What to pack (clothing/bags)

LadyEph87

May 3, 2008
Hello,

I've been searching the forum for at least an hour now, and I'm having a hard time finding tips on what women should wear. So far, it seems that shorts are generally frowned upon outside of the beach context but that otherwise, almost anything goes. Since I'm going to DR (specifically, Santiago and SD) to do research on the culture (I'll be visiting restaurants, museums, churches, schools, libraries, etc.; perusing street vendors, and hopefully talking with as many locals as possible) it's important that my clothes don't scream "GRINGA" or "TOURIST." Can anyone provide a little more guidance than this "anything (but shorts) goes"? Should (can) I plan on bringing lots of day dresses/skirts without standing out? Do I bank on a jeans and a tank/tee type of "uniform"? What types of footwear are acceptable/common for women?

Also, since I'll be "mingling" and "exploring" (for lack of a better word) for the bulk of my trip, would it be advisable to count on bringing a backpack with me or am i better off using some other type of bag (a purse? a messenger bag? a tote bag?) What's going blend in but also be practical enough for me to do my research?

Thanks (again)!

J

John Evans

jeans and a red blouse would fit in well or a black trouser suit for the city with white blouse------I thank you

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
If you go into any government facilities you will need to have your arms covered. I had on a short sleeve top and they asked me to leave and get a sweater. Luckily someone had one in the car and I was able to put it on and get re-admitted.

I would not recommend carrying a purse, but rather a backpack so your hands are free. My backpack has only one zipper compartment and then the drawstrings at the top.

I specifically pack slacks or capris that have deep pockets that I can put my money in, small money in one pocket, paper money in another. I don't carry more than I think I'll need for any particular day.

For your feet, most people wear flip flops or if you're in business attire, high heels, or if your business is 'night business' very high heels! In Santo Domingo on business I wore a suit and high heels (felt funny since the day before I was in flip flops) and I fit right in.

Hope this helps.

If you have specific questions, PM me.

Good luck.
Ro

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It depends on your personal style, but I've travelled to the DR and other Latin American/Caribbean countries for work since my 20s and for the cities I've always worn loose cotton or linen blouses and trousers and low-heeled shoes or sandals. Simple cotton or linen dresses or skirts are also practical.

It's not quite what the locals wear, but it is much more practical for the climate. You will be here during the hottest and most humid time of year and if you are not acclimatised you will suffer if you choose tight jeans and lycra tops which is what most young women here wear. Loose jeans and baggy tops will look too informal.

If you're wearing a sleeveless blouse, have a light jacket handy for some public buildings, formal meetings and excessive air-conditioning in places like banks.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
You are getting some useful info here. For gov't, museums and churches you need to dress respectfully. Covered arms and shoulders, no really short skirts. A nice pair of dress pants or skirt is always appropriate.

For street wear and mingling many locals wear jeans / capris / skirts. Tank tops that are not too revealing or beachy are fine too. Local women don't wear flip flops but they do wear sandals. What to wear on your feet should depend somewhat on where you are walking, navigating uneven pavement and sidewalks can be challenging. You will see women in high heels all the time - I don't know how they don't end up with more broken ankles!!!!

Some of this will also be dependent on your transportation. Getting on and off a motoconcho in a skirt is challenging! For that jeans or capris. In a carro publico you would want pants as well or a skirt that is not tight or too short.

Backpacks are fine but the women here carry large purses. Kind of acts like a carry all in my opinion. Carry money in your pockets when you can. Keep your purse close to you at all times with a decent grip on it. If you are on public transportation and motoconchos be very careful of your purse.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
So far so good. No flip flops...unless you are at the beach, and then I'd suggest Crocs..

HB

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
when i was in SD in february, i spent my days volunteering and my evenings exploring the city and meeting people. i packed half my suitcase with lululemon stuff, cargo pants, tshirts and ballerina-type flat shoes to be comfortable running after the kids all day and the other half of my suitcase with jeans, dressier tops and heels/wedges for the evening. i brought a pair of flip flops but didnt wear them once. the key is good packing!

i carried a purse in the evenings but during the day, i had one of those small messanger bags i could throw over my shoulder.