One Max warning

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I searched back one month for all the rave postings on the new Wimax service here in SD. The search option did not yield anything.

But wanted to WARN you all about getting this. I went and bought - really on the strength of the recommendations of this board and found

!- Does not work in Gazcue, despite what they said. only one bar. I did have some service on some days for an hour or two and then it would go out. Really no better than Tricom for which I was paying $800 pesos!

2. The price is TRIPLE what is posted on their publicity- so instead of it being $750 pesos a month it will be $2547. pesos per month.!!!!!!!!!!

3. They make you sign a blank signiture form before they show you the prices.

4. The type on the customer contract that they print out is so small that no human could possibly read it.

5. If you do not have a cedula, you have to pay 8,000 pesos for the equipment which is three times what others have to pay - why? - do they think that I am going to take it back to the STAtes with me?

SO I WOULD BE VERY VERY CAREFUL WHEN DEALING WITH THIS COMPANY... I THINK THAT THEY ARE SCAM ARTISTS: REALLY::

You only have 48 hours to return the equipment. And who actually ever got anything done here inside of 48 hours? (And of course, with my incredible string of bad luck which seems to be running against me right now, my muchacha took the intiative to THROW OUT THE original box - so now I cannot return the equipment).

Fortunately, I only signed for one month so I can stop this.....

but I did want to warn you.

Be prepared to spend the day with them if you go. Come with a magnifying glass to read the small print. Make sure that you test it and be prepared to bring it back-

Of course, I will grant that this may be MY karma and MY stupidity and somehow by some convuluted twist of fate all MY fault but ......but.... but.-

I now have my local computer dealer working on the case.

Moderator - could you move this to the One MAx thread - which I could not find? thanks

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
One MAXWarning Update SAGA

I still can?t find the thread for the One MAx which I am now perhaps imagining (?)that I read here. All about Robert having seen the roll out and everyone asking about it and how they could not wait to get off of Codetel... Perhaps I ate some bad ceviche and halluncinated this.

Anyway, my wonderful internet team (J& G Computers on Casimiro de Moira in Gazcue) came over to my place to hook up a router to the new box. Then took the box back to their store to test it. Still only one bar. So Papi copied my reciept and went to Acropolis with the equipment and got another box and exchanged it. The second box was worse than the first.

So Papi and his son, Raul are going to drive me over there this after noon to return the box and fight to get my 8000 pesos returned. Raul is coming because he is fluent in English and will be there to translate for me when I curse them out in English. I told them that I will wear my press pass. And bring my tape recorder. We are all looking forward to it,.

Knowing as I do that Dominican businesses NEVER return the money, I am prepared to really cause a bit of a rumpus. Come on over to the Acropolis this PM if you want to see some indoor fireworks.

Papi says that the printed receipt for 1999 pesos was just a fradulent bill for the government for the 8000 pesos which I paid. The monthly cost really is supposed to be 790 pesos.

But I suspect that this is all just a HUGE SCAM to get the 5000 - or 8000pesos for the boxes,,,, which will NEVER work... DEFRAUD the government of the tax money... And then crawl back under the rock from whence they came....Of course they may keep the service working for a few months in Naco and Piantini before they scurry back....

Hey, I grew up in NYC, watching those 3 card monte games. I am only sorry that I put any cofidence in any of you boys here at DR1 who seem to spout off with the kilobytes and such... it sure did cost me time and money. I will certainly be more cautious next time.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
A love note to Dominicans

One of the great things about the people here is that Time is NOT money. So this family, of the internet cafe -who have known me for two years, are willing to spend hours of their own time with me --- and gas. etc, etc, to help make it right.. Sure, there is the router for sale but it does not make up for the genuine kindness and care that I feel which makes it ok that there are thieves here..... well .. where are there not thieves?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
But I suspect that this is all just a HUGE SCAM to get the 5000 - or 8000pesos for the boxes,,,, which will NEVER work... DEFRAUD the government of the tax money... And then crawl back under the rock from whence they came....Of course they may keep the service working for a few months in Naco and Piantini before they scurry back....

OneMax are very well backed (Americans/Dominicans) and headed by the guy that was responsible for brining Orange to the DR and making them very successful here. They don't have a history of scamming people, they have a history of delivering.

They're a startup and rolling out technology that is not available in most parts of the world. Expect them to have problems, just like most startups suffer, not just in the DR, but many other parts of the world.

The joys of early adopters! hehehhe

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Resolution

Went with the team - the two Dominicans- to the Acropolis sales booth- where they have two computers running but they are not on One Max- or at least they said that my French friend could not try out his own laptop inside the building since it did not work there.. They sent us to Herrerra to the posh offices. Where, after a small nervous outbreak,,, and two consults, I got a receipt for the full refund of my money. Which theoretically I will get this Friday..... BTW... when asked if she was lonely - sitting there in the office all day, the girl at the desk said, oh no.. there have been about thirty people in today to return the equipment..

Robert - how can a company have a history of delivering if they have just started in business? And I don?t know what I did wrong in the search options...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Robert - how can a company have a history of delivering if they have just started in business? And I don?t know what I did wrong in the search options...

Read my post again, I said...

OneMax are very well backed (Americans/Dominicans) and headed by the guy that was responsible for brining Orange to the DR and making them very successful here. They don't have a history of scamming people, they have a history of delivering.

They, the team (Americans/Dominicans) have a history of delivering. Hence also the reference to Orange here.