clear round "jelly" balls on beach?

icefisher01

May 9, 2008
on my visit to PC this week, I was walking along the beach and saw hunderds of little clear balls the size of a marble. they had liqiud in them. a local told me they are called something like "aqua views" ?? he said if you pop them the liquid will cause a bad rash on your skin.
Anyone know what these things are? what they come from?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
on my visit to PC this week, I was walking along the beach and saw hunderds of little clear balls the size of a marble. they had liqiud in them. a local told me they are called something like "aqua views" ?? he said if you pop them the liquid will cause a bad rash on your skin.
Might it have been tiny jellyfish?

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Agua viva?

Maybe related to these jellyfish - aqua viva?

YouTube - Água viva VIVA

YouTube - agua viva

icefisher01

May 9, 2008
That is what the local guy called it but the videos show jellyfish but the ones I saw where perfectly round balls the size of marbles....
What would "agua viva" in english be? maybe I could research it that way??
Thank you for posting those links.

Holger

Aug 25, 2009
Has this issue been resolved? We have found balls of this description in South Africa, and noone seems to know what they are?

Appearing everywhere

These are gelatinous animals, called salps. While similar in appearance to the more familiar jellyfish, salps have no stingers and pose no safety concerns to swimmers.

Yhey are apparently appearing all over the world in different shapes, many beleive it has to do with global warming.

Dumbfounded

Nov 15, 2011
Just found dozens of them on the beach in Great Exuma, Bahamas. They're called Salps. Google it.. Very interesting.