Need spare car keys.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
We picked up a new car (used Honda CRV-EX) and only have one key. It has the micro circuit board in the head of the key. We only have one and we want 2 more. Any idea where I can get these? We live in POP. Thanks Phil

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is a locksmith next to Supermarket Messerio in PP. You can try there.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Uh huh, You'll have to go to Honda in Santo Domingo--Agencia Bella. I am pretty sure that is the only way...
Ordinary locksmiths can't do that sort of thing....

HB

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Uh huh, You'll have to go to Honda in Santo Domingo--Agencia Bella. I am pretty sure that is the only way...
Ordinary locksmiths can't do that sort of thing....

HB

Yes, this is the only way. I know it from personal experience. And don't forget to bring with you the registration of the car.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
And expect to pay probably RD$2500 for each copy - that's what Ford wanted when I asked for extra keys with the chip in them...

TheHun

May 4, 2008
I'm in the US and it takes only a phone call to our local dealer to get keys or see how much they want for a spare key. If you want I can call them, but I need the VIN#. Since I'm in the car business, I have about 20% discounts with them.
TheHun

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
If you bought a used car and haven't gotten 2 original keys and a service key, you would not be ill advised to CHANGE keys and locks! Sometimes "lost" keys may miraculously reappear and your car disappear, very coincidentally of course all at the same time. :bunny:

... J-D.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
If you bought a used car and haven't gotten 2 original keys and a service key, you would not be ill advised to CHANGE keys and locks! Sometimes "lost" keys may miraculously reappear and your car disappear, very coincidentally of course all at the same time. :bunny:

... J-D.

That is also true! I'm a BMW / Volvo tech, and I can add-remove keys to the cars ECM on those models -I do not work on Hondas on the dealer level, so I can't talk for those - so even if you can open the door, turn the key in the ignition the car still won't crank, actually it can set the alarm. In a country, like DR -and no offense to those who respect personal property- I'd go to the dealer, remove any existing keys from the car's brain, and add 2-3 new regardless of cost.

TheHun

megabiteme

[ - Mute Button -] Click!
Jan 9, 2008
yes

And expect to pay probably RD$2500 for each copy - that's what Ford wanted when I asked for extra keys with the chip in them...

You are correct! I'm a former parts manager of ford motor company. the key is called a pats key and it does need to be programmed as well. if you stick just the copy of the key into your ignition, you will lose your code within the pats system therefore leaving your car/truck stuck and needing to be towed to a local dealer. This is what can be done, make a copy of your pats key, check with a tech at a dealer and ask him/her how many times you need to turn the copied key in the ignition. Fords are 4 times and after the key returns to the off position, the door locks are activated letting you know that the key is now programmed. these pats keys are expensive and the fords run between 39-100 depending on what model. But I know you do not have a ford. Also, you may get lucky if the use a non genuine pats key so it will be much cheaper. But than again, your in the land of corruption, so perhaps you will pay for a key that does not even work--lol kidding! but good luck to you. ;)

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Honda crv keys

We had keys made at a local locksmith in Sosua and mail ordered remotes . They came with Honda factory instructions & we programmed them ourselves successfully.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Abuela, what process would I follow to order remotes? Any problems with the keys the locksmith in Sosua made? If not, where is he/she located exactly. thanks Phil

AND thanks everyone for your help

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
phil, what year is the car? newer cars more problem, older cars easier to do. i also think you should change the locks and have new keys. miesposo has a trusted cerrajero (locksmith), here in POP. this is the same edgar we recommended for opening someone's safe with dead batteries (took 42 seconds). 809 310 6770, spanish only.
he is not cheap but he does great job and can be trusted 100%.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
You are correct! I'm a former parts manager of ford motor company. the key is called a pats key and it does need to be programmed as well. if you stick just the copy of the key into your ignition, you will lose your code within the pats system therefore leaving your car/truck stuck and needing to be towed to a local dealer. This is what can be done, make a copy of your pats key, check with a tech at a dealer and ask him/her how many times you need to turn the copied key in the ignition. Fords are 4 times and after the key returns to the off position, the door locks are activated letting you know that the key is now programmed. these pats keys are expensive and the fords run between 39-100 depending on what model. But I know you do not have a ford. Also, you may get lucky if the use a non genuine pats key so it will be much cheaper. But than again, your in the land of corruption, so perhaps you will pay for a key that does not even work--lol kidding! but good luck to you. ;)

P.A.T.S. - Passive Anti Theft Security, it's a "Ford" thing....

Late model Honda cars have a "Honda Immobilization System" computer chip (chip key- anti theft resistor). It is the basis of Honda's passive anti-theft systems (key recognition)- it takes more than a properly cut key to start the engine, the key has to match the car's programming. This, in addition to your Honda remote which is recognized only by your car, is a part of your car's theft prevention.

If you need a Honda replacement key, you will need to buy it through Honda (expensive) or through a vendor/locksmith who specializes in programming (cloning) keys and remotes for your Honda (if your year was equipped w/ remotes).

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
If you go to a locksmith they can copy the key and it will open the door. Its only the ignition that needs the computer chip. If you are satisfied with only being able to open the door you will save a lot of money. Anyone else agree???

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If you go to a locksmith they can copy the key and it will open the door. Its only the ignition that needs the computer chip. If you are satisfied with only being able to open the door you will save a lot of money. Anyone else agree???

What is the point of being able to get into the car & not being able to drive it???
You kind of lost me here.