Getting a US passport in DR

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Has any DR1 community member been recently through the process of applying for a US passport for a first time at the US Consulate in Santo Domingo. Which forms were used? How much can be done online, how many visits are necessary to the US Consulate? Any tips to expedite this? Could you give insights and details of the experience? I read on the Internet a child under 16 will only be given a 5-year passport (and more paperwork needed), while a 16+ child will be given a 10-year passport. Thanks for sharing any recent (past two years).

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
If this if for a child, is the mother, or is it the father, who is a US citizen ? (This DOES matter to the US Consulate, and if it is the father, I will offer my experiences to all of you)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
This is for two minors who had not been issued US passports previously. They have US certificates of citizenship.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Call

Call American Citizen Services section at the SDQ Consular office on maximo gomez and ask those questions and they should be able to answer. You can also call Alexandra at the POP Consular office at 809 586-8023. She can steer you in the right direction I think. Their office hours are 9-12 and 2 - 4 daily last time I checked.

Soy Jeffrey

May 11, 2008
delores,

it has been 5 years since getting my daughter her passport. the process for me was relatively smooth and took 3 visits to the consular.

you probably have this info but if you don't will give you all current requirements.

Click here for current info

jeffrey

E-Inc

Feb 11, 2005
My son's passport was issued with only two visits to the consulate in SD. He was born in the DR so there was a lot of paperwork involved, but everything was in order. His mother is Dominican and I am American. My son received his US Passport, Birth Abroad Certificate and social security card. I was surprised at the ease as I heard horror stories. You have to call the consulate because forms, requirements, and office hours do change. Use the website as a reference, but follow up with someone at the consulate in SD.