Member Status?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR_Life

Feb 28, 2008
If these questions are elsewhere, please just point to them. Thanks.

Why are there a whole bunch of regular posters "On Vacation"??? What is the difference between "On Vacation" and "On Vacation for awhile?" and "Banned"? What are the criteria for these various states of a poster? The first time I read "On Vacation" I thought "How nice...someone has updated their status to let people know that they would not respond for awhile," however, now I understand that means something completely different. Is there a list of people in the "cyber penalty box" somewhere (I 'm thinking like the Nathianel Hawthorn's THE SCARLET LETTER maybe?)

Lastly, what happened to some posters' entire threads? Do threads get moved without notice or "moved to" sign?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
what happened to some posters' entire threads? Do threads get moved without notice or "moved to" sign?

If a first time poster starts a thread in a not so appropriate forum and if I'm able to move it to the right forum I send a pm to let them know and give them the link to it. There is also a redirect link in whatever forum you started the thread in, otherwise just click on the icon "new posts" and you'll find a lost thread if it has any new posts.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Interesting - how did you find out they were "on vacation?"
Is that why it is so quiet at the moment - You can hear a pin drop!
We are even posting about posts......

Rio

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
"On Vacation" is another way of saying. Cool down and forget DR1 for a while. How long is a while? Sometimes a couple of days, other times 6 months.

When someone gets banned, in most cases their entire posting history is removed.
Very few posters get banned.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Wow...

"On Vacation" is another way of saying. Cool down and forget DR1 for a while. How long is a while? Sometimes a couple of days, other times 6 months.

Is there a list for public viewing or do we just not see them around for a while?

Rio

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Lastly, what happened to some posters' entire threads? Do threads get moved without notice or "moved to" sign?

We moderators are given admin options when we move a thread as to whether or not leave behind a "moved to" notice, and how long we want the notice to stay up (one month? several months? forever?). I can't speak for all mods, but I know that when I move a thread out of the Environment Forum I always leave a "moved to" notice, usually for at least a month. If it's an active thread most of the participants will catch on within that period.

I suspect most of my fellow mods do likewise.

If a thread has disappeared without a move notice, chances are good that it got deleted for some reason.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Is that why it is so quiet at the moment - You can hear a pin drop!
We are even posting about posts......

Rio
I for one, appreciate the "quietness".
All the energy wasted on battling fools can be put to good use, answering serious questions in greater detail.
It may look statistically better when there are a bunch of controversial posts with people battling, and there may be some who like that stuff, like those who watch Nascar for the crashes.
I'm much happier with all the monkeys in one cage.
Let them battle amongst themselves, while we actually accomplish things in life, instead of wasting our valuable time on them.

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
I agree

All the energy wasted on battling fools can be put to good use, answering serious questions in greater detail.
It may look statistically better when there are a bunch of controversial posts with people battling, and there may be some who like that stuff, like those who watch Nascar for the crashes.
I'm much happier with all the monkeys in one cage.
Let them battle amongst themselves, while we actually accomplish things in life, instead of wasting our valuable time on them.

It may be a little quieter but the majority of posts now deal with the DR and related issues, not the silly battle of nit-wits. :cheeky: As I stated in another post I prefer contributing to the lighter side of life and leave the heavy stuff to those who deal with it daily, but I really enjoy, and I have been educated through, the posts of many who can debate or discuss a topic without all the drama. Just my thought.;)

Last edited:

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006

Oh but Rocky...

Remember us poor mortals, stuck in other climes reliving our DR lives and experiences through DR1. Hanging on every new written word, waiting for a chance to join in a bit of lively banter -
JohnEvans and Kyle - that bit was aimed at you! lol

Seriously, I can see that a lot of you must feel pretty jaded by it all and of course you have busy lives and businesses to run too - but I kinda love it all. If it doesn't get noisier soon - I may just have to jump on a plane ;)

Just read leekivs post - to clarify, it is not the "infighting" posts that I miss, it is the "fun" ones - e.g romantic drink.

I do try and contribute to the "serious" ones but because I am a bit different to most and do "my own thing" and am brave enough to admit it and write about it I get flamed!
Rio

Last edited:
J

John Evans

some people cant handle having their bottoms slapped- I quite like it- dont put me on the naughty step again though

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It may be a little quieter but the majority of posts now deal with the DR and related issues, not the silly battle of nit-wits. :cheeky: As I stated in another post I prefer contributing to the lighter side of life and leave the heavy stuff to those who deal with it daily, but i really enjoy, and I have been educated through, the posts of many who can debate or discuss a topic without all the drama. Just my thought.;)
And a good thought, it is.
As if there weren't enough strife in life, without being involved with fools who enjoy making more.
What pleasure they derive from it is beyond me, but it may be similar to the locals who will stop their car in the middle of the road and block traffic, as it makes them feel important to know that they are the center of attention, and it makes them feel like they have an upper hand, as they are the ones who are causing you to wait, therefore they feel like they have control.
After all, doctors, lawyers and government officials make people wait and they are "important" people, so the guy blocking the traffic, feels important too.
I suspect that the trolls feel the same way.
When they can get a rise out of someone, it makes them feel important.

Mar 2, 2008
I always agree with Rocky, whether he's right or wrong.
But please, I just want the April 1 posts to continue next year. The laughs lasted a good long while.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
some people cant handle having their bottoms slapped- I quite like it- dont put me on the naughty step again though
Here you go...

slapping-machine12.jpg

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
The lLttle Prince

And a good thought, it is.
As if there weren't enough strife in life, without being involved with fools who enjoy making more.
What pleasure they derive from it is beyond me, but it may be similar to the locals who will stop their car in the middle of the road and block traffic, as it makes them feel important to know that they are the center of attention, and it makes them feel like they have an upper hand, as they are the ones who are causing you to wait, therefore they feel like they have control.
After all, doctors, lawyers and government officials make people wait and they are "important" people, so the guy blocking the traffic, feels important too.
I suspect that the trolls feel the same way.
When they can get a rise out of someone, it makes them feel important.

Reading this post reminded of the classic book "The Little Prince" and the character in the book--The King. He is the King of his land. He is the only person that lives on his planet. The Prince questions him-What are you King of? He says EVERYTHING....I am very IMPORTANT!

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
I must be really sheltered!!!

Reading this post reminded of the classic book "The Little Prince" and the character in the book--The King. He is the King of his land. He is the only person that lives on his planet. The Prince questions him-What are you King of? He says EVERYTHING....I am very IMPORTANT!

I never heard of that. HMM. And what about the Queen?? Obviously this book must be real old cause I think the Queen probably would have straightened his butt out on who's who.. :cheeky:

lol Love John's butt slapper hahaha

Last edited:
J

John Evans

is there an ugly frog and a wicked queen in this story- whomsoever this golden flipflop fits will live happily ever after- apartfrom people making fun of the fliipflops

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
lol OMG

We are all just soooo terrible we hijacked this thread and now I forgot what the topic was/is.

Sorry to the OP but it seems we just cannot help ourselves.:cheeky:

OK all now let's behave and try to get back on topic before the mod's beat us with wet noodles. :squareeye:bunny::bunny:

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
i see you as tinkerbell but a lot bigger

Or perhaps Peter Pan - never gets old!!!!!

:cheeky:

Sorry leekiv and OP - Serious head on again.....

Member status - Oh Yes!

Doesn't flip flop look funny written down...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.