are e mail addresses safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Evans

I recieved an invite to another dr site which looked like it came from here but turned out to be from somewhere else ( it actually mentioned dr1 and had someones user name on it)...it was sent to an e mail address I had previously used- so I wondered if banned peoples addresses had fallen into other peoples hands

Feb 7, 2007
It was most likely sent to you by using the "-v" icon next to your username, option "Send email to XXXX_user".

This way you get an email originated on DR1.com servers, with the username of the person that sent you the message (via DR1.com), and the body of the message is what the person writes to you.

Like I will send it to you this way to say "Hello" so you see how it works.

You can report this to Robert if you want and feel the other person was spamming you.

Mark835

Nov 28, 2005
I work in this field and it is in fact very easy to send an email and appear to anyone you like using cheap commercially available software.This how you get so much spam mail that couldn't possibly from who it seems. I don't know if this has happened in this case but just beware people, email is easily faked. Just ask a friend of mine who freaked out when he received a message from his wife saying she has run off with the postman.;)..lol

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
There has been quite a bit of spam to DR1 users and posters from this 'other' site. Amazes me that someone would try and put up a similar forum to the DR1 (cheap and free and no content) and then try and recruit DR1 posters to post on their forum? Does it make sense to you?

Personally I don't use an email address here. Too much spam from folks who do not know what they are about and who attempt to put their mental confusion into my inbox :ermm:. So, my preference is to use the private mail system. It really cuts down on the spam.

J

John Evans

it wasnt sent to the e mail address that now appears in my profile- thats why i wondered if someone had got hold of a list of them

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I received an invite to another dr site which looked like it came from here but turned out to be from somewhere else ( it actually mentioned dr1 and had someones user name on it)...it was sent to an e mail address I had previously used- so I wondered if banned peoples addresses had fallen into other peoples hands
You mean this one?

You could contact mountainfrog yourself and ask him where he got your email address from.
You could even ask him if he thinks it's ethical to use DR1's mailing addresses or PMs to try to sell a competitive product, and then come back and tells us what he said.
I know I'd be interested to hear how he justifies it, and I'm sure others would too.

J

John Evans

something like that but from someone else - the e mail address was one i used for my incarnation that was sent on holiday- seems like someones using a data base of banned email addresses as i havent had an e mail on my current one

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Nobody has access to our email databases. We even limit access within the DR1 office.

We use a blind email feature on the message board, so someone sending you an email via this forum has no idea what your email address is.

As for some posters spamming other forums, that we have taken care of.
I'm all for seeing more DR related forums and the end of the day, it's all about promoting and informing people about the DR. What I will not allow is someone piggy backing on our success and spamming our posters.

J

John Evans

just thought id bring it to everyones attention since i get enough spam thank you very much

Status
Not open for further replies.