Is the DR a great place for US Veterans to move to?

luvsurfluvsun

May 10, 2008
Good Afternoon DR!

I am a Floridian and a US Combat Veteran. I would appreciate if anyone could answer a few questions regarding moving to the DR. I am a recently medically discharged Veteran, and was told by a beautiful young lady at the VA Clinic how beautiful Dominican Republic was. She suggested I move there and could live comfortably off my military disability which is %70. (Around $1,000 USD a month)So I am wanting to move to DR in a month or so.
1) Where do most Veterans live in DR?
2) I have been told that Punta cana, and Santiago are beautiful. Which town would be best for a young single caucasian man? (I am 40);)
3) I want to live within walking distance to the beach. Is this possible in Punta Cana?
4) Are there VA Clinics or Hospitals in DR?
5) I have a few military tattoos, if I am at the beach or a pool, am I looked down upon?
6) I am not a rich kid, nor am I discourteous, or spoiled. I have been pretty much poor my whole life, so the living conditions do not have to be extravagant. Can I find a nice rental apartment close to the beach...maybe with AC, but not required?
7) I do not want a car or scooter, so is it possible to survive in a beach town in the DR with no transportation except my two feet, or a bicycle?
8) Realistically how much money should I bring with me to find a place to move into?
9) Is it possible that someone there would hire me to provide security. I am a former US Marine and a former US Army Airborne Ranger?
10) Do you recommend I start studying up on Spanish or is it best to just wait and learn Dominican Republic Spanish?

Thank you very much for your help, time and answers.
I appreciate this Forum and all the great information.

Best Regards,
Dale

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
While there have been many recent threads of this nature which you may find helpful to read, I think it would be near to impossible to sustain yourself on USD$1000/month if you wish to live in Punta Cana.

A rental unit in this area would run you close to that monthly.

Good luck!

J

John Evans

I would come for a holiday first - santiago isnt by the sea by the way and the centre of santiago isnt particularly beautiful - maybe the north might suit you there is a wide range of people here its not just a holiday area like some

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It's not impossible, but it is difficult.
The hardest part is that you have no previous knowledge or contacts.
I've been living here since '91 and am convinced that I could do it on a grand per month, not that I would want to, as it would be rather meager.
You'd have to come down here and check it out, see how good or bad a lifestyle that you would have on your budget, then make your decision from there.
Possible areas for you would be, Sosua, Puerto Plata, Cabarete, Cabrera, Nagua, Las Terrenas.

bart6

Aug 17, 2007
i think you can do it in sosua, fly into puerto plata and check it out.

no car affordable apartment, etc. i know people who live on $1k a month, you just need to be a little thrifty.

luvsurfluvsun

May 10, 2008
Thank you very much! I think I will be swooping that way soon to visit first...probably a way better idea than just jumping straight into a move. I'll look into Sosua. Thanks again!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thank you very much! I think I will be swooping that way soon to visit first...probably a way better idea than just jumping straight into a move. I'll look into Sosua. Thanks again!
If you live in the outskirts, rents would be cheaper, of course.
I was thinking of that small motorbike/scooter made by Yamaha that sells for $1,500 US and gets 100 miles to the gallon. (It's a small 105 cc, 4 stroke, really reliable and cheap to operate.)
It would pay for itself and vastly improve your lifestyle.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Read the above. There are several vets living here or who have lived here. Navy, Air Force and Army...Send them PMs..and see what they say.

I know that there are no VA services here. One of my friends is moving back to Texas because there he will be close to VA medical services for him and his family.

Good luck with this, but our advice to you is going to be the same: Go slow and do it right. We can serve as your sounding board and offer what we know to help you make up your mind.

Visit first, of course. Look around...you might be surprised...

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
She suggested I move there and could live comfortably off my military disability which is %70. (Around $1,000 USD a month)

It can be done for this much if you don't live extravagantly and eat the local foods.

I don't think there is a preference. I also don't think there are a great deal of them here. I'm ex Army, 82nd and live in Santiago.

2) I have been told that Punta cana, and Santiago are beautiful. Which town would be best for a young single caucasian man? (I am 40);)

Depends on what you are looking for. It will be more dificult to meet a "serious" girl in the tourist areas like on the coast.

3) I want to live within walking distance to the beach. Is this possible in Punta Cana?

I believe so, but I believe this is very expensive. Other popular areas close to the beach are Juan Dolio, Sosua, and Puerto Plata.

No. Also, it may be helpful to summarize your medical condition to make sure you can receive the care you need here without going bankrupt.

5) I have a few military tattoos, if I am at the beach or a pool, am I looked down upon?

Dominicans don't typically have a lot of tatoos, but they will know you are a gringo so it won't matter. If anything if you are tring to pick up girls it won't be difficult, they will be trying to pick you up. For long term serious relationships, don't look for any girls on the beach, not until your Spanish is fluent and you can distinguish between a sanky and a local visiting.

6) I am not a rich kid, nor am I discourteous, or spoiled. I have been pretty much poor my whole life, so the living conditions do not have to be extravagant. Can I find a nice rental apartment close to the beach...maybe with AC, but not required?

I'm sure you can find ac, but that can be expensive. If you are a real Ranger, you can hang with a fan like I do. Trust me, you will get accustomed and will learn to prefer it this way. Think of it as good training in the beginning.

7) I do not want a car or scooter, so is it possible to survive in a beach town in the DR with no transportation except my two feet, or a bicycle?

Yes, it is very cheap for the most part, just don't get too much in a hurry - and please learn Spanish asap so they don't take you to the cleaners.

8) Realistically how much money should I bring with me to find a place to move into?

If you are renting you will need between 200 and 500US monthly.

9) Is it possible that someone there would hire me to provide security. I am a former US Marine and a former US Army Airborne Ranger?

Without Spanish I doubt it. However, if you have a security clearance try contacting the DEA liason in Santo Domingo. I belive they work out of the Naval attache's office. I hope that isn't classified, haha!

10) Do you recommend I start studying up on Spanish or is it best to just wait and learn Dominican Republic Spanish?

Learn Spanish by taking classes and doing coursework, whether here or abroad. The immersion stuff is crap and while some say they are fluent using this method, Dominicans will say otherwise, trust me. If you can make it through Ranger school, you can make it through 1 to 2 years of Spanish classes. They are available here in the DR.

luvsurfluvsun

May 10, 2008
Thank you for those links. A lot of strife, but still good info. I am not discouraged, and I love challenges. It looks like Sosua is my first spot to explore, and I had never heard of it before. I am also curious if I can use my GI Bill to go to a school there full time which will give me around $1100 more dollars a month.....things to research. Thank ya'll again for the feedback!
Cheers,
Dale

luvsurfluvsun

May 10, 2008
Chip and Hillbilly,
Hooah! Thank ya'll very much. Chip, All American 82nd is a great unit. I was with 2nd Bat out of Ft Lewis WA. Yea eventually I'd like to meet the serious girl but in the mean time, I'm up for the fun. Thank you for answering a bunch of my questions, and I will stay in touch with DR1 as to my progress. After Iraq heat, a fan is just as good as an AC unit. :) Have a great evening!
Cheers,
Dale

megabiteme

[ - Mute Button -] Click!
Jan 9, 2008
disability

Good Afternoon DR!

I am a Floridian and a US Combat Veteran. I would appreciate if anyone could answer a few questions regarding moving to the DR. I am a recently medically discharged Veteran, and was told by a beautiful young lady at the VA Clinic how beautiful Dominican Republic was. She suggested I move there and could live comfortably off my military disability which is %70. (Around $1,000 USD a month)So I am wanting to move to DR in a month or so.

Thank you very much for your help, time and answers.
I appreciate this Forum and all the great information.

Best Regards,
Dale

hello there,

I get ssi and only 825.00 per month of my 1900.00 from social security because of my child support issues. I have landed a internet job that pays 6.00 dollars an hour just talking to people, so it adds up for sure and its also not reported to anything nor do you pay tax on the money earned. I had no choice but to find something because living on 825.00 per month can be hard at times. I live in esq. esquia if i spelled it correctly and it's a nice area. i pay only 5,000 pesos or 152.00 bucks per month for rent for a 2 bedroom apartment. I'm living pretty good now and bought a satellite system as well so i kinda feel like I'm living back in N.Y at least when I'm watching T.V so there is hope! and since your not working either, let me know if you want more info about this job. You need to work at least 10 hours per week and you can work up to 105 hours if you want to. they pay 8.10 an hour for over time after 44 hours. contact me via my email at arecene2002@yahoo.com if I can help you. good luck!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Suggest you also check out Puerto Rico

First - thanks for your service and I am sorry that you are now disabled. While you may in fact be very happy here I would also suggest that you check out Puerto Rico since it is a US territory and also has sun and surf and beautiful women(Please, let us not have a fight over this-- really)

I have spent four years here and an equal number back and forth to PR. For a Vet -- you will have some really advangtages there. While there is no VA hospital here, you might well be able to get some sort of coverage with Medicare/Medicaid disability, and there will be a LOT less adapting to do. There are little things - like the post office - to the big things- like the banks and the LAW-- and your credit rating and all that.

So please do not decide on the DR until you have also checked out PR. For either place $1K is not a lot of money now but it will be much easier for you to find work in PR since the stars and stripes is the flag. good luck and enjoy.