travel from US to DR prescription meds ?

jannybitt

May 14, 2008
Hi everyone!

Stumbled across this site, and have read some great information on here. I have a question, hoping to get a reply from someone who has actually experienced this.
My husband and I are traveling to D.R. next week, and my question is in regard to a prescription I am on, and must stay on! I am on Morphine IR tablets. I have searched everywhere and have called two embassies in regard to this and got two different replies. My understanding is that I am to put my medication in it's original container, and have my doctor write a letter on office stationery stating that this is my medication, that it is medically necessary for me to take on a daily basis. The person that we are renting a villa from says he travels all over the world, and is on a dozen meds for his illness, and they keep a letter from the doctor, and he told me to just be firm about the necessity of my medication. I thought I would keep just what I needed in there for the amount of days I'm going to be there, and leae the remainder at home as it is rather large quantity and just got it filled.
Anyone with information would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks! ;)

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Sorry I can not address your question directly. But I strongly suggest you bring more then you think you will need in the event you have a delay in your return home. One never knows. I can tell you we have brought in a suit case full of over the counter meds without issue. We brought them in mostly becuase they were cheaper back home and in some cases could not be found here. The letter from your doctor sounds like a real good idea. With that letter and your meds in the proper container I would guess you will not have any problems. Good Luck Phil

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This is a non issue unless you make it one. Just pack it in your suitcase and forget about it. Enjoy your stay here.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I agree with SKY: Are you going to waltz in and say: Hey everyone, I'm on morphine!!???
I don't think so.
Just come in like a "normal" tourist and enjoy your stay...you have your letter only as a back up..

HB

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Also, if you don't want to take the entire bottle with you, do take some extras as The Virginian suggests.

When I used to come here on vacation, I always asked my pharmacy to prepare a second, smaller bottle with the prescription information on it. They would do it as a courtesy, and then I would put the number of capsules or tablets of the medication I thought I might need into that instead of taking the entire large bottle.

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
In all the times I have travelled to the DR, I have never had anyone question me about the medicines in my luggage and carry-on. I don't think it will be a problem, but having the letter as a back-up sounds like a good idea "just in case".

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Hillbilly is correct. Just pack it and forget it. However try to have it in the original prescription bottle. Also bring it in your carryon not is your packed luggage to prevent pilfering. A letter in your back pocket is also a good idea. The dhances of you being stopped and questioned are nil.
Enjoy your stay.

Bob K