remain with no power... would you be more than a little annoyed? and does anyone have any recommendations as Charlie has got in the truck and driven to their offices to give them "hell"!!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Whirleybird, Sorry to hear about such problems. Just sent you a PM.

Regards, Ringo

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Next time they come, if you want them to stay, take some action to prevent them driving off i.e. block their vehicle with yours or someone else's, or purloin the vehicle keys quietly when they put them down somewhere or (last resort) when they're in the house have a helpful soul adjust the rotor arm or some such (secretively of course).

It might work if Charlie quietly and calmly refuses to leave their offices until the problem is corrected (which means you supervising the work & letting him know when it is done). 'Hell' may or may not work - I don't know the sort of relationship you have with them - if you have a good relationship with the Manager try to use this as a positive. Could Charlie also pop into the Mayor's office to apprise him of the situation? (assuming you personally know your Mayor, that is).

lollipop

Mar 28, 2008
I hope you or Charlie speak spanish.
Try to calm down, usually these workers are damn machos and love to be in control (and right now they are). A supervisor to talk to would be ideal, otherwise go to your local CDEE office, they're supposed to regulate whatever this electricity companies do.

Good luck!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Hey Whirleybird! Any action getting your power on? Anything we can do to help.

Regards, Ringo

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Lots of promises, especially broken ones!! But still no power on. Edenorte were due at 10am today but did not show up. When Charlie visited the Edenorte office in Sabaneta this morning their 'excuse' for leaving yesterday was the fact I let the dogs out - even though I only did that to let them in the house which is what they said was required and oddly enough not one dog even barked at them!! Anyway, we have plenty of diesel for the genny and live in hope of their promises for Monday.

lollipop

Mar 28, 2008
I don't think you'll get any assistance during the weekend.

I would go to their office on Monday and wouldn't leave without the crew!

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
So sorry to hear of your problems with edenorte and of your wire being ripped off.
I can't imagine what authority the "workers" of edenorte would have entering your private home. This is totally unnecessary, in my opinion.
I have been through the same similiar situation (no shows), except that we had a supervisor present when the meter was installed. They too wanted to enter our home and under no circumstances were allowed. They wanted to see what "appliances" we had also. This is all due for the fact that they think you will steal the electricity, and run all major "appliances" off it, thats why they want to see what you have. This is unwarranted. First off, you are having a meter installed (honest patron), second you have a generator (limits necessity for being on the grid), third your a foriegner.
I feel for you guy's and hope that this can be settled soon, so that you can get back into enjoying your lives.
Reese

Feb 7, 2007
How would a Dominican deal with this? Welol, if he has a contract and no meter and no connection - he would pay somebody to connect. Direct. Without a meter. It is not illegal if you do have a contract. They know they would lose if they brought any claim, because the fault is theirs. Once they come, they isntall the meter and everything is OK.

I was in a similar situation. After I moved - the company (EdeEste) was missing appointments. I got fed up, installed the connection directly and taped a copy of the contract and "recibo" on the wall. Several days later the crew came, they got me to sign on a paper, asked what appliances I had, installed the meter (even left the same wiring) and off they went.... of course, before doing this I consulted if it was legal and I was told yes. I was told to make sure to leave a copy of the contract visible.

When I first set up the connection, they didn't have 220V meters, so they just connected me direct and told me to tape the contract in a visible location.

Don't forget that PROTECOM (a unit of CEDEE) is at your disposal to file a claim. They are usually very responsive and don't hold side to either party.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
FYI, our electricity was reconnected at 3.15pm today having been off for 14.5 days. I hope that the fact it went off at 3.30pm was a usual interruption!!! Delighted to have power again but a serious letter of complaint will be sent to Edenorte shortly especially detailing the attitude of some of their staff....