Decent Hotels in Samana

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
I'm just doing some early planning for making it to Samana for Whale watching next season and I might make a run to the area sooner to check out other sights.

I'd be traveling on Caribe Tours from SD and I'm having some difficulty finding an ordinary non-resort-AI hotel. I'm thinking of a $35 to $60 type with AC that's pretty common in other coast towns. Internet reservations. All I seem to find are expensive AI's or references to very small/ local places with no website, no AC.

I don't have any special prjudice against small cheap hotels and if there's a breeze or fan the AC is not essential.

I just don't want to get stuck in some place that's full of unpleasant surprises.

Any recommendations on where to stay in Samana for Whale watching or general exploration? AmI better off staying in Las Terranas or another city with better lodging choices and traveling from there to Samana? If so what are the local connections like? TIA

gilleganproperties

Apr 1, 2008
i?ve stayed in las ballenas a couple of times as i work nearby, great place, friendly staff no AC but lots of breeze.
try the pineapple marmalade with your croissants in the morning - beautiful!

Berliner

Aug 9, 2007
It is difficult to find nice hotels in Santa Barbara de Samana and I would recommend to stay either in Las Terrenas or Las Galeras. From both towns there are regularly guaguas to Samana (about 45 min.) and you have nicer beaches, restaurants and lots of places to stay. Some whalewatching tours offer shuttle-service to Samana. You can also go whalewatching from out Las Galeras and combine it with a visit to Playa Fronton.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
La Tambora is a nice, clean reasonably priced resort with a private beach.

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
How far is Las Ballenas Escondidas drivinig from downtown Samana

Hotel Las Ballenas Escondidas is 12km or 7.5 miles from Pueblo Principe in the town of Samana, and 200 meters away from Hotel La Tambora, on the same side of the road. Their sign on the road is not that great, so if you reach the entrance to the new Vista Mare Condos, you have gone to far and have to come back.

WebDev

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Is El Meranique???( I can't remember how to spell it) still around in Las Galaras? I haven't seen Andy online/posting in a long while. I stayed there last January and had a nice time.

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
i did some research on samana hotels and was going to stay at this onehttp://larancheta.com/ never went but the owners seemed very nice and replied quickly online to my requests. not plugging but more options to consider:squareeye will go there this year hopefully... enjoy your visit