Volunteering in the DR

playa2

Apr 15, 2008
I am tentatively set to be going to the DR in September, to do some volunteer work with students learning French. I will be working with a Canadian teacher who is employed with the schools in and around the bateyes near Consuelo, in the San Pedro de Macoris province.

This arrangement was organized by another Canadian who lives in the DR and works for the Encuentro Dominicano con Fe y Hospitalidad (Dominican Encounter with Faith & Hospitality) organization, based out of Santo Domingo. He has arranged for me to be living with a family in Consuelo, and apparently there is a daughter in the family who is attending medical school nearby, and who speaks fluent English.

I am just wondering if anyone has any information about this general area, what I should watch out for, and what other places I should try to visit while I am there (I understand there is a bus station not too far from where I will be staying). I am planning on staying until mid-December, so I am hoping to be able to do some exploring.

I am also wondering if anyone knows of possible part-time work that I may be able to find when I get there...I will be working in the schools, but it would also be nice to have some source of income on the side...any ideas?

Are there any other non-locals living in this area? I would really like to make some contacts and "meet" a few people before I go!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I am just wondering if anyone has any information about this general area, what I should watch out for, and what other places I should try to visit while I am there (I understand there is a bus station not too far from where I will be staying). I am planning on staying until mid-December, so I am hoping to be able to do some exploring.

Watch out for sankies. And be a little careful. Don't flash cash, look like a tourist, wear gold jewellry and keep you mobile hidden.

San Pedro de MAcoris is 15 mins down the road, good supermarkets, Malecon is good fun at weekends, and good bands. Nice caves about 20 mins away on the way to La Romana and you can visit Altos de Chavon, Isla Catalina and Isla Saona are all easy to get to.

Juan Dolio, tourist (well a few) beach town with bars and restaurants is 30 mins away by bus, and the Capital an hour away. All again easy by public transport.

I am also wondering if anyone knows of possible part-time work that I may be able to find when I get there...I will be working in the schools, but it would also be nice to have some source of income on the side...any ideas?

Part time is often difficult, but there is full time work in the Free Zone in San Pedro.

Are there any other non-locals living in this area? I would really like to make some contacts and "meet" a few people before I go!

Plenty of non-locals in Juan Dolio, the odd one in Consuelo, and a few in San Pedro, plus a lot of US medical students in San Pedro

You should have a great time!!! And welcome

Matilda

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006

I would suggest you bring your spending money with you. If you are volunteering in Consuelo, working on the side will probably not be a possibility. If you do get a job you will likely be paid minimum wages (which will probably not be enough for north american spending standards).

If you are there to work and volunteer you shouldn't need much spending money, should you?

Don't forget, get insurance honey! :bunny: