Video of 2008 Presidential Debate and Election (mock)

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
This is one of the many reasons why I love living and teaching in the DR. The original article and video can be found HERE on my blog. - RHM

"The Political Science Club at my school recently conducted an election simulation. Each of the three major Dominican presidential candidates (Leonel Fernandez, Miguel Vargas, Amable Aristy) were represented by students who campaigned and debated the issues. The finale was a school-wide election (pre-k through 12th graders voted). This video is a brief overview of the work that went into the project. The election results are at the end. Can you guess who won? Who came in second? Third?"

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F-NNOtFEvj8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F-NNOtFEvj8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

RHM

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Question?

This is one of the many reasons why I love living and teaching in the DR. The original article and video can be found HERE on my blog. - RHM

"The Political Science Club at my school recently conducted an election simulation. Each of the three major Dominican presidential candidates (Leonel Fernandez, Miguel Vargas, Amable Aristy) were represented by students who campaigned and debated the issues. The finale was a school-wide election (pre-k through 12th graders voted). This video is a brief overview of the work that went into the project. The election results are at the end. Can you guess who won? Who came in second? Third?"

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F-NNOtFEvj8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F-NNOtFEvj8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

RHM

Do you think your students "got" it? Do you think they internalized the process and the value system and the net worth of the election? It looks like you went through a lot to do this and there should be more teachers doing work like this.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Do you think your students "got" it? Do you think they internalized the process and the value system and the net worth of the election? It looks like you went through a lot to do this and there should be more teachers doing work like this.

Yeah, they definately "got it" and did a fantastic job throughout. Those pictures and video were taken over a 5 week period. You're right, it's a lot of work but well worth the payoff.

RHM

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I think those final numbers reflect how much smarter the students are compared to the country as a whole :)

What was the main reason MVP received such a low vote?

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
I think those final numbers reflect how much smarter the students are compared to the country as a whole :)

What was the main reason MVP received such a low vote?

Excellent question. We are now going through our anonymous post-election surveys to determine the factors that influenced their decisions (debate performance, issues, family's affiliation etc.). Should I post that info. once we have the summary?

RHM

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Were the candidates allowed to use the standard campaigning methods - i.e. did "Aristy" hand out chickens and piglets, did Leonel hand out cash, promise contracts and botellas, did MVM hand out RD$2,000 vouchers that can only be cashed in if he wins? - or did they campaign on ideology/proposals alone?

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Brilliant

This is how a democracy develops. You are doing outstanding work to develop young minds in the democratic process and their right to form their own opinions.

In watching the local cable channels who send out their roving reporters asking people who's going to win and whom they are going to vote for I have seen most people tell their preferences, a few refuse to answer, a couple have said they don't have cedulas and ONE.....ONE...said "it's a secret ballot".

I think a non scientific indicator of the gradually developing democracy here is the declining level of violence here in the last three or four elections.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Were the candidates allowed to use the standard campaigning methods - i.e. did "Aristy" hand out chickens and piglets, did Leonel hand out cash, promise contracts and botellas, did MVM hand out RD$2,000 vouchers that can only be cashed in if he wins? - or did they campaign on ideology/proposals alone?

Look closely in the video. You can see "Amable" throwing candy from the balcony.

I'll post the results summary after we've sifted through all of the surveys.

Thanks for all the great feedback. I'll pass it along to the Political Science Club.

RHM

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Reasons for voting

Sure, post the results,

The reasons are all over the place. Some voted for their candidate because of family affiliations, some in response to their debate performance, and some because of the gifts. Just like real life. Lots of different reasons.

RHM