Cost of living comparison by DR city

Broward

Jul 16, 2007
I've noticed that many items in the stores cost more in Santo Domingo than in the US although rents, taxis, and services are less.
I would thing Santo Domingo has the highest cost of living in the Dominican Republic.

Any comments as to which parts of the DR offer the best cost of living values for a typical US expat?
I'm most interested in the bigger cities.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The sales are better in the cities, mainly in Santo Domingo because there is more competition and volume. Prices are higher in tourist areas, but the large supermarket chains are moving into these areas. At those places, residents can have access to better prices than at the smaller stores.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Here's a clue: Las Terrenas = very expensive !!!
;)
(but we've got the best beaches of the island !!!)

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I've noticed that many items in the stores cost more in Santo Domingo than in the US although rents, taxis, and services are less.
I would thing Santo Domingo has the highest cost of living in the Dominican Republic.

Any comments as to which parts of the DR offer the best cost of living values for a typical US expat?
I'm most interested in the bigger cities.

If you are only asking about large cities,I do not know...but,I live in SD and Samana,El Limon.and I can tell you that it is almost double the price for about anything in El Limon or Las Terrenas as here in the city.I am talking about food...most restaurants are more in Samana,as well as rent and elec. is also higher.Appliances and auto parts are way more in LT also,most people who live there travel to La Capital or Santiago,as well as Nagua to do any shopping,this includes the Dominican family also...
The central valley region is historically the least expensive for living,Cibao,Cotui,that area...
bob

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Compared to most of the DR, Jarabacoa is a veritable bargain.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I would say Santiago and surrounding areas are quite cheap... If you rent a house in Villa Gonzales, it should be "dirt cheap"...

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Everything is relative, also. People who live in the big cities have more temptations to spend. The big cities would be Santo Domingo and Santiago.

Next level and their big department stores would be San Francisco de Macoris (Sirena), La Romana and San Pedro de Macoris (Jumbo). Higuey is a big city but it yet doesn't have a megastore.

Punta Cana is fast developing into another well-served area given that more and more Dominicans are relocating there. A Jumbo is planned for Punta Cana.

Feb 7, 2007
Everything is relative, also. People who live in the big cities have more temptations to spend. The big cities would be Santo Domingo and Santiago.

Next level and their big department stores would be San Francisco de Macoris (Sirena), La Romana and San Pedro de Macoris (Jumbo). Higuey is a big city but it yet doesn't have a megastore.

In Higuey there is Iberia, which is quite big, not the size of Jumbo in Megacentro, but regular sized Jumbo or La Sirena yes.