start up cost for a call center

tilinmarte

Aug 29, 2007
Does anyone have an Idea of what the costs are on a "starting up a call center in Santiago" I hear there are great opportunities there . Something small and managable of course to start off with...

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
That is much too hard to answer without a lot more information. It is like asking how much to start up a store!

Where?
Inbound or Outbound?
Size?
Number of staff?
Etc etc etc etc...................

We have many DR1 members qualified to help you!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Does anyone have an Idea of what the costs are on a "starting up a call center in Santiago" I hear there are great opportunities there . Something small and managable of course to start off with...

For an eight seat starter you are looking at six months rent upfront. For each station you need $200 per desk and comfortable chair.

The dsl from codotel for a business so you can get voip is $1000 per month. With flash premium

Bottom line is you are looking between $6-10k.

Feb 7, 2007
The dsl from codotel for a business so you can get voip is $1000 per month. With flash premium

What do you mean US$1000 or RD$1000? Because it's neither...
Codetel
Plan Internet Flash con 1 IP Fija 1,024/ 768kbps
Velocidad: 1,024kbps/768kbps

It's RD$6,656 with taxes included, about US$200 per month.

Also Plan Avanzodo 2
http://www.codetel.com.do/contenido.aspx?id=2226
Plan Avanzado 2 de Internet Flash Negocios
Velocidad: 1.5MB/768kbps

It's RD$3,648 with taxes included, about US$110 per month.

tilinmarte

Aug 29, 2007
Im not sure were to respond on post tread or quote section

Thank you that is the information i've been looking for so I'm getting closer . . Where is the opportuntiy to get clients how can one go about that . So If I had my own office that would be a head start - "no rent". This seems a little bit more realistic business than what i had planned down there an Insuranc Office. Send a more inforamtion thanks ---

For an eight seat starter you are looking at six months rent upfront. For each station you need $200 per desk and comfortable chair.

Bottom line is you are looking between $6-10k.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
What do you mean US$1000 or RD$1000? Because it's neither...
Codetel
Plan Internet Flash con 1 IP Fija 1,024/ 768kbps
Velocidad: 1,024kbps/768kbps

It's RD$6,656 with taxes included, about US$200 per month.

Also Plan Avanzodo 2
Codetel
Plan Avanzado 2 de Internet Flash Negocios
Velocidad: 1.5MB/768kbps

It's RD$3,648 with taxes included, about US$110 per month.

There are two prices with codotel or at least there was when they were called verizon. There is a price for businesses and for residential. They charge more if you are a business. When i closed my account they charged another $1500 . I may have been ripped off but get used to it here.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Thank you that is the information i've been looking for so I'm getting closer . . Where is the opportuntiy to get clients how can one go about that . So If I had my own office that would be a head start - "no rent". This seems a little bit more realistic business than what i had planned down there an Insuranc Office. Send a more inforamtion thanks ---

Advertising is how you find clients. Telemarketing journals and newspapers are good. If you do not have any telemarketing experience i would not reccomend starting this business. I have owned other call centers but the quality of the local labor is terrible and i closed my office in POP.

I had hired the best English speaking Dominicans from Americall and they could not even generate one sale in 30 days and i had them try 3 different campaigns. The locals are better at inbound customer service than outbound sales so keep that in mind when choosing a campaign.

If you have never been a telemarketer you will not succeed.

I am back in business with a new business model which is doing quite well as I will only hire Americans.

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
I am back in business with a new business model which is doing quite well as I will only hire Americans.
??????????????

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
??????????????

I lost money hiring Dominicans but am making money hiring Americans and Canadians. Does this answer your ?????????

Feb 7, 2007
There are two prices with codotel or at least there was when they were called verizon. There is a price for businesses and for residential. They charge more if you are a business. When i closed my account they charged another $1500 . I may have been ripped off but get used to it here.

The prices I stated are from codetel's website, under Negocios (business).

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
I lost money hiring Dominicans but am making money hiring Americans and Canadians. Does this answer your ?????????

Not really, but I guess you did not HIRE the good Dominicans sales people, so indee your HR did not do their job well...............

santiago2008

Apr 24, 2008
Thats right Tall.......i did work in Americall for 7 months and there you would find a lot good sellers and fruent in english, mostly we were working with insurances and everybody was doing at least 5 sells per day...
Another thing is you are more than right about his HR person..he/She didnt make the job since probably just hired those guys that speak good english but have their mind in drugs...(Deported) Americall was full of them

thanx

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Not really, but I guess you did not HIRE the good Dominicans sales people, so indee your HR did not do their job well...............

It's hard to find good telemarketers regardless of where they are from i just lost another one today because he could not stay sober and missed 3 days work.

The HR department does it's best to try and screen these people the key is experience. But some do slip through the cracks.

I make money either way now as I choose my campaigs that are not commission only. I can now hire all of the losers in the world.

The longevity is the only concern

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
It's hard to find good telemarketers regardless of where they are from i just lost another one today because he could not stay sober and missed 3 days work.

The HR department does it's best to try and screen these people the key is experience. But some do slip through the cracks.

I make money either way now as I choose my campaigs that are not commission only. I can now hire all of the losers in the world.

The longevity is the only concern

I agree with the with you on the longevity part, and belive me I KNOW is hard to find really good sales reps sometimes here in DR, I am wondering if the draw pay system for commission sales is legal here.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
My understanding is that it is not legal.

I have built successful sales teams made up entirely of Dominicans several times, here is some free consulting for all you wannabe's.

There are exceptions to all of the following, but if you want to experiment wait till you have a solid foundation first.

1) If you are in the DR, hire Dominicans. In other words, don't hire lost tourists, expats or Haitians. People who can’t make it in their own country are losers. Losers are bad salespeople. (That’s why we call them losers)

2) Don't fear the deportees. (Don’t take any crap from them either, of course) They look and talk rough, but they will give you far less trouble than the DR born and bred mama's boys with the shiny shoes and button down shirts. (you know, the ones who need a job because mommy doesn't give them enough money to put gas in daddy's car and cruise around all night) I have been frequently ripped off by the latter, rarely by the former, who have been around the block and usually have enough sense not to bite the hand that feeds. (and unlike the latter usually lack the connections to get away with murder)

3) Hire young people with a lot of energy and very little (preferably no) experience. If you want a drink of water, it is much easier to start with an empty glass than one that is full of crap. Be especially wary of people with previous experience in other call centers. They left for a reason, and rarely a good one. Good people are VERY hard to find, it is slightly easier to ROLL YOUR OWN.

4) Don’t give anybody more than a week on the sales floor to show you what they got. You will never regret firing someone too soon. The world is full of people who want a job, but very few of them want to work. It takes a certain kind of person to sell, as soon as you know you are not dealing with that kind, give up hope immediately and find somebody else. You can't teach a minnow to be a shark.

5) Get rid of non-productive people as soon as you can. They weigh the rest of the team down. You put a good sales person and a bad one together and the bad one will have a much greater effect on the good one than vice-versa. In my experience if a team of agents can make X sales a day, getting rid of the least productive 50% agents will have very little effect on production. (And a huge effect on payroll)

6) Salespeople burn out. In my business they give their best work between the 3rd and 9th month of their employment. By the time they have been around a year, if they are not ready to move up into management, they won’t be good for much else either. Sales can be a lot like boxing, (I mean in terms of dealing with rejection) no matter how good you are you can only get hit in the head so many times before it starts to affect you. So make sure there is a place for the ones you want to keep in management and constantly train replacements.

I could go on, but I can’t really afford to keep giving this stuff away.