Looking for German Shepherd puppy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Please contact me via PM if you have a source for a German Shepherd puppy, not a full grown dog. Will also consider a Rottweiler.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Our new dog story- Beware of Caribe Tours -No Pets allowed

Part of this post was included in a post about renewing my residency in Santo Domingo, which was actually quickly and easily done:

BUT, then our real adventure started. We went to visit relatives that live quite close to the immigration office. While chatting with our relatives, they asked about our dog,
which had recently been killed when he was accidentally let out and ventured for his first and last time into the main highway. He was a very nice German Shepherd. We mentioned we were looking for another dog and were told there was a veterinarian with a number of
pure bred dogs close to the bust station. So we went to see what he had available. The choices were another German Shepherd with very dark coloring, a female Rottweiler, two Chow Chows, a Shar Pei, what looked like Jack Russell terrier and several Chihuahuas. We were strongly considering a male Rottweiler this time and the Vet knew someone that had two
other puppies for sale. He went to get them and returned quickly. One of them was a male and we decided to purchase that animal and closed the deal. All of the dogs we saw were in good condition and would have been good choices depending upon your desires for a pet.

We got a ride to the Caribe Tours bus station with our new puppy to find out that Caribe Tours does not allow the transport of animals (including birds, by the way I guess they don't want any cockfights on their buses!)
There were no exceptions to this rule, so now we were potentially stuck in Santo Domingo and had to find an alternate way back to Cabarete.
Here is what we ended up having to do after consulting a worker of Caribe Tours:

From Caribe Tours, we took a taxi to the station for Transporte Espinal where we bought a bus ticket to Santiago. Transporte Espinal has similar style buses to Caribe Express and had no problems with us taking the dog. They were even playing a recent DVD in English and when that was done they had local TV. Espinal is more of a short-trip service than Caribe Tours. We were told Espinal also has service from Santiago to Puerto Plata, BUT by the time we arrived in Santiago we missed the last bus. So we had to take a Guagua from Santiago to Puerto Plata with the standard 12 people in vehicle with an 8 seat maximum. We had to wait for about 40 minutes while enough people showed up to make fill the vehicle.

When we arrived in Puerto Plata about an hour later, we took a public car to Sosua with 4 of our new close friends. In Sosua and approached 11:30 PM, we took a regular taxi home and arrived about 15 minutes before midnight. The dog we purchased was amazing good during the trip. He had no "accidents" and hardly a sound came from him. He slept about half the time and when awake he just generally seemed to enjoy the trip more than we did. The overall experience was similar to taking a round trip from NY to California within one day.

A long day it was, and a rare one in the DR that we could actually accomplish
two such major things as residency renewal and finding a dog to purchase in just one day. Those of you who have lived here for any time at all know what I mean.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
yeah mountain frogs girl just had her litter of 5 a few weeks ago!! I'll try and get contact info for you!!

megabiteme

[ - Mute Button -] Click!
Jan 9, 2008
info about rotts

Please contact me via PM if you have a source for a German Shepherd puppy, not a full grown dog. Will also consider a Rottweiler.

Let me know if you want info about the breed of rottweiler, i had many in the past. if you decide on this breed, make sure you check their blood lines the seller should have good quality papers, meaning the family tree for all its relatives. If the mother or father has hip dysplasia or any of its other lines do not buy its puppy. Make sure you get certified papers otherwise you will be really paying for a mutt. look at some online photos, you can see good quality rotts by their markings and round head. they do not look like a lab nor a dolby, if they do, its a bad mix of blood lines. this breed is just wonderful! great guard dogs, very playful, very smart, most important, very, very loving and loyal to its owner.

lasalsa

Apr 9, 2008
Hello,

May I ask how much the going rate for a PURE Bred GSD is there in D.R.? Or a Rottie?

Were you informed of the temperment of the Parents and also the health History? Some Back yard Breeders don't care about the Dog's, as long as they have PAPERS.

I'm glad you found a new member of the family.

Good Luck.

Richie

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Rottweiler with papers price

The price for a female Rottweiler with papers was 8,000 pesos in Santo Domingo.

Megabitme, thanks for mentioning the coloration markings. The markings appeared to be correct on all of the Rottweilers that I saw in Santo Domingo at this particular vet.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is a German Shepard Club in Santo Domingo. Monsignor Agripino Nu?ez has some outstanding GS dogs.

HB