What type of phone?

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
I will be down for 8 weeks this summer and will need phone service. I have Boost service here in Miami and that will not work down in the Dom Rep. Will any phone brand such as T mobile , cingular etc work if there is a sim card and I use the orange card service? Or should I sign up for a local plan there? Thanks!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Bring an un locked GSM phone, and buy an Orange SIM. They just need your passport.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
An AT&T/Cingular phone is GSM and will work on Orange as long as it is "unlocked", which can be done for free by AT&T, or buy a cheapie "Unlocked" GSM phone on eBay.
Make sure it is either Quad band or functions on 850/1900, which is the US and Dominican GSM protocol as well.

GSM phones use a SIM card, CDMA phones do not!

Last edited:

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
GSM codes

Call your service provider in the US before you leave and they will give you the unlock code to allow an Orange sim card to work

megabiteme

[ - Mute Button -] Click!
Jan 9, 2008
website

I will be down for 8 weeks this summer and will need phone service. I have Boost service here in Miami and that will not work down in the Dom Rep. Will any phone brand such as T mobile , cingular etc work if there is a sim card and I use the orange card service? Or should I sign up for a local plan there? Thanks!

There was a website when at&t changed over to cingular I think it was called Unlock.com. I went there because i had a v-60 motorola and it worked great! check it out for i just verified if i was giving the correct web address and it is.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
There was a website when at&t changed over to cingular I think it was called Unlock.com. I went there because i had a v-60 motorola and it worked great! check it out for i just verified if i was giving the correct web address and it is.

All that website gives me is POP ups, and a choice of 50 websites that have the word UNLOCK???

Thanks!

Last edited: